Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do You Ever Shoot With Two Bodies?

I am thinking of adding a second body to my Pentax kit.

Just wondering how feasible it might be to have two on hand in real world use. So here are some questions:

1. What circumstances might you use two bodies?
2. What two bodies? (And why those two, if there are specific reasons!)
3. How do you use them, meaning what lenses do you usually use? Why those two? Do you usually have even more lenses on hand?
4. Do you use a pre-loaded custom Mode setting for each one in this circumstance?
5. How do you carry them? Is it a big hassle? Do the cameras ever bang against each other, etc.?
6. Do you carry two tripods, too?
7. Can the flash on the second camera act as a slave?

Maybe some more questions will come to mind. But any answers will do, if your work ever gets this complex and have good advice! As for me, I think it might help with action shooting to have two cameras on hand.

Thank you,

Dave

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-07-2014 at 11:34 AM.
12-07-2014, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Its my goal to have two equal bodies (K3).

I absolutely love shooting with prime lenses, but not even limiting it to that...you can have two different zooms. In either case you're ability to be flexible opens up a lot when you have two bodies. For example I go to a Renaissance festival every year and I spot one scene that would be perfect for the 43mm and the other would be great for the 31mm...or 77mm or whatever...

You can grab and shoot without all the fiddling around. Not every chance to shoot can be waited on. In my opinion. It allows me as a photographer to be more fluid in what I do and to observe more stuff that needs shooting.

It also can help prevent accidents. Swapping lenses when you are out in public or in a dusty area or anything like that... It allows you to shoot with minimal fiddlyness.

It makes more efficient use of time and creativity if you ask me.

---------- Post added 12-07-14 at 12:54 PM ----------

Even in a studio or walking down the street or going to an event.... When your model is ready they are ready...if you try to say "stop hang on let me swap lenses"... Ummm no....it can kill the vibe.
12-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Two bodies for sports

I'll sometimes use my two bodies, my K-5 and K-3, for sports photography. There are many instances when the targets are both close and far in a very short period of time. For example, in football when the play starts relatively far away and ends up pretty close. My preferred lenses for this are the Sigma 70-200 for the distance and the Tamron 28-75 for nearby. I just added the Sigma 17-50 so that may become my close distance lens. It is a bit of a hassle to use two bodies, but there's no way lens-switching would be fast enough in most cases. I do have a two-body strap where I have one camera on each side of my body, although sometimes I use a monopod instead for the long lens camera in which case the other body is on a regular strap.
12-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll sometimes have my LX and K-m with me, but I've never felt the need to have several digital bodies with me.

12-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote

Just wondering how feasible it might be to have two on hand in real world use. So here are some questions:

1. What circumstances might you use two bodies? - I have tried it a couple of times. Once at the airport, trying to shoot two different things at the same time. Another time at the Grand Canyon, but my main camera, the K5 had battery issues, so the backup came in handy.
2. What two bodies? (And why those two, if there are specific reasons!) - The K5 (primary) and the K100 (backup). The K100 is like 8 years old now, but it has the CCD sensor. It was my first dSLR and I kept it as the backup because its worth - at $100 would not make a large difference in anything else, 2) wanted the CCD for comparison, and 3) the sensor has big pixels which are very colorful and for landscapes it still comes in handy.
3. How do you use them, meaning what lenses do you usually use? Why those two? Do you usually have even more lenses on hand? - Hard question, as it depended on the situation. I found it a bit confusing to multi-task between the two airport views. I could see it up at the Grand Canyon with two different lenses with the same scene, but that is not why I took it up there. It was somewhat of a last minute decision to take everything and it saved the trip.
4. Do you use a pre-loaded custom Mode setting for each one in this circumstance? - That had not occurred to me. It was just the backup that came in handy.
5. How do you carry them? Is it a big hassle? Do the cameras ever bang against each other, etc.? - I carried everything in 2 backpacks and a little camera case. I worked out of the passenger's front seat of the truck. That arrangement usually works out fine for me.
6. Do you carry two tripods, too? - Yes, I have two tripods, one heavy that stays in the back seat of the truck, and a lite travel one that fits into my carry-on luggage. I also have two heads, a ballhead (Arcatech GP) and a geared head (Manfrotto 410). I use them for different things. The geared for precise aiming and adjustments. The ballhead for stitched panoramas (single row). Actually, I lied - I have three, with the third one being a Panorama head - a Nodal Ninja 3, that I use for multirow stitched panos. I either put it on top of the ballhead (the GP), or I found a leveling base (the Arcatech Leveling base).
7. Can the flash on the second camera act as a slave? - Flash? What's a flash? I do landscapes, ain't no flash needed. - just kidding, I really only use a flash maybe once every other year.

Maybe some more questions will come to mind. But any answers will do, if your work ever gets this complex and have good advice! As for me, I think it might help with action shooting to have two cameras on hand.

Thank you,

Dave
embedded....

Actually, on the last minute trip up to the Grand Canyon, I also took the Q. When the K5 went down with battery problems, I just switched to the K100 and the Q. One on the tripod and the other handheld. It actually went pretty well, considering everything.

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-07-2014 at 12:13 PM.
12-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shooting with two bodies at the same time? I think the only guy that does that is Kai over at DigitalRev.

But seriously, yes, I like to carry two at a time with different lenses. In fact when I go to Yellowstone I bring all my camera bodies each with its own lens. Of course I have enough trouble carrying just one much less all of them so I stick close to the car!
12-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Do You Ever Shoot With Two Bodies?
All the time...

1. Each one has a different focal (prime) lens on.
2. Two bodies of the the same make, set up the same, both have grips.
3. As I need too, the best ones suited to what I'm doing, yes other lenses in bags.
4. Manual or P mode on both.
5. One over each shoulder, no hassle, no collisions.
6. No just one tripod.
7. I'm not set up that way to do that.

Really the set up really depends on how you work and what your doing, no two people work the same way, just do what you need to do to get the job done.

12-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

All depends on the gig... for event/stage photography, always two bodies... for small parties and casual events, one is enough.
12-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had several opportunities to carry two. If you every shoot an event like a wedding where things are fast moving it is very handy. I do a lot of nature shooting in which I like to carry two cameras, one with the DA*300 mounted and ready for wildlife (wildlife seldom waits while you change lenses) and the other camera ready for landscapes or macro type photos.
2. What two bodies? (And why those two, if there are specific reasons!) I use a K-30 and K-50 because that's what I have, I sometimes will carry a Super Program.
3. How do you use them, meaning what lenses do you usually use? Why those two? Do you usually have even more lenses on hand?
The lenses depend on what I am looking to shoot. If I have additional lenses they will usually be in individual cases on my best, or in the messenger bag. The messenger bag is pretty new and I haven't used it that much yet.
4. Do you use a pre-loaded custom Mode setting for each one in this circumstance?
That somewhat depends on the circumstance, subject, and lens.
5. How do you carry them? Is it a big hassle? Do the cameras ever bang against each other, etc.?
I've carried them with two sling straps so they don't collide, the Black Rapid sling is my preferred strap anyway. Yesterday while my wife shopped I walked around with the K-50 and Tamron 10-24 on the sling, and the K-30 with a A 50/1.7 in a messenger type bag. Only reason I did that yesterday was that the wind was pretty strong and I really don't like to change lenses in windy conditions. If I'm going to be shooting from the car or driving taking roadside shots I leave the straps off so they don't get caught on something, each camera stays in a different bag with a lens mounted.
I only have one, I would like to add a lighter weight tripod, I'm not sure I would carry two, but I would not rule it out.
Sorry, I have no idea
12-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indirectly answering the question. To me two bodies and two primes chosen for the occasion is a very workable solution.

I feel two bodies has resolved many of the issues I had when I had the "wrong" lens attached and circumstances restricted a change. I can zoom by walking now without having to walk too far ...

The carrying logistics are personal taste.

And now the off topic bit. Take one chunky d800 and heavy zoom that costs £3000 or so, or for marginal less iq, two k-3s and pancake primes - result a more flexible kit for less weight.

Last edited by BarryE; 12-07-2014 at 01:04 PM.
12-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

1. and 2. What circumstances might you use two bodies? What two bodies?
I carry two only for 'serious' shoots. I love old manual glass - but sometimes with fast action, the convenience of auto everything is called for. The first body is for high automation utility like a K-50 with AF on. Second body is full manual with manual focus- usually a Canon 6d (for full frame) That way I always have a camera ready if something happens while I'm switching lenses or configuring the fiddly manual setup.
AF body - general purpose on the AF body - zoom or 35/2.4. FF manual body - the K50/1.2 if low light venue, otherwise a 85/1.8 or 135/2.5 for shallow DOF. I usually have either 28/1.8 or 17/4 fisheye for ultra-wide as a spare.
Nope, I adapt as I go.
AF body - with short neck strap directly in front at all times. MF body - with very, very long neck strap worn like a sling to my right hip. I wear a small waist bag at the right rear for spare lenses. I never have collision issues because one camera hangs high and one hangs very low. They never cross paths.. This works extremely well for me.
Normally only one if needed. The exception is if for low light shoot where one camera needs to handle continuous video and the other still shots.
N/A. Any time I use slave flashes, they are off-camera.
12-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/278705-who-frequ...-two-slrs.html
12-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The only circumstance when I use 2 bodies is when I plan to shoot telephoto (birding, airshows) but want to be prepared for wider shots without swapping lenses. The Ricoh GR is a great 2nd body for that because it's so compact.
12-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote

Ha! I'm looking to buy a K-5 IIs, too! Thank you for the link.

Dave
12-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

2. What two bodies? (And why those two, if there are specific reasons!)

Thank you,

Dave
If you shoot for money, two bodies are a must for obvious back up reasons. I shot weddings for a few years and had two bodies (Canons) one fitted with a 24-105 for wide and medium shots and one fitted with a 70-200 f2.8 for portraits and long shots. I used other lenses as needed but those two took care of 95% of the wedding.

Not only you need two bodies (or more if you can afford it), you also need two flashes (or more) and extra lenses just incase. I have had flashes fail on me in the middle of the shoot. I have never had bodies or lenses fail on me. I have had occasional camera freezes on Canons but vary rarely.

On the other hand I have had lots of K3 freezes on one of my bodies. I do not shoot weddings but for the assignments I have shot, I have used one body and it has frozen on me a half a dozen times (bummer). Fortunately I had time to take the battery out and rest the camera. If that was a wedding (fast action) shooting, too many freezes are not acceptable. I am gonna test my second K3 in the next few weeks to see if I have the same problem.