Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rank your films from worst to best

I've been keeping track of the films I use and ranking them from best to worst. Here's my list. It's fluid and ever changing. I also have a lot more films to try too. Plus, this all color film for now. There's a whole world of black and white to explore too. With perseverance and hard work I'll get through them all. Next year same time it will read differently.

To keep you reading all the way through I put the list together upside down!

8. Kodak Ultramax 400 - This stuff feels like a "minimum viable product". It contains light sensitive silver halide that can be processed in C-41. Beyond that it's useless to me.

7. Fujifilm Fujicolor 200 - Fuji has their own version of Kodak Ultramax 400. It's only benefit over Ultramax 400 is the slightly finer grain. It's good for testing old cameras.

6. Fujifilm Superia 400 - If it weren't for the grain of 400 speed film I think Superia 400 would easily jump into my top three. It's a bit cooler than Kodak's formulas but still nice.

5. Kodak Ektar 100 - I really want to like this film. It's super sharp and the grain is exceptionally smooth. I'm still having a hard time with the saturated tones though. It may jump to #4 with practice.

4. Fujichrome Velvia 100 - The colors explode and the contrast is super high! Landscape and nature scenes have a surreal magical look but I had bad luck with people and skin tones.

3. Agfa Vista 200 - Punchy saturated colors and good contrast. Skin tones are a little weak though. It used to be my #1 film but two others managed to knock it down to #3.

2. Kodak Portra 160 - This film definitely favors skin tones at the expense of others. I like this film but not so much as a general purpose work horse film. It's also kind of expensive.

1. Kodak Gold 200 - My #1! I was really surprised at how well balanced and warm the colors come through on this film. Contrast and saturation is just right too.

What's your list like?

11-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know just the Kodak Gold 200. My father used it and the photos have nice colours
11-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
7. Fujifilm Fujicolor 200 - Fuji has their own version of Kodak Ultramax 400. It's only benefit over Ultramax 400 is the slightly finer grain. It's good for testing old cameras.
Fuji 200 is my camera-tester also. It exposes consistently and is the cheapest test roll out there. I have purchased more Fuji 200 this year than any other film.

Ektar, Portra, and Velvia are all on my "good" list*. Each has its uses, so I can't exactly compare them except by quantity I have used in a year. In order of most to least, its Velvia, Ektar, Portra.

I don't think I have used KodaColor Gold in over ten years. If they still make it, maybe I should buy some.

* Clarification
I also use a wide variety of b&w.
Much of the film I use is 120 roll-film.
11-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Acros 100 in 35mm

Acros 100 in 120

Apparently there other emulsions 😊