Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From M to Av to P: The Wonders of Hyper-Program Mode

I thought that, since I do not see any, I would start a thread praising Pentax's handy Hyper-Program mode.

I started learning photography with fully manual film cameras which taught me much about light and exposure. But when I switched to digital, I found myself migrating to aperture priority much more because it was quicker and more convenient.

For years I have had all my cameras (with the functionality) locked to Av mode. I would view the scene, visualize the distance to the subject and my choice for depth of field, then set the appropriate aperture. Of course, scenes would occasionally necessitated the use of Tv or even M, but Av best fit my style of photography.

Then something happened: I looked at the mode dial on my K-5IIs, depressed the locking mechanism, and turned it to P.

Now, I have always known about using the green button for program shift in Av, Tv, and M modes, but I never cared to take the time to explore P mode. I suppose I had always figured that I, being the photographer, must be in control; that if I were to trust the camera too much, I may as well be using my phone to take pictures. But my curiosity got the best of me.

As I looked through the viewfinder with my camera set to P, I got a hint of the surprisingly intelligent exposure choices the camera made, which were often not too unlike my own. I was impressed, but I was not expecting what would happen next.

By force of habit, I turned the real dial of the body and something happened: a line appeared under the f-stop and the value changed accordingly! I had just discovered Hyper-Program! It even worked with the time value as well. And what's more is a simple press of the green button shifted the values back to the program line!

Now my camera is permanently set to P which means it is always set to Av, Tv, and Sv!

So I just wanted to make a post expressing my new favorite mode, and newfound love for Pentax and my K-5IIs. I'm not sure if other brands have this feature as well, but I know they don't have a green button.

Please chime in with your thoughts, experiences, or what ever. And thanks for reading!

12-03-2014, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to explain Hyper-Program to a Canon-using friend and got the most amazed look. The idea that you can override the current program at will is totally mind-boggling.

Steve
12-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

I've always heard people talk about this "Green Button Magic"...........but never really tried to use it. This is interesting the way it's explain here though, cause like you I shoot in AV mode 90% of the time and M the rest. If camera misses exposure with AV I usually just use M. Never even felt the need to shoot in other modes.
12-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, Pentax Hyper Program Mode rocks!

How dare you say such a thing, when everyone knows that if you want to even aspire to be a serious photographer, you need to shoot full frame, exclusively use F2.8 or faster lenses wide open, and, lest I forget, go fully manual!

Seriously, it does come in handy in photography to know your apertures, shutter speeds, and sensitivities (along with some other basics). And, yes, you will become a better photographer by taking control and actively influencing what the camera is going to do. Yet, photography is also about composition, and I will appreciate almost anything that will prevent me from getting too much bogged down by the technical aspect of it, and help me concentrate on seeing and finding the best frame.

I've been using P Mode most of the time since I picked up my first Pentax DSLR, a K-7, back in 2009. As a deliberate choice, because Hyper Program works surprisingly well when used in intelligent ways. By which I mean as long as you carefully select your Program Line, routinely check what the camera is suggesting, and make ample use of your front and rear dials. If you remember that you may have to change Auto ISO manually, or dial in some exposure compensation. In fact, I use all these ways of influencing and changing a lot, to the point where, when I check the EXIFs later, most of them will read Av, rather than P.

However, it is cool to always have an "exposure reset", a starting point to return to, by simply pressing that ingenious green button. I can stay in control and yet have a fairly adept (if by no means perfect) "assistant" at my fingertips that helps me concentrate on other essentials.

I'm not saying that Hyper Program Mode is the answer to any photographic challenge, nor was it ever intended to be, but it is certainly a welcome option to have on board, and one of the little things that I love about shooting Pentax. End of rant.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-03-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: grammar slip
12-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I tried to explain Hyper-Program to a Canon-using friend and got the most amazed look. The idea that you can override the current program at will is totally mind-boggling.
That's pretty funny. It has quickly sped up my success rate.

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
I've always heard people talk about this "Green Button Magic"...........but never really tried to use it. This is interesting the way it's explain here though, cause like you I shoot in AV mode 90% of the time and M the rest. If camera misses exposure with AV I usually just use M. Never even felt the need to shoot in other modes.
The green button is really handy, but Hyper-Program blows me away.

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I'm not saying that Hyper Program Mode is the answer to any photographic challenge, nor was it ever intended to be, but it is certainly a welcome option to have on board, and one of the little things that I love about shooting Pentax. End of rant.
Honestly, at this point I would be happy if my mode dial only had P, M, B, and Green (for when I hand it off). Av, Tv et al have become redundant (and I never understood the point of X when flash works the same in almost every mode).
12-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
It's the only thing I miss on the Canon 70D, which uses too slow of a shutter speed and too small of an aperture in P. Pentax P is customizable toward faster shutter speeds or smaller apertures, or "normal".
12-03-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what does P/Hyper Program actually DO? What advantages does it offer to an AV shooter like me?

12-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Pardon my ignorance, but what does P/Hyper Program actually DO? What advantages does it offer to an AV shooter like me?
I would think that you gain flexibility of jumping from Av to Tv mode as soon as you turn the rear or front dial (depending on how you program the dials) without changing the shooting mode dial (on left side of the camera), which should be locked.
12-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
If you're exclusively Av and never use P or Tv, then it probably offers no advantages. What it offers me is the speed and convenience of point & shoot use in P, but the control and flexibility of Av and Tv with the flick of a dial. Then the green button to bring it on home.
12-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

When I'm in the studio, I use X sync mode, for macro I often use M, otherwise it's P all the way, often overriding to Av. I just love how Pentax cameras work and operate.
12-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
When I'm in the studio, I use X sync mode, for macro I often use M, otherwise it's P all the way, often overriding to Av. I just love how Pentax cameras work and operate.
Could you explain how using X differs from just setting the sync speed in other modes, please?
12-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Could you explain how using X differs from just setting the sync speed in other modes, please?
It freezes the speed to 1/180, so I don't have to think about it. The rest operates as M mode. The main purpose (for me) is that since I use 1/3 steps for shutter speed, the camera jumps to 1/160 to above 1/180 (1/200 I believe). So with X I'm sure to always use the fastest shutter speed possible.

If for various reasons I want the ambiant to contribute, then I simply switch to manual.
12-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It freezes the speed to 1/180, so I don't have to think about it. The rest operates as M mode. The main purpose (for me) is that since I use 1/3 steps for shutter speed, the camera jumps to 1/160 to above 1/180 (1/200 I believe). So with X I'm sure to always use the fastest shutter speed possible.

If for various reasons I want the ambiant to contribute, then I simply switch to manual.
I see. Thanks for letting me know.
12-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

My wife's K-r is pretty much wielded to P. For her it's point and shoot, for me it's hyper program That's how we maintain peace at the house

P mode is more fun with my K20D though, where I have two dials. If I have an A lens on I tend to go back and forth between M and P modes.
12-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
My wife's K-r is pretty much wielded to P. For her it's point and shoot, for me it's hyper program That's how we maintain peace at the house
Same with my girlfriend. I got her to migrate from Green to P. I've been trying to teach her how to use HP.