Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hexism Quote
... By the way, worst case scenario, no no to driving, YARTS is the best transport right? ...
In my opinion, yes. Welcome to the Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System (YARTS) - Public Transit to Yosemite

By the way, as a beginner, you do NOT need to shoot in Manual. That is the more "professional" but also more difficult mode, with more variables to remember. Your new camera is a technological marvel that will take very good photos in all modes. Until you learn a bit about exposure and shutter, I recommend staying in either "P" (Program Mode) or better yet, "Av" (Aperture Mode.) If you are not sure about depth of field, set the aperture to f/8 for close to medium distances or f/11 or f/16 for "big" landscapes and try a shot. If the shutter speed is so slow that your shots aren't sharp, increase the ISO a little. Better yet, put the camera on a tripod and forget about the shutter speed. If you don't have a cable release, set the camera on the self timer delay and take your hand away after pressing the shutter release but before it fires. Check your photos frequently, zooming in on the back screen to check focus. Don't just "run and gun" your photos. Take the time to see how you are doing so you can make adjustments if needed. You are more like an artist, painting on an easel, and less like a cell phone snapshooter, just grabbing lots of shots and hoping some will be good. As you learn more about your photography, you will make more artistic decisions to get specific effects but in the beginning, you are probably going to be happy with sharp, well exposed images of pretty places. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you elect to use the "P" mode, there are a few tricks that will help. "P" (Program) Mode is sort of a better form of Auto. Because it has a tendency to set mid-range to wide apertures, I'd recommend using the "Scene Mode" dial to set the camera in "Landscape Mode" when shooting big scenery. That will force it to select smaller (higher number) f-stops to improve sharpness over longer distances. In Manual or Aperture Priority Mode, we set that ourselves but if you leave the decision to the camera you need to give it a hint as to what kind of pictures you are taking.

Last edited by abmj; 12-05-2014 at 04:32 PM.
12-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I live in Sacramento and grew up much closer to Yosemite in the past. As others have mentioned, and I'll add almost all roads over the Sierra Nevada Mountains can at a minimum require chains to get from one side to the other. Often, passes south of Lake Tahoe (i.e. Tioga Pass in Yosemite but also Sonora Pass a bit North and definitely Ebbetts Pass further North) close for the winter. I think I've seen that Tioga Pass is closed already, so there will be no access from the East.

If you were trying to get to Yosemite from Tahoe, your best bet is going to be to use US 50, I-80 (if you are North), or in some limited cases California 88 to get to the west side of the mountains. Generally, as long as it isn't actively snowing, the state tries its best to limit chain restrictions so that as many people can pass over the mountains as possible. You could then drive down California-99 to Merced. A GPS with your rental could be helpful, but have a map. Sometimes the GPS will try to utilize mountain roads that should not be used. Don't mess around with snow.

Conversely, if you are trying to get to Yosemite from Vegas, you could drive to Bakersfield, California and then up to Merced. From Merced or Fresno, you should have options including alternative transportation. You just need to research it a bit. There are possible things like the YARTS, but there are also tour services that might operate from some locations that could get you into the park. It is not too common for chains to be required into Yosemite Valley (via Merced and California Hwy-140) unless there is a particularly cold storm.

I'm not sure just how many things you have planned or where else you might head to, but that whole area of the country can be quite a wonderful place to visit with a lot of things. If you have flexibility, just keep that in mind in case something comes up that stops you along the way such as too much snow. The Central Coast of California can be just as fantastic to visit as Lake Tahoe and Yosemite. Zion National Park is a wonderful place. Death Valley is fantastic and should not be missed if there is any driving from Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe; you practically have to drive through it to get from one place to the other. Sadly, it's the one National Park in California I have not visited.

Mostly, have fun.

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 03:09 PM ----------

Oh, and back to your response to my comment about shooting f-8. Jim, a few posts back stated the same thing and recommended the modes where that would be most useful, P Mode and Av mode. Focus your reading on those two modes with the manual and perhaps understanding depth of field.

As for memory card. For 4 weeks, 2 x 64 GB may be enough, but it wouldn't be for me. It is definitely better to err on the side of caution. BUT, the wonderful thing about being in the areas you're at, is that if you go with those two cards and find yourself running out of space, there are places you can buy cards all over. Worst case, don't be afraid to ask people if you need supplies.

Microsoft ICE is something you'd use beyond LR. Lightroom is essentially for adjusting images but not for combining them or stitching them together. You'd export your files as JPGs (or use JPGs from the camera) into ICE and it would then create one image. It seems to be one of the few programs Microsoft has done well.
12-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
You are new, if not brand new to SLR photography, why not start out taking pics "the right way" and learn good habits from the beginning?
After all, there is only one right way to take photos! NOT!

Seriously though. There is no harm done in going out and using the camera and no expediency to always doing one thing over some alternative. A good example might be tripod use. I am a tripod junkie, but I have also shot successfully at 1/8s with an 85mm lens hand-held using SR and good technique. (Heie has a tutorial somewhere on this site detailing technique for hand-held photography.) I also often shoot in P mode. Why not? After all, I know what those numbers in the viewfinder mean and can easily override them if I want to. To be concise, I don't believe in the notion of photographic "bad habits" unless they lead to stagnation, ignorance, or abuse of gear.

For beginners who want to progress in their understanding of photography, I generally suggest:
  • Learn the fundamentals of exposure and light metering. You can do this on the fly, book-on-lap so to speak. When that is clear, usage of the camera's exposure mode options also becomes clear. I suggest Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure
  • Learn the fundamentals of camera lenses and what the camera actually is (a light-tight box) and does (holds a lens of some sort in front of capture media). I suggest checking out "Ansel Adams, The Camera" from the local public library. It was written some years ago for film photography, but is an excellent book about cameras, lenses, and how to use both.
  • Expose yourself to good work. Users photos on this site are a good place to start since the photographers are accessible and can share how the photos are made.
  • Shoot frequently and in all seasons with the intent of finding your "inner eye" and transforming the camera from a complicated toy into a transparent tool.
  • Find a local club. Photography is intrinsically a solitary activity, but there can be synergy in a group. I have always shot alone, but many of my friends really enjoy and have benefited from the feedback that a group offers.
  • Become proficient with software post processing. In the old days, what happened in the darkroom was the second half of what happened in the camera. Adams once stated, "The negative is the score, the print the performance". The digital capture is analogous to a film negative and post-processing parallels what happens in the darkroom. PP allows a capture to transcend the details of its "fact".
  • Be obsessive about finding reliable online and printed resources. I like the Cambridge In Color site, particularly their tutorials... Tutorials
  • Don't be obsessed with gear
  • Learn to be aware of light

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.
12-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
Words can't express how much I appreciate all the insanely fast response from you guys.

Thank you for all your help.

Sorry for not replying fast enough.

I am currently un-boxing the camera for the first time and encountering a lot of "difficulties".

Some of the details are here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/281425-mini-faq-t...ml#post3060314

I am going to go through the manual and google things I dont know.

Alright. Let the reading begin.

Thanks again everyone!

12-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

One of my friends was hiking around Lake Meade, took one wrong step and ended up stuck in a pool of quicksand and thick, gloopy mud. Of course, the initial step threw him off balance and he ended up breaking his fall with the hand holding the camera. So then the camera was completely covered in thick, gloopy mud. But, he had a K-5, so after a nice shower, the camera was fine. Still, don't do that :-P
12-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
in some mountainous areas of california during winter, the snow months, the law requires that tire chains be carried in cars that will be entering those regions. Very few rental car companies will provide them, some will prohibit their use on their cars. If you will be renting a car for this trip, i'd recommend checking with the rental company about their policy. You can purchase relatively inexpensive chains or cables at auto parts and tire stores and some service stations. If chain controls are in effect, you must have the chains in your car and available to install, even if you don't need them at the moment. You can check with the park service road condition hot line to determine the conditions at any time. I have a set in my car as a matter of course but haven't had to actually install them in years. I tend to turn around and go someplace else if i encounter a "chains required" sign. Just lazy, i guess. More information in the link below.

tire chains - yosemite national park (u.s. National park service)

i haven't been up to lake tahoe this year so don't have personal experience but it is significantly higher in elevation so may be colder with the chance of snow. The major highways to tahoe are all-weather so you shouldn't have any trouble getting there.

What "two parks?" i only addressed one, yosemite national park. If you only have one day there, the classic photos are from tunnel view, where highway 41 enters the valley via a tunnel, valley view, near where the three major highways come together in the valley and half dome from sentinel bridge, near yosemite village in the valley. There are large parking areas and photo spots at all three. Don't limit yourself to just the tourist viewpoints though. For a first visit, i'd suggest driving around the valley loop and just looking for good ideas. There are a lot of pull-outs and parking areas all along the loop road and several have access to short trails leading to great viewpoints. I like to follow one of them out into the inner loop meadow along the merced river and find my own viewpoint of the falls or cliffs. Another good photo can be had at the old chapel, off to the right along south drive, which is part of the loop road. This is especially photogenic when the trees around it are in fall color or when there is snow. At the park entrance station, the ranger will give you a map of the valley and other areas that will identify a lot of this. Trust me, once you get into yosemite valley, you will find photo viewpoints all around you.

Yosemite valley is a better "evening light" opportunity in general, because the valley runs east-west with the east end blocked by mountains, so if you can be there near sunset, you will get some nice images of the valley, el capitan and half dome, assuming they are not blocked by clouds. Early morning light is, of course, also very nice, particularly if you turn around and face away from half dome. Even if the weather is bad, look for small shots - ferns, river swirls, old buildings, etc. There is always something nice, even if the weather isn't perfect.

---------- post added 12-05-14 at 12:31 pm ----------

[/color]
no. There is a good excursion bus service in merced called yarts - yosemite area rapid transit service. If you aren't comfortable driving, you can park in their lot and ride the bus into the park. That will limit your photo options but the route does stop at many of the major viewpoints.

Evening light and morning light can both be good. Both taken from tunnel view, sunset and just after sunrise:
Your pictures are amazing!!!! I did not see it attached yesterday.

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
my advice, postpone the trip about 3 months....

Ok, so that's not an option? Let's see what i can come up with.... Well lot of the previous advice is decent, "what can you get away with" ideas, but...

I'm of a different train of thought. You are new, if not brand new to slr photography, why not start out taking pics "the right way" and learn good habits from the beginning? That starts with first taking a class, online most likely given the time frame, or doing several hours of reading about three concepts in photography that you must master:

Exposure control
ettr
composition

exposure control is understanding the triad of shutter speed/aperture/sensitivity (iso). Without at least a basic grasp of what they do, put it on the green button and snap away. If you gain a good understanding of exposure control, it's very easy to quickly graduate into aperture/shutter priority and even manual mode

which brings us to ettr (expose to the right) - this is all about learning to read your histogram and understanding how to make the most of the data your sensor is recording

composition is self explanatory, but if you can't have a decently high level conversation about the rule of thirds/convergent angles/leading lines, your pics will look like snap shots.

Now my last rant:

Buy a tripod and a remote trigger! Buy a good tripod, the best you can afford and buy it now so you get used to using it. And use mup (mirror lockup) mode. No self respecting landscape photographer would be caught dead without a tripod in all but the most extreme cases. Is it extra weight? Yes. Is it a pain in the butt sometimes? Yes. But it is the first "accessory" you should buy for landscape work.

With that said, 2 weeks is a steep steep learning curve. I gave myself 60 days to learn the k3 from a k5 and i have been shooting dslrs since 2005. Which is another reason i strongly recommend a tripod. You are going to be overwhelmed with everything you want to remember. A camera on a tripod slows you down 300%. You have to set up and compose, fiddle with the dials and then take a picture. It forces you to decide what's worth setting up a tripod for and what you can really skip. Because if it's not worth taking a pic on a tripod, it's probably not worth taking a picture of. It will give you a mental break and takes out a lot of user error. It gives you a lot of latitude for creativity.

I have seen way too many nicely composed but slightly blurry images on this site and every other photo sharing site out there. It's not incorrect focus, it's movement blur. Shake reduction is not your savior. You should not be taking shots at 1/4 iso 100 and f16 handheld. Just don't do it unless its sunrise on top of a mountain. And even then you should have a rock to put the camera on, or even make a snow block. Just say no to handholding!
Amen! You described my situation with crystal clarity!

Also, I have final exams coming up, friends' graduation and farewell parties to balance with.

BUT! I am still putting learning photography as a priority.

I took your advice and did some google and a lot results showed up.

Honestly, I don't have enough time to try all of them out, is there a good recommendation for free online classes that covers exposure control/ettr/composition in a beginner friendly yet informational manner?

Also, I think I understand the need for tripod. The reason why I replied late today is because I spent the whole day exploring the camera and shooting outside.

A lot of my shots are out of focus when shooting with low ISO and slow shuttle speed.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 08:40 PM ----------

in my opinion, yes. welcome to the yosemite area regional transportation system (yarts) - public transit to yosemite

by the way, as a beginner, you do not need to shoot in manual. That is the more "professional" but also more difficult mode, with more variables to remember. Your new camera is a technological marvel that will take very good photos in all modes. Until you learn a bit about exposure and shutter, i recommend staying in either "p" (program mode) or better yet, "av" (aperture mode.) if you are not sure about depth of field, set the aperture to f/8 for close to medium distances or f/11 or f/16 for "big" landscapes and try a shot. If the shutter speed is so slow that your shots aren't sharp, increase the iso a little. Better yet, put the camera on a tripod and forget about the shutter speed. If you don't have a cable release, set the camera on the self timer delay and take your hand away after pressing the shutter release but before it fires. Check your photos frequently, zooming in on the back screen to check focus. Don't just "run and gun" your photos. Take the time to see how you are doing so you can make adjustments if needed. You are more like an artist, painting on an easel, and less like a cell phone snapshooter, just grabbing lots of shots and hoping some will be good. As you learn more about your photography, you will make more artistic decisions to get specific effects but in the beginning, you are probably going to be happy with sharp, well exposed images of pretty places. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you elect to use the "p" mode, there are a few tricks that will help. "p" (program) mode is sort of a better form of auto. Because it has a tendency to set mid-range to wide apertures, i'd recommend using the "scene mode" dial to set the camera in "landscape mode" when shooting big scenery. That will force it to select smaller (higher number) f-stops to improve sharpness over longer distances. In manual or aperture priority mode, we set that ourselves but if you leave the decision to the camera you need to give it a hint as to what kind of pictures you are taking.
LOLed at "Run and Gun"

I like the analogy and explanations. Thank you!

Actually, after exploring for a day, I am starting to get the hang of it.

I understood what they meant by noise at High Iso. And the reason why my shots are unfocused is because I moved at low shuttle speed, where a tripod will be helpful.

I have yet to explore DOF, P and Scene Mode. Don't think I will jump into AV. I feel like I have a lot on my plate right now.

Will post some photos of my what I got today to be critic.

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
i live in sacramento and grew up much closer to yosemite in the past. As others have mentioned, and i'll add almost all roads over the sierra nevada mountains can at a minimum require chains to get from one side to the other. Often, passes south of lake tahoe (i.e. Tioga pass in yosemite but also sonora pass a bit north and definitely ebbetts pass further north) close for the winter. I think i've seen that tioga pass is closed already, so there will be no access from the east.

If you were trying to get to yosemite from tahoe, your best bet is going to be to use us 50, i-80 (if you are north), or in some limited cases california 88 to get to the west side of the mountains. Generally, as long as it isn't actively snowing, the state tries its best to limit chain restrictions so that as many people can pass over the mountains as possible. You could then drive down california-99 to merced. A gps with your rental could be helpful, but have a map. Sometimes the gps will try to utilize mountain roads that should not be used. Don't mess around with snow.

Conversely, if you are trying to get to yosemite from vegas, you could drive to bakersfield, california and then up to merced. From merced or fresno, you should have options including alternative transportation. You just need to research it a bit. There are possible things like the yarts, but there are also tour services that might operate from some locations that could get you into the park. It is not too common for chains to be required into yosemite valley (via merced and california hwy-140) unless there is a particularly cold storm.

I'm not sure just how many things you have planned or where else you might head to, but that whole area of the country can be quite a wonderful place to visit with a lot of things. If you have flexibility, just keep that in mind in case something comes up that stops you along the way such as too much snow. The central coast of california can be just as fantastic to visit as lake tahoe and yosemite. Zion national park is a wonderful place. Death valley is fantastic and should not be missed if there is any driving from las vegas to lake tahoe; you practically have to drive through it to get from one place to the other. Sadly, it's the one national park in california i have not visited.

Mostly, have fun.

---------- post added 12-05-2014 at 03:09 pm ----------

oh, and back to your response to my comment about shooting f-8. Jim, a few posts back stated the same thing and recommended the modes where that would be most useful, p mode and av mode. Focus your reading on those two modes with the manual and perhaps understanding depth of field.

As for memory card. For 4 weeks, 2 x 64 gb may be enough, but it wouldn't be for me. It is definitely better to err on the side of caution. But, the wonderful thing about being in the areas you're at, is that if you go with those two cards and find yourself running out of space, there are places you can buy cards all over. Worst case, don't be afraid to ask people if you need supplies.

Microsoft ice is something you'd use beyond lr. Lightroom is essentially for adjusting images but not for combining them or stitching them together. You'd export your files as jpgs (or use jpgs from the camera) into ice and it would then create one image. It seems to be one of the few programs microsoft has done well.
Thanks for the info! I think I will learn all about post production after this trip :P

Will follow up on Jim.

Could there be problem for this itinerary?

1. Fresno > Yosemite
2. Yosemite > Merced
3. Merced > South Lake Tahoe

Also, after Yosemite, we will go Merced for a day and then stay at South Lake Tahoe.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
after all, there is only one right way to take photos! Not! :d

seriously though. There is no harm done in going out and using the camera and no expediency to always doing one thing over some alternative. A good example might be tripod use. I am a tripod junkie, but i have also shot successfully at 1/8s with an 85mm lens hand-held using sr and good technique. (heie has a tutorial somewhere on this site detailing technique for hand-held photography.) i also often shoot in p mode. Why not? After all, i know what those numbers in the viewfinder mean and can easily override them if i want to. To be concise, i don't believe in the notion of photographic "bad habits" unless they lead to stagnation, ignorance, or abuse of gear.

For beginners who want to progress in their understanding of photography, i generally suggest:
  • learn the fundamentals of exposure and light metering. You can do this on the fly, book-on-lap so to speak. When that is clear, usage of the camera's exposure mode options also becomes clear. I suggest bryan peterson's understanding exposure
  • learn the fundamentals of camera lenses and what the camera actually is (a light-tight box) and does (holds a lens of some sort in front of capture media). I suggest checking out "ansel adams, the camera" from the local public library. It was written some years ago for film photography, but is an excellent book about cameras, lenses, and how to use both.
  • expose yourself to good work. Users photos on this site are a good place to start since the photographers are accessible and can share how the photos are made.
  • shoot frequently and in all seasons with the intent of finding your "inner eye" and transforming the camera from a complicated toy into a transparent tool.
  • find a local club. Photography is intrinsically a solitary activity, but there can be synergy in a group. I have always shot alone, but many of my friends really enjoy and have benefited from the feedback that a group offers.
  • become proficient with software post processing. In the old days, what happened in the darkroom was the second half of what happened in the camera. Adams once stated, "the negative is the score, the print the performance". The digital capture is analogous to a film negative and post-processing parallels what happens in the darkroom. Pp allows a capture to transcend the details of its "fact".
  • be obsessive about finding reliable online and printed resources. I like the cambridge in color site, particularly their tutorials... tutorials
  • don't be obsessed with gear
  • learn to be aware of light

steve
You know what Steve? I have Bryan's book :P

Will read more on lenses and good work.

I started shooting already

Joined a club too. But its the end of the semester..... Everyone's busy with final exams.

Post processing will be 2nd priority for now lol

Light..... I understand the importance of it, like strobing. But... as of how to implement it.... I am still clueless..... Any tips on this?

QuoteOriginally posted by outis Quote
one of my friends was hiking around lake meade, took one wrong step and ended up stuck in a pool of quicksand and thick, gloopy mud. Of course, the initial step threw him off balance and he ended up breaking his fall with the hand holding the camera. So then the camera was completely covered in thick, gloopy mud. But, he had a k-5, so after a nice shower, the camera was fine. Still, don't do that :-p
LOL

I will watch my steps.

Thank you for sharing that.

I am still curious about this, can you really wash and wipe your lens? Wouldn't you accidentally scratch it or degrade it?
12-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Also, I read-ed more about Auto and Program mode since a couple of you suggested shooting in Program Mode.

My findings is that Program will be better and more flexibility.

Master the Hidden Power of Your Camera's Program Mode | TechHive

However, if I am not sure what is the best adjustments(ISO,shutter speed etc) and let the camera do all the work, which mode will be better for me in this trip?

Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-07-14 at 12:09 AM ----------

Just posted a photo of my practice at Night Lights as promised!

Please check it out here. Thanks!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/281548-night-my-first-p...ml#post3061965

12-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello! To everyone who helped me here, I didn't hear back much. I guess you guys are busy.

Nonetheless, just wanted to update y'all I took second sets of photos Please provide suggestions and area of improvements for v3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/281742-night-trying-lea...ml#post3063910
12-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! I think I will learn all about post production after this trip :P

Will follow up on Jim.

Could there be problem for this itinerary?

1. Fresno > Yosemite
2. Yosemite > Merced
3. Merced > South Lake Tahoe

Also, after Yosemite, we will go Merced for a day and then stay at South Lake Tahoe.
That looks decent. Now I grew up pretty close to Merced (north of it in Manteca). In all honesty, don't expect a whole lot out of any of those Central Valley towns and cities. Fresno and Merced (and even Sacramento where I live now) are not that great in terms of things to see and do. Fresno and Sacramento are fairly large cities but they lack in terms of excitement, which is why they aren't that well known outside of California.

In other words, if you are really staying in Merced for a day, you might be better off just spending another day up at Yosemite than expecting to find a days worth of things to do in Merced or even making a day to visit Sequoia National Park if it is accessible. Personally, I'd choose an extra day in Yosemite as you can see Sequoia trees there, but there is definitely a lot more than Yosemite and Tahoe to the Sierras. I am biased against the Central Valley not because it is such a bad place, it just isn't very touristy. There's a reason that most travel to California focuses on the coast or the Sierras.

---------- Post added 12-10-2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

Also, I read-ed more about Auto and Program mode since a couple of you suggested shooting in Program Mode.

My findings is that Program will be better and more flexibility.

Master the Hidden Power of Your Camera's Program Mode | TechHive

However, if I am not sure what is the best adjustments(ISO,shutter speed etc) and let the camera do all the work, which mode will be better for me in this trip?

Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-07-14 at 12:09 AM ----------

Just posted a photo of my practice at Night Lights as promised!

Please check it out here. Thanks!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/281548-night-my-first-p...ml#post3061965
I didn't look closer at the other thread, but given that you are starting out, I'd stick with Program Mode. I think others have mentioned, but if you are in P mode and you adjust either Shutter Speed or Aperture, you are essentially invoking Aperture Priority without explicitly doing so... i.e. if you are in P mode and you find you want a different aperture, just change it and the shutter speed (and ISO if applicable) will adjust as needed. That's probably what I'd do.

On a glance in your other thread, I think you have an idea of what ISO is or isn't going to do for you. In P-mode, I tend to like to fix the ISO and just adjust it as the Shutter Speed dictates. But, based on the other thread, you have an idea of what ISO range you like, so you could set that as your Auto-ISO limits and just use it.

The only other important thing is to understand how Exposure Compensation Works and using the histogram to identify changes in exposure you might need. The cameras meter is going to be wrong when you are shooting at night or in the snow (as you might be when you get to Tahoe) and you can compensate by using Exposure Compensation and understanding when you need it and how to dial it in.
12-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

In case this trip is happening anytime soon, be aware that a major storm is due to smack California by the end of this week. The mountain areas around Yosemite are being forecast for "blizzard conditions," a category we haven't seen in years. I would be very cautious over the next week or so.
12-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
In case this trip is happening anytime soon, be aware that a major storm is due to smack California by the end of this week. The mountain areas around Yosemite are being forecast for "blizzard conditions," a category we haven't seen in years. I would be very cautious over the next week or so.
Thanks for the warning. Will it be better by end of the year?

What are some reliable sources that I can keep track of the latest happenings?
12-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Thanks for the warning. Will it be better by end of the year?

What are some reliable sources that I can keep track of the latest happenings?
Who knows what the weather will do in 3 weeks. Those of us who have lived through the worst drought in recorded history over the last 3 years are hoping for 40 days and 40 nights of rain.

I usually keep track by following weather.com and searching for 10 or 15 day forecasts.
12-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went to Las Vegas in October and took my Ricoh WG-20, Pentax K-x, kit lens, DA 35 & 50 in a small sling bag (Tamrac Velocity 7x) packed with just enough stuff (I took an external flash and wish I'd left it home). We were on the strip the whole time, taking the bus if we wanted to head to the older parts of town. When it was all said and done the only lenses I used were the kit and the DA L 35mm f/2.4. We were on the go all day and night and when I got home I actually wished I had taken (if I had one) a Ricoh GR only just because I could've traveled even lighter.

I guess my only advice is travel as light as you're comfortable getting away with. Pictures during the day were nice, but at night is when the great shots come out. The lights change everything. Have fun.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 12-10-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added text
12-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Went to Las Vegas in October and took my Ricoh WG-20, Pentax K-x, kit lens, DA 35 & 50 in a small sling bag (Tamrac Velocity 7x) packed with just enough stuff (I took an external flash and wish I'd left it home). We were on the strip the whole time, taking the bus if we wanted to head to the older parts of town. When it was all said and done the only lenses I used were the kit and the DA L 35mm f/2.4. We were on the go all day and night and when I got home I actually wished I had taken (if I had one) a Ricoh GR only just because I could've traveled even lighter.

I guess my only advice is travel as light as you're comfortable getting away with. Pictures during the day were nice, but at night is when the great shots come out. The lights change everything. Have fun.
Yeah.

I am just worried I can't get good pictures at night.

What mode did you use?

It will be better to just pack my 18-55 kit lens right?
12-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah.

I am just worried I can't get good pictures at night.

What mode did you use?

It will be better to just pack my 18-55 kit lens right?
The past several months I've been shooting Program Mode and that's what I did in LV, day and night. There were a few exceptions where I used Aperture Priority, but most shots were "P" and I would move the numbers to fit the shot I wanted. It was a lot of "shot and move" with the crowds and trying to not make my wife wait for me all day long. Don't forget to call up some Exposure Compensation now and then with all the crazy lights going on in the background.

I really try not to use my 18-55 kit lens (like using primes) but lately it's been saving the day, and that was true in LV. It's the widest lens I have and I needed that on the Strip. It could be some of my style preferences and some of it was just shooting in tight quarters. I think you'll get good shots at night without doing anything out of the ordinary. Remember to take advantage of handrails, post, walls whatever to steady the camera. The only flash I used was the built-in flash, and it was used sparingly to fill in.

(Hint: if you happen to ride the bus that runs the strip - saves you lots of time and walking - try and get the upper deck front seats as they're great for getting some interesting pics. The best way to get the seat of choice on the bus is board it at either end where there are less people getting on, like just before NY/NY. The picture in my linked thread of the reflection in the building glass was taken through the bus window sitting on the "sidewalk side" of the bus.)

Here's the thread from my Vegas trip: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/269144-first-trip-las-vegas.html

Maybe it's my "hobbyist" approach, but in some situations I just shoot a few extras to make sure camera shake is gone and do some different exposure settings of the same shot. You can sort it all out when you get back to the hotel/home. My approach in LV was just get the shots now because I won't have a 2nd chance any time soon. I have a friend who works in one of the casinos and he took us around and I got pics from vantage points that 99.9% of people will not get (have not posted those). That opportunity was unique and I did what I had to to get the shots quickly and confidently (they came out just fine)

I'm an early riser who's blessed with a wife that's very slow to get ready in the morning, so while she was going through her routine I would already be up and dressed to head out and shoot some artsy stuff (close to the hotel) where I could take my time. It was nice being alone with the camera in the morning light and very few people moving around. The attached picture is a sample from my early morning shoot. If you have a smart phone a sunrise/sunset app is very handy to know when to be out to catch the golden hour.

Every photo outing has some reject pictures so I trashed a lot of pics in the process, but I think I did pretty well in the end.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrangeKx; 12-11-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added text.