Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using filters with screw-in lens hoods???

Just wondering, when using old style screw-in lens hoods, what's best...........having the filter attached to the lens and hood screwed into the filter..........or filter attached at the end of the hood? Or does it matter?

12-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've used both ways, and personally find I prefer /lens-filter-hood/ order.

basically the deeper you can get the glass parts (ie: filter) into the hood, the less likely it is to pick up reflection/glare.

For me, it also means it is simpler to remove the hood as needed.

The only time I change this is when shooting my 28mm lens, as my shorter hood still only JUST misses the corners of the frame, and the extra few mm of the filter causes corner shadowing.
I could easily fix that by buying the right hood though :P
12-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The hood is more of a protection of foreign objects from touching the glass element such as finger prints and smearing. So, it is better to have the hood on the outside.
12-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Uhmmmm..........reason I ask, is that all my filters are 67mm and use step rings to mount on different lenses. I have a 52mm thread on my Sears 135mm with no hood. My Elicar 90mm Macro has a 62mm lens thread and it's hood accepts 67mm. So, this would keep me from having to buy 2 extra step rings. Not a big deal or expense, but got me to wondering.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The hood is more of a protection of foreign objects from touching the glass element such as finger prints and smearing. So, it is better to have the hood on the outside.
They do more than that, I'm certain. From my personal experience, they help to control flare, sensor ghosting, and improve contrast. Especially on older lenses that don't have modern/special interior coatings that prevent internal reflections.

12-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
you can really lose contrast if strong light hits the filter, so the hood should cover the filter if at all possible.
for my filters on a step ring, i keep a couple of collapsible rubber hoods in my ring & filters bag.
12-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
got it........I'll also get a 52/67 ring, and a 67mm hood
12-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the "plastic fantastic" lenses (the DA35 f/2.4 and DA50 f/1.8), which do not support bayonet-style hoods, you will definitely want to put the filter first and then the screw-in hood. Even if you don't want to use filters, you'll want to get an empty metal ring you can leave attached all the time. The threads for those lenses are plastic, and while seemingly robust, screwing in hoods doesn't go all that smooth, so you want to do it as little as possible. Having a filter attached lets you screw into something metal.