Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I never anticipated so many feedback.
Thank You all.
"gaweidert" I'll look into the book

12-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I Look it in another light (pardon the pun!) You don't need to adjust the your camera settings to match you eyes, you need to adjust your brain to match you camera. You look for the light, the shadow, the leading lines, the contrast, the colour, and anything else that can draw your attention. Then you go home, photograph your cat and post that!
12-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ant11sam Quote
HOW can a person take a picture that matches what the eyes and the senses see?
So far as I'm concerned you are asking a question not of science or art but, rather, a philosophical one.

“'I, indeed, am this creation; for I have poured it forth from myself.' In that way I became the creation. And verily, he who knows this becomes in his creation a creator.”
― Upanishads

At the end of the day we are all prisoners of our own subjectivity - only the gods are not...

...but so far as photography is concerned a bit of skillful PP in Photoshop can sometimes help get us out of the box we are in.
12-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
I Look it in another light (pardon the pun!) You don't need to adjust the your camera settings to match you eyes, you need to adjust your brain to match you camera. You look for the light, the shadow, the leading lines, the contrast, the colour, and anything else that can draw your attention. Then you go home, photograph your cat and post that!
Bingo. We have a winner. This is what Ansel Adams did so well. It also helped that he had an eidetic memory. What he had developed was his own personal Zone System. In fact the Zone System is pretty much his thought process put into writing so the rest of us can do what he did. To him, every photographic subject fit into a contrast range or zone. When he determined what zone it was in he now knew what he had to do to make a good photograph of it.