Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Completely dissapointed in Adorama's service

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/281550-completely...ml#post3062112

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 12-07-2014 at 01:21 AM.
12-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
mmm, I had to return a couple of things and they always covered the shipping. Maybe it is because in my case they were defective items? (memory cards)
12-06-2014, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you describe is the standard for Internet and mail order if you decide to return the item. You get to pay the shipping both ways since it is hardly fair to expect the dealer to lose money because of a change of mind, though it sucks if you find you have purchased poorly or need to return for other reasons. At least they did not charge a restocking fee.

Steve
12-06-2014, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So you changed your mind on your purchase because of circumstances beyond the control and ambit of the retailer and you want them to reimburse you ???
Was the item defective..No !
You seem to want them to bail you out because of your personal inability to plan for unforseen events...
WTF..??!!

12-06-2014, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I had bought a k-5 IIs that I had to promptly return due to unforeseen expenses with my car. Not only did I have to pay the return shipping (which they required to be insured) they deducted the shipping price of the FREE shipping so instead of getting my full 500 dollars back I get 476 dollars back.

I would never, ever do business with this company again.
If the item isn't defective and you're returning it just because you've changed your mind, it's fairly standard practice to require the customer to cover the shipping. Amazon does the same.

As for the original free shipping reimbursement...that could have been omitted IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What you describe is the standard for Internet and mail order if you decide to return the item. You get to pay the shipping both ways since it is hardly fair to expect the dealer to lose money because of a change of mind, though it sucks if you find you have purchased poorly or need to return for other reasons. At least they did not charge a restocking fee.

Steve
I've ordered plenty of things online, from even less credible than them. This is the first time I've ever ran into return policies like this.
12-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would never, ever do business with this company again.
Sorry, but this is a disgusting attitude. Be responsible for your own choices and don't expect others to bail you out. Sad.

12-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Sorry, but this is a disgusting attitude. Be responsible for your own choices and don't expect others to bail you out. Sad.
Sorry but making me pay a hefty fee on the free shipping they offered isn't exactly cool. I have never ran into such a thing in my life. If it was just the return shipping I wouldn't have made this thread.

Maybe other companies have spoiled me, but these are my standards.
12-06-2014, 11:00 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

The policy is stated on our website, and the reasons are these.....
If you ordered an item that came with a free gift and you returned the ordered item, would you expect to keep the 'free' gift? That is what the 'free' shipping is. It's effectively a free gift offered to encourage your purchase.
In addition, it is to deter people from using us as a free rentals service.
If we covered the shipping costs for 'change of mind' purchases, we'd have to cover the cost somehow. Only three options, really: cut staff hours, cut staff wages - or raise prices for everybody!
12-06-2014, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry but making me pay a hefty fee on the free shipping they offered isn't exactly cool..
Offering free freight to customers doesn't mean Adorama received free freight from the shipping company!!
It's an incentive to attract customers. You reneged on the deal therefore you pay the price. Fairly narrow minded of you to expect otherwise I have to say. Shame you thought it was cool to post this thread.
12-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
The policy is stated on our website, and the reasons are these.....
If you ordered an item that came with a free gift and you returned the ordered item, would you expect to keep the 'free' gift? That is what the 'free' shipping is. It's effectively a free gift offered to encourage your purchase.
In addition, it is to deter people from using us as a free rentals service.
If we covered the shipping costs for 'change of mind' purchases, we'd have to cover the cost somehow. Only three options, really: cut staff hours, cut staff wages - or raise prices for everybody!
How many "change their mind" returns do you honestly get? I had the same situation from new egg one time a few years back, they kept the original free shipping as a courtesy to the customer.

But hey, just one person's opinion.

---------- Post added 12-07-14 at 01:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Offering free freight to customers doesn't mean Adorama received free freight from the shipping company!!
It's an incentive to attract customers. You reneged on the deal therefore you pay the price. Fairly narrow minded of you to expect otherwise I have to say. Shame you thought it was cool to post this thread.
Again, it's just not something I've ever experienced in the past from a company of this caliber. I have always expected it as a customer courtesy to keep the original shipping cost.

I'm sure they won't be heart broken that I won't be shopping from there in the future, just placing MY opinion on the matter.
12-06-2014, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I had bought a k-5 IIs that I had to promptly return due to unforeseen expenses with my car. Not only did I have to pay the return shipping (which they required to be insured) they deducted the shipping price of the FREE shipping so instead of getting my full 500 dollars back I get 476 dollars back.
You are completely in error, sorry.
12-06-2014, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I have always expected it as a customer courtesy to keep the original shipping cost.
It's somewhat delusional to expect the company to be out of pocket simply because you realized you couldn't afford to keep your purchase because you needed the money for your car..
I'm sure they won't be heart broken that I won't be shopping from there in the future.
Probably quite relieved, actually.

Anyhoo, moving along now.
12-06-2014, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry. I have to agree that the attitude of the OP is beyond the pale.

There are many companies which actually charge restocking fees of 10-20% of the purchase price to accept a returned "changed my mind" item. So, the OP is actually lucky the return was accepted at full price value, minus shipping.

I don't think that criticism of the company is warranted. The complainer is simply making it harder for anyone to do mail order business by hassling those who sell us things. If they feel they have to accommodate complainers like this, and build the cost of anticipated returns for zero reason (not defective, not a seller mistake, not a mis-fit or poorly described item), then it is going to cost actual buyers for the greedy behavior of those who want others to shoulder the costs they incur. And how fair is it that actual buyers have to pay for shipping for someone who simply changes their mind?
12-06-2014, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The land of the free is the only place I know which has this incredible return because of change of mind facility.
Here in the real world a purchase is a contract: you pay money, you receive goods - if the goods are faulty you get to return it/replace it/have it made good. If the goods are not faulty and you change your mind, suck it up. If I was you I would be grateful to get the $476.
Closed Thread