Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S1 is the new K-01 - hated for silly reasons, not appreciated for what it is. The K-S1 has good image quality (20MP, no AA filter), it is a tiny camera, and has all features a newbie to amateur would need. Ive tried it in a store, and it was a nice surprise, even though the new button placement takes some getting used to. Its just different, and I am sure a user can get used to it as fast as to any new camera with different buttons. To me, the "worst" product would have to be doing something wrong, like problems with the sensor, restricted features, prone to failure, sensor stains and shutter problems. Not just "oh herp it has LED lights and the mode dial is on the back - worst product on the planet! What a death trap!" The main complaint is that it might be overpriced, but it was only just released and it is featuring a sensor that Pentax never used before. I expect its prices will come down soon, just like the original Q and K-01.

Edit: And I am talking about a general attitude towards the camera, not necessarily only the video in this thread. It was a fair enough video, they made some good points throughout, like about the Sony A6000. But the other "worst cameras" actually had problems with features, not just "it would be worth it if it cost $400 less"

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cameras that come in a lot of colours are hurt in these kinds of statistics, there's a different bar code for each colour. So, the camera overall could be their top seller, but these clowns would never know.
Ah, good point! I've seen the black and the white version of the K-S1. Both look pretty good. The store said more colours will be coming in soon.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-11-2014 at 07:59 AM.
12-11-2014, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Is CCSTV unbiased reviewers? They seem to be trying to be entertaining and don't look at the whole picture. That being said, the KS-1 looks like a big fail sales wise and look for big discounts (aka K-01) coming in 2015.
CCSTV is pretty much as unbiased as they come. They pretty much only promote things that they find are good/have features that they are proponents of - and as such, Chris and Jordan sometimes have quite different opinions.
12-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The 645Z shutter brought tears to their eyes.
12-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I love these guys. They give great reviews, and they have personality.

It was their video review of the K-30 that convinced me to buy it. I wouldn't be here without them.

12-11-2014, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a perfect example of one of the comforts of old age. I've ceased caring what other people think. Well, about what possessions I own. Wait... I never did.

If you want a K-S1, buy it, for whatever reason trips your fancy. Don't NOT buy it based on these schmucks.
12-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Maybe it's because of the KS1 current price vs K50 current price that makes it the worst camera of the year.....
It might drop to much muh less, like the Q, the K-01.... Donno if this weird pricing strategy is working well for them.
12-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These guys crack me up. @TCSJordan really passed out!?

Maybe the K-S1 doesn't go over well in Canada, but it is a hit in Australia!
Camera Magazine Imaging Awards 2015 announced | Camera | News | AVHub

12-11-2014, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I love these guys. They give great reviews, and they have personality.

It was their video review of the K-30 that convinced me to buy it. I wouldn't be here without them.

Pentax K-30 Hands-On Field Test - YouTube
Absolutely agree. They are one of the unbiased gear reviewers on YouTube. No nonsense, straight to the point gear reviews is why I love them. Accusing them of bias just because they put a Pentax camera in worst list is naive. Last year K-3 got into their best list, and this year 645z made the list. Give credit where it's due.

12-11-2014, 11:38 AM - 6 Likes   #24
Forum Member

Award Choices

I figured I'd be on here pretty quick to give an explanation for the KS1 award.

Chris and I debate the worst cameras of the year much more extensively than any other camera, we'd hate to undeserving saddle a camera with a bad reputation. Here's why we chose it (since I'm sure a few people haven't watched the whole video yet, it is pretty lengthy):

Chris and I are big Pentax fans, because they always have intelligent interfaces, rugged build and offer excellent value for the dollar. That's why the K3 and 645Z have won awards, and the K30 and 645D would have won awards from us earlier if we had been doing year end wrap-ups then. The K-S1, though, takes Pentax's trademark strengths away from the K50 and costs nearly twice as much. I can find a place in the market for most cameras, but that's not the case at all with the K-S1. For the same price, someone could have a Sony A6000, or a K50 with a pair of lenses. Both Chris and I found the handling very uncomfortable, especially the back dial. For a company with fewer products, it's a huge shame for Ricoh use its resources on a camera with features no one wants, instead of fleshing out the lens lineup, or replacing the K50.

Again these are just our opinions. If you love your KS1, keep shooting and getting great photos!
12-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #25
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
I figured I'd be on here pretty quick to give an explanation for the KS1 award.
Very nice of you to take the time to comment @TCSJordan

Chris and I debate the worst cameras of the year much more extensively than any other camera, we'd hate to undeserving saddle a camera with a bad reputation. Here's why we chose it (since I'm sure a few people haven't watched the whole video yet, it is pretty lengthy):
I really enjoyed the whole video, gave me a laugh, and had some memorable content

Chris and I are big Pentax fans, because they always have intelligent interfaces, rugged build and offer excellent value for the dollar. That's why the K3 and 645Z have won awards, and the K30 and 645D would have won awards from us earlier if we had been doing year end wrap-ups then.
I really liked your K-3 review and it helped in my decision process in upgrading to a K-3 from a K-5. Thanks for all the effort you put into your review videos, they are really informative and helpful.

Cheers

Ross
12-11-2014, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #26
ogl
Banned

Lets face the truth - nobody consider K-S1 as bargain...99.99% of us never buy this camera. It's fact.
Scroll the forums - no any deep discussions about K-S1. The interest is absolutely low.
K-01 was the hate and the love. K-S1 is the indifference.

No charisma camera. I would say.
12-11-2014, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
That is 2 years in a row Pentax have taken this position, with the K-3 getting the second best award in 2013.
And Chris furthermore said that the K-3 was "the best APS-C format camera, bar none".

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
They nailed it when they said, "...how can Pentax get something so right...and another so wrong?"
It's the story of our Pentax lives.
I thought this was the best point in the video. Having watched all of their videos for a few years, Chris and Jordan appreciate the same Pentax attributes, but are on the same roller-coaster ride, as the rest of us. Come on, who else out there on the Internet would even know to point out that the K-50 has all of the K-S1's good points, as well as being weather sealed, while costing less? I appreciate their willingness to call out the good with the bad ... just like the rest of us here do.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
CCSTV is pretty much as unbiased as they come. They pretty much only promote things that they find are good/have features that they are proponents of - and as such, Chris and Jordan sometimes have quite different opinions.
Totally agree they are as unbiased as one can get. It is also good to hear the counterpoint, when their perspectives differ.

Chris and I are big Pentax fans, because they always have intelligent interfaces, rugged build and offer excellent value for the dollar. That's why the K3 and 645Z have won awards, and the K30 and 645D would have won awards from us earlier if we had been doing year end wrap-ups then. The K-S1, though, takes Pentax's trademark strengths away from the K50 and costs nearly twice as much. I can find a place in the market for most cameras, but that's not the case at all with the K-S1. For the same price, someone could have a Sony A6000, or a K50 with a pair of lenses. Both Chris and I found the handling very uncomfortable, especially the back dial. For a company with fewer products, it's a huge shame for Ricoh use its resources on a camera with features no one wants, instead of fleshing out the lens lineup, or replacing the K50.
If one listened carefully during the video, I thought you guys were pretty clear why you put it on your list of worst cameras. Thank you for having the decency to explain why, both during the video, as well as with the follow-up here. Keep up the great work!

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 03:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Lets face the truth - nobody consider K-S1 as bargain...99.99% of us never buy this camera. It's fact.
Scroll the forums - no any deep discussions about K-S1. The interest is absolutely low.
K-01 was the hate and the love. K-S1 is the indifference.

No charisma camera. I would say.
Interesting point about love-hate vs. indifference. But if the K-S1 falls below $200 like the K-01 did, or maybe $150, then the indifference could quickly turn into a love-hate thing.
12-11-2014, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #28
Banned

Yeah.......two prizes!
12-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #29

Take a moment to view their funny channel presentation movie. I really like this channel - they seem unbiased, or rather they seem biased towards systems like Fuji, Sony, Pentax rather than the others. As for the K-S1, the reason for being #1 Worst is not necessarily the best reason, but come on, the announcement of the #1 worst camera coincided with the moment in the video where they had drank the most alcohol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=7QIE160nyd8
12-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote
Take a moment to view their funny channel presentation movie. I really like this channel - they seem unbiased, or rather they seem biased towards systems like Fuji, Sony, Pentax rather than the others. As for the K-S1, the reason for being #1 Worst is not necessarily the best reason, but come on, the announcement of the #1 worst camera coincided with the moment in the video where they had drank the most alcohol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=7QIE160nyd8
We try to keep an open mind about all the brands. As far as the episode, we figure out who is getting what award well before the 'opinion lubrication' comes into play.