Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help Me Spend my Tax Refund (need a camera and maybe a backup or a lens)

I'm looking at a budget of about 2 grand, and I want to pick up a K-3 (or a K-5/K-II if I get really lucky) Caveat - no used! I put enough wear and tear on my gear as it is without any help ahead of time.

So.

If you had $2,000 to spend (plus or minus a couple hundred bucks), what would you pick up?

Some background as to what I tend to shoot, and what I have:

Modern lenses: the 18-55 kit lens and a Sigma 10-20.
Not so modern: a battered Sigma 70-300 and a possibly borked FA 28-90.
Old School: Plenty of manual stuff. 28, 50, 135, 200, and 300mm primes. Coverage for everything in between with zooms, though of course 'old manual' means I could probably upgrade on any of the stuff except possibly the 50's.

What I (mostly) shoot: Landscapes, Night scenes, Night Landscapes, lots of flora/fauna kind of shots (my flickr is here for anyone nosy to see what I tend to shoot - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jroberts72/)

What I'd *like* to shoot: interested in possibly getting more into portraiture and getting beyond the default in-camera flash. I'm growing increasingly 'artsy' for lack of a better term in how I shoot, which means lots of wide apertures (ie, fast glass)

Some of the lenses/gear I've been nosy about: The Samyang 35 and 85, the Sigma 150-500, a gigipan mount, any kind of flash that would be a step up from whats built into the camera

SO.

Budget of 1750-2250(ish), with a K-3 or a K-5/5II/5IIs coming from said budget, wide open choices as to fast normal to super-telephoto lenses and possible peripherals to add to the kit. A backup camera (anywhere from a Q to a K-5 depending on cost) would also be a huge plus, though it would of course deduct from the rest of the budget.

GO.

Final note: Every dollar above 2 grand makes the wife increasingly annoyed. Please don't annoy the wife without good cause!

Last edited by Sagitta; 12-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.
12-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go with the K-5iis because of the price and you mentioned night shots as a significant area and its got a better overall rating (by a little) for low light performance. That would mean around $500 for the camera and 1250-1500 for other gear.

If you're doing landscapes why not focus, no pun intended, on MF lenses and save yourself a LOT of money?

The Samyang (Vivitar for me) 85 is a killer lens and you can find them for $259 at B&H with free shipping - B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

I'd also think about the DA15 Ltd - it's a really great lens!

When I shifted to a non-in-camera flash I started with a solid non-Pentax flash to learn and then got a used Pentax 540. Because I sometimes need a fill flash the first purchase was not wasted and I got to decide if that was the direction I wanted to go before spending a lot. Also, with all the 540's sold as $50 extras I expect a few to be on sale here soon at reasonable prices.

Backup cameras - K-x for $150ish and K-5 for $300ish. I like my K-01 as a backup but I got it for a song ($160 for the body) 2 years ago whenthey were dumping them. I think of my Qs as compenmentary but not as backups for the K mount bodies.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.
12-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'd go with the K-5iis because of the price and you mentioned night shots as a significant area and its got a better overall rating (by a little) for low light performance. That would mean around $500 for the camera and 1250-1500 for other gear.

If you're doing landscapes why not focus, no pun intended, on MF lenses and save yourself a LOT of money?

The Samyang (Vivitar for me) 85 is a killer lens and you can find them for $259 at B&H with free shipping - B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

I'd also think about the DA15 Ltd - it's a really great lens!

When I shifted to a non-in-camera flash I started with a solid non-Pentax flash to learn and then got a used Pentax 540. Because I sometimes need a fill flash the first purchase was not wasted and I got to decide if that was the direction I wanted to go before spending a lot. Also, with all the 540's sold as $50 extras I expect a few to be on sale here soon at reasonable prices.

Backup cameras - K-x for $150ish and K-5 for $300ish. I like my K-01 as a backup but I got it for a song ($160 for the body) 2 years ago whenthey were dumping them. I think of my Qs as compenmentary but not as backups for the K mount bodies.

I have absolutely no issue with manual lenses. The only really decent autofocus lens I have is the 10-20, and that really doesn't need it because of what it is.
12-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I have absolutely no issue with manual lenses. The only really decent autofocus lens I have is the 10-20, and that really doesn't need it because of what it is.
Well that means that you've got a lot more spending power for great glass.

12-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

For myself, I would spend some of that money on a vacation so I could take some pictures of something other than old snow and mud. Late winter vacations keep my wife happy! I picked up the Sigma 17-70C last year and have been really impressed so far. It does great landscapes and excellent close up/macro shots. I can't dismiss the suggestion about the DA15 either. I own one and it was my tax refund purchase a few years ago. I just bought the Sigma 150-500 because my old Sigma 70-300 is pretty beat up, too.
12-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area. General Talk is for non-photography topics only.
12-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think you're really limiting your spending power by not considering used gear. Just because you're rough on your equipment doesn't mean the previous owner was, ya know? That said, I think that if I were you, I'd be looking at a new K5IIs, an 80-200 f2.8 of some sort or the 60-250, and maybe another prime or a tripod upgrade (if needed).

12-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely buy used lenses, I have confidence in the Marketplace here since you know they're likely to have been taken care of.

The K5II series is great, but with the prices of the K3 coming down, that's a huge temptation. Maybe a combo with the 18-135, since that makes a big discount on the lens and if you don't like it, just sell it for $350. Weather Resistance is always a concern.

I picked up a used DA21 LTD a while ago, and find it a fine landscape lens and fun walkaround since it's so small. I think it might be more useful for people pictures, not being so wide as the 15mm, but maybe that's just me. I do find myself increasingly intrigued by the Pentax pancake kit.
12-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I am going to suggest something a bit different. Get a KS-1, a Samyang/Rokinor/Bower etc 14mm, and 8mm lenses. Yes they are bigger than the Limiteds, butthey are getting good reviews. From what I have seen on the KS-1 forum the photos are looking very good. A KS-1, Bower 8mm and Bower 14mm will set you back $1,100 plus tax at B&H right now. For $200 more you can get a K3 instead of the KS-1. Then throw $500 to the wife and you still have $200 - $400 (depending upon which camera you get.) to keep in your secret stash of mad money. Wife has big smile and doesn't know about the secret stash. Win win all around.
12-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the K-5 officially discontinued, I may have issues come late January/early February picking one up (if I can though... man...).

I'm debating a K-3/K-50 combo now. K-3 for getting artsy, K-50 (KS-1 if I find a bargain) for kicking around with. I'm also debating going K-3 / Q, because being 'stuck' using a point and shoot again has reminded me how fun just getting snapshots can be if I don't have to consider depth of field, figuring my own exposures, etc.

Still very much on the fence though on it all - it'll be interesting to see if they come out with another camera between now and two months from now.
12-11-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 and a wide'ish carl ziess

love spending other peoples money
12-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Still very much on the fence though on it all - it'll be interesting to see if they come out with another camera between now and two months from now.
I don't doubt that there's a new camera coming, so I can understand your hesitation. You might consider spending $500 or so on a lens or two right now...and waiting to spend the other $1500 until you see what new camera comes out. I think that, at the worst, you'll have to buy a K3 and have some bucks left over to play with.
12-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I have to suffer through buying a K-3, so be it. I'm sure I'll be able to recover from the experience.
12-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If I have to suffer through buying a K-3, so be it. I'm sure I'll be able to recover from the experience.
You have my sympathy.
12-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes such a harrowing time, my thoughts will be with you