Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Tentative list now that I've had a few weeks to dwell on it in order of priorities:
  • K-3, hopefully with the 18-135 or 50mm kit (prefer the 18-135)
  • Tripod with pano head OR Tripod and Gigapan Epic head (the small one).
  • Qsomething, for use with the abovementioned pano head. Having the idea of slapping a telephoto on a Q and doing some stupidly high res stitches.
  • If any cash left over, a Samyang 85mm f/1.4
  • If still have cash left over another lens, but what would be determined by what cash is still left.

Since everything past the K-3 is a question mark depending on what I decide on, theres a lot of wiggle room for budgeting. I'm seriously debating getting a bumblebee colored Q with a bumblebee colored Mefoto tripod because seriously...

Of course theres now renewed rumors about a new body of some sort coming out in February so I may just sit on the cash until March and see what happens in the Land of Pentax. I don't think I could live with myself if I dropped that kind of cash in one shot only to have Ricoh go "LOL HERES YER FF CAMERA YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOW LAWLS"

12-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about throwing a FA Limited into the mix?
12-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Tentative list now that I've had a few weeks to dwell on it in order of priorities:
  • K-3, hopefully with the 18-135 or 50mm kit (prefer the 18-135)
  • Tripod with pano head OR Tripod and Gigapan Epic head (the small one).
  • Qsomething, for use with the abovementioned pano head. Having the idea of slapping a telephoto on a Q and doing some stupidly high res stitches.
  • If any cash left over, a Samyang 85mm f/1.4
  • If still have cash left over another lens, but what would be determined by what cash is still left.

Since everything past the K-3 is a question mark depending on what I decide on, theres a lot of wiggle room for budgeting. I'm seriously debating getting a bumblebee colored Q with a bumblebee colored Mefoto tripod because seriously...

Of course theres now renewed rumors about a new body of some sort coming out in February so I may just sit on the cash until March and see what happens in the Land of Pentax. I don't think I could live with myself if I dropped that kind of cash in one shot only to have Ricoh go "LOL HERES YER FF CAMERA YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOW LAWLS"
The Samyang 85/1.4 produces my best portrait images - period. It takes more time and prep because its MF but the results are incredible. The Samyang lenses have so little coma or astigmatism that the results are just that much truer to life.
12-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K-3 and recommend it, especially at current prices. Although I like the versatility of the 18-135 zoom range (and when I travel I pack it and the 55-300 for a lightweight, WR and versatile system), when I'm not constrained by weight limitations, I tend to carry Sigma 17-70 plus WR 55-300 around instead. I like the extra mm in the wide angle range and the slightly faster lens.

Given that you're interested in portraiture, you might consider getting the K-3 plus 50mm combo, rather than K-3 plus 18-135 combo.

I would add to your gear list (and rank it pretty close to the top) the WR 55-300. It produces surprisingly nice images, it's small, lightweight and WR. I shoot portraits with it (when the light is good), it's great for critters (mostly what I photograph) and you can even do something interesting stuff with fauna if you're far enough away from it.

Lately, I have really enjoyed photographing with a couple of new macros I added to my kit during the fall sales: the Pentax 35mm Limited Macro f/2.8 and the Pentax FA 50mm f/2.8 macro. I photograph dogs and cats for a rescue group and with these lenses I can shoot some nice environmental portraits as well as doing some very close-up images (because of the macro capabilities).

Attached Images

01-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
How about throwing a FA Limited into the mix?
Totally agree; with that money to spend, I would definitely get the FA31 Ltd (b&h $1100) if I did not already have one. Add a K5/IIs (b&h $500).
  • FA31Ltd, suitable for half/full body portraits, landscapes and a very universal walk-around lens.
  • If you want to concentrate more on the upper body / face portrait side of things, change to FA77 Ltd (b&h $950) or a DA*55 (b&h $650).
  • I'm not an uwa person for landscapes (you might also not be), but you can consider a UWA zoom like the DA12-24 (b&h $900) or the DA15Ltd (b&h $550).

Any of the above will be below your lower limit

Add one or more Yongnuo's and radio triggers for a flash setup and / or spend the leftovers on a panorama setup (no idea of the costs of the latter).

Good luck in the decisions.

PS prices only as indication (actually for myself to see how they have evolved)
01-07-2015, 04:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Totally agree; with that money to spend, I would definitely get the FA31 Ltd (b&h $1100) if I did not already have one. Add a K5/IIs (b&h $500).
  • FA31Ltd, suitable for half/full body portraits, landscapes and a very universal walk-around lens.
  • If you want to concentrate more on the upper body / face portrait side of things, change to FA77 Ltd (b&h $950) or a DA*55 (b&h $650).
  • I'm not an uwa person for landscapes (you might also not be), but you can consider a UWA zoom like the DA12-24 (b&h $900) or the DA15Ltd (b&h $550).

Any of the above will be below your lower limit

Add one or more Yongnuo's and radio triggers for a flash setup and / or spend the leftovers on a panorama setup (no idea of the costs of the latter).

Good luck in the decisions.

PS prices only as indication (actually for myself to see how they have evolved)
I'm set for an UWA - I own a Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 I dropped $600 on it a few years back when it was on sale and haven't regretted the decision at all.

The limiteds are tempting, but I'm looking more towards a backup to whatever the main camera might be (that newly announced K-50 replacement may throw a wrench in the works depending on what the specs pan out as).
01-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going out of the box, you could get a really nice German Equatorial Go-To mount for 2K. Just a thought...

01-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, taxes are filed, just awaiting the return in a few weeks, and this is my tentative list (with B&H prices, I'll be shopping around to see if I can save here):

MeFOTO RoadTrip Tripod - $156
Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - $250
Pentax Q to K Adaptor - $209
Pentax Q7 w/5-15mm lens - $269
Pentax K-3 (body only) - $800
K-3 Grip - $119

Total: $1800

That leaves $200-$500 or so for warranties/eBay/PF Marketplace/one last blaze of LBA/etc

I still want to get a gigapan, but that may wind up being a 'sit and wait' thing in case I get the Q and hate it.

Any opinions on the list? Could I do something better for that kind of money?
01-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Final damage to the ol' checking account:

1 K-3
1 Samyang 85 f/1.4
1 Bower 35 f/1.4
1 MeFoto Tripod
1 Bolt Flash

After warranties and such it came out to just under $1900 after shipping. the only thing I didn't do was buy a backup body, but that can wait for next year (and the possibly FF or that new mid-level camera on the horizon).

The flash is the only really quirky thing for me - I'm used to just rocking natural light so this will be a bit of new territory for me.
01-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nice choice, congrats and enjoy.