Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Such sucky weather!

The weatherman is calling for dense fog, overcast skies, chance of rain and/or snow for the next 7-10 days! This really sucks.... BIG TIME! I've got one camera bag packed with several new-to-me lenses I'm anxious to try out. Got my other camera bag packed with three cameras. Got my tripod and monopod in the trunk of my car. And here I sit, looking out the window at dense fog and near-freezing temperatures!

I guess all that's left is to shoot some still lifes.... or go to the supermarket, buy a bouquet of flowers and shoot some close-focus images. What's a guy to do!
Hmmm.... just a thought.... maybe go to a museum. Or, try to chronicle the bad weather? How in the heck do you shoot pictures of fog? Maybe headlights in the fog? Buildings in the fog? A real challenge, it 'tis.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

12-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, the weather is dreadful.
Another thing you can do is try botanic gardens and zoos. They don't always allow photography, but if they do, you can get nice photos. Especially if you really focus on just one subject, wait for it do to something interesting, find a good light,..
12-08-2014, 05:18 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

OMG! Get out and shoot! Fog is a great time to shoot because everything takes on a bit of a mystical quality. Plus, fog can hide all sorts of ugly backgrounds. As you already said, adding light sources in your pictures can be very cool in the fog. Heck, I used to get up before dawn and check the weather just to specifically look for foggy conditions. Btw, the closer the dewpoint gets to the temperature, the denser fog you'll get.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
12-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #4

You can try shooting high contrast Black & White, just set you camera to monochrome and stick the contrast all the way up!
I discovered crappy weather can make for some great B&W shots.

12-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
OMG! Get out and shoot! Fog is a great time to shoot because everything takes on a bit of a mystical quality. Plus, fog can hide all sorts of ugly backgrounds. As you already said, adding light sources in your pictures can be very cool in the fog. Heck, I used to get up before dawn and check the weather just to specifically look for foggy conditions. Btw, the closer the dewpoint gets to the temperature, the denser fog you'll get.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Both images are great, but #2 is really special! It captures the moment - the feeling of the weather - so well! The vapor coming up off the water at mid-scene is magical. Nice work.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

---------- Post added 12-08-14 at 05:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
You can try shooting high contrast Black & White, just set you camera to monochrome and stick the contrast all the way up!
I discovered crappy weather can make for some great B&W shots.

I've never tried that. Excellent thought.... and great stimulus. I'll do it.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Both images are great, but #2 is really special! It captures the moment - the feeling of the weather - so well! The vapor coming up off the water at mid-scene is magical. Nice work.
Thanks! I should have looked a little deeper into the pics I have on here. This one better illustrates what I was trying to say. This is just a mundane little cove on our city reservoir. You'd never know that in the background, there's normally another shoreline that's not so pretty. The fog just makes it blend into nothingness. Btw, I don't mean to suggest that these are great pics. Just trying to show that there are shooting opportunities out there in the fog.

[IMG][/IMG]
12-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Thanks! I should have looked a little deeper into the pics I have on here. This one better illustrates what I was trying to say. This is just a mundane little cove on our city reservoir. You'd never know that in the background, there's normally another shoreline that's not so pretty. The fog just makes it blend into nothingness. Btw, I don't mean to suggest that these are great pics. Just trying to show that there are shooting opportunities out there in the fog.

[/IMG]

I beg to differ, I think they ARE great images.... especially the last one you posted! Magnificent! The colors and sharpness are great. I'm very impressed and very much encouraged to venture out into the dampness.

Thanks for the comments.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

12-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
dense fog, overcast skies, chance of rain and/or snow
That's ok, Pentax doesn't need a rain coat.
12-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The local weather dudes are saying the nor'easter coming up the coast this week won't be all that big a deal by the time it gets here. But The Weather Channel is sending Jim Cantore hoping for the snowpocolipse.

We aren't going to get 8 feet of snow like Buffalo did last month, but because of where the snow is measured (at the airport) Syracuse will probably leapfrog Buffalo in the Golden Snowball race. The Buffalo airport only got a few inches during that lake effect event.

But I'm not going out even if my K-5 can handle it. I'm not a big fan of the winter anymore.
12-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The local weather dudes are saying the nor'easter coming up the coast this week won't be all that big a deal by the time it gets here. But The Weather Channel is sending Jim Cantore hoping for the snowpocolipse.
We flew home once and discovered Jim Cantore was on our flight (potential hurricane). You have this strange feeling you've been drafted unwillingly into a dangerous expedition.

Fog is rare here so I always think I should make some effort to capture it. So far I haven't gotten anything useful.
12-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
...I'm not going out even if my K-5 can handle it. I'm not a big fan of the winter anymore.
Winter can be a good time to shoot. It's all in the preparation. Heck, people ride snowmobiles in freezing conditions, so we ought to be able to dress warmly enough to just stand around with a tripod, right? And sometimes, that's not even needed! I used to drive around in the snow and look for scenes I could shoot from my car with a window-pod. I got a decent shot of a tree in blowing snow and entered it in our camera club competition. The person doing the critique said, "Look at this shot by TaoMaas! He's out there in almost a blizzard, enduring it for the sake of the shot. Tell us about it." I said, "Well...I was driving along a road next to the golf course. There was so much snow that you couldn't see the clubhouse in the background, so I pulled over, rolled down my window, set up my window-pod, shut off my car, and took the pic. I never even got out of my car nor turned off the heater." But even if you choose to get out of your car, it's possible to dress warmly enough for the conditions. I bought a pair of insulated coveralls, some after-ski boots, a Gore-tex cap, some good gloves, and I was usually fine for most shots that were relatively close to my car.
12-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Fog can be fantastic as long as it isn't super thick.

I was in the rain and fog on the Columbia River a month ago. I was very thrilled by the fog shots I got in that area: