Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
We try to keep an open mind about all the brands. As far as the episode, we figure out who is getting what award well before the 'opinion lubrication' comes into play.
Oh, didn't see that you actually involved in the thread.
Indeed, you decide on who wins the award well before the drinking part but to me as a viewer, the video gets less and less serious towards the end in such a way that I think I wouldn't get offended even if I were the owner of the K-S1. I meant it more like that.

Good content on your channel really.

12-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know why there are always comparisons made about the K-S1 vs the K-50 and say the K-S1 is too expensive by comparison to the K-50. These are two completely different cameras and it is like apples to oranges. The K-S1 is a 20MP sensor with the AA filter option. Now. personally, I would choose the K-50 over the S1 but there are benefits to the S1 and there are positive reviews on it based on, what is most important to me, IQ. It is an entry level camera so many people who have gotten one have most likely never had Pentax ergonomics so they wont care. I am happy to see that the S1 is receiving awards and I hope it continues. I was not impressed with the K-01 based on ergonomics and other issues but a lot of people love it. I like that Pentax takes risks......why always be the same as others ?
12-11-2014, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I don't know why there are always comparisons made about the K-S1 vs the K-50 and say the K-S1 is too expensive by comparison to the K-50. These are two completely different cameras and it is like apples to oranges. The K-S1 is a 20MP sensor with the AA filter option. Now. personally, I would choose the K-50 over the S1 but there are benefits to the S1 and there are positive reviews on it based on, what is most important to me, IQ. It is an entry level camera so many people who have gotten one have most likely never had Pentax ergonomics so they wont care. I am happy to see that the S1 is receiving awards and I hope it continues. I was not impressed with the K-01 based on ergonomics and other issues but a lot of people love it. I like that Pentax takes risks......why always be the same as others ?

They're not consistent and it may be hurting the brand. Many of us think that Pentax needs to stick with a concept and run with it.

The K-S1 is a major deviation from what they have been doing. The K500, K50, K3 lineup was terrific and offered something the competition didn't have. There's really no reason for the K-S1 to exist, honestly. The R&D costs associated with it could have been spent on upgrading the kit zooms to DC motors or something.
12-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh, Ricoh, Ricoh...when will you listen to Pentaxians.
You excel when you give us Pentax, but fail when you give us Ricoh.

We Pentaxians, the ones that BUY your products are not the customers you WANT, so sorry about that.
Someday, Ricoh you will learn to love us for what we are, and realize that Pentax is what we want.

Give us Pentax products if you want more money from our pockets.

Make new forums, try new cameras, whatever about us that make you not love us, is not our fault.

Learn to love the one you're with.

12-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ricoh, Ricoh, Ricoh...when will you listen to Pentaxians.
You excel when you give us Pentax, but fail when you give us Ricoh.

Don't forget about the GR. I don't have one, but folks seem to really like it.

Last edited by luftfluss; 12-11-2014 at 06:00 PM.
12-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think that the KS-1 will appeal to people who go into a store and look through the viewfinder side by side with the view through a mirrorless camera. There's only a small weight penalty, and some mirrorless are actually larger.

Anyway, we now know that cameras with an "S" are from Ricoh's 'Skunkworks' projects division. Not meant to be the mainstream choice, not meant to be the traditionalist's choice. It's meant to be pushing the envelope and testing new ideas.
12-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I think that the KS-1 will appeal to people who go into a store and look through the viewfinder side by side with the view through a mirrorless camera. There's only a small weight penalty, and some mirrorless are actually larger.

Anyway, we now know that cameras with an "S" are from Ricoh's 'Skunkworks' projects division. Not meant to be the mainstream choice, not meant to be the traditionalist's choice. It's meant to be pushing the envelope and testing new ideas.

How does the K-S1 push the envelope? I don't see it. All they did was move some buttons around, reduce ergonomics and add gimmicky lights.

12-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #38

I like their videos as well and I'm glad that the year end drinking episode made a come back.
12-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
I figured I'd be on here pretty quick to give an explanation for the KS1 award.

Chris and I debate the worst cameras of the year much more extensively than any other camera, we'd hate to undeserving saddle a camera with a bad reputation. Here's why we chose it (since I'm sure a few people haven't watched the whole video yet, it is pretty lengthy):

Chris and I are big Pentax fans, because they always have intelligent interfaces, rugged build and offer excellent value for the dollar. That's why the K3 and 645Z have won awards, and the K30 and 645D would have won awards from us earlier if we had been doing year end wrap-ups then. The K-S1, though, takes Pentax's trademark strengths away from the K50 and costs nearly twice as much. I can find a place in the market for most cameras, but that's not the case at all with the K-S1. For the same price, someone could have a Sony A6000, or a K50 with a pair of lenses. Both Chris and I found the handling very uncomfortable, especially the back dial. For a company with fewer products, it's a huge shame for Ricoh use its resources on a camera with features no one wants, instead of fleshing out the lens lineup, or replacing the K50.

Again these are just our opinions. If you love your KS1, keep shooting and getting great photos!
I hope you didn't drink all those shots. Loved the video, especially the teary eyed shutter. Now I must get to your store next time I'm in Calgary.
12-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #40
Site Supporter

I wouldn't have been able to even stand up by the time it came to the KS1 award. I would like to see something similar to that sensor in the K50 successor though, with WR and all the normal goodies we expect from Pentax, but TBH I can't see buying the K-S1 when for just 200 more you can snag a K3 with a battery grip.
12-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #41
Veteran Member

When he did the K-01 review, Chris didn't have the best things to say about it. And he occasionally reminds viewers of this. I think "disaster" and "garbage" were some of the terms he has more recently used. But, when you listen carefully to the specific detailed criticisms, they have been quite accurate/factual about the K-01.

That's okay, the K-01 was never meant to appeal to everyone. I still love both my K-01's. And I still watch TCS.
12-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
They're not consistent and it may be hurting the brand. Many of us think that Pentax needs to stick with a concept and run with it.

The K-S1 is a major deviation from what they have been doing. The K500, K50, K3 lineup was terrific and offered something the competition didn't have. There's really no reason for the K-S1 to exist, honestly. The R&D costs associated with it could have been spent on upgrading the kit zooms to DC motors or something.

That is your opinion and you are truly entitled to it but Pentax has to be different to grow as a company. They are never going to succeed as one of the top 3 unless they come out with what other people look at as different or refreshing. The same old back boxes with just a few add on's is not going to cut it now as there are not many earth shattering technological improvements of what DSLR's are now. Pentax is doing great by what they have been doing, making a profit and releasing products that are relevant. I think people are getting it now, as there are a lot of awards on the S1 and there are people buying this camera. We as true old school users, myself included who has a black K-30 and love my camera, are not seeing what others are looking for. I would never buy the S1, but my kids will, even my wife. When we need to look at what others might want, and not thinking about what we would want, we will understand it more. All I care about is that Pentax spreads the word however they do it, since marketing is non existent, and the more K-mount lenses, the more installed base numbers grow, the more we will all benefit from 3rd party manufacturers who think Pentax K-mount is growing and release new lenses.

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 09:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
How does the K-S1 push the envelope? I don't see it. All they did was move some buttons around, reduce ergonomics and add gimmicky lights.

How did the 1998 IMac push the envelope for Apple ? They didn't but that computer saved their company.

The S1 has a 20MP sensor, which was the first entry to mid level Pentax camera to go beyond 16MP. They removed the AA filter which equates to sharper pictures and have the option to include it. There are no other manufacturers to do that. They have an innovative way of switching to movie mode which entry level users have a faster way to take movies. Like I said, they don't have to push the envelope for the entry level models, they just need to compare to other manufacturers entry level models and see that Pentax did make improvements.

Last edited by JimC1101; 12-11-2014 at 09:21 PM.
12-12-2014, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think these discussion always end up coming back to price at time of release. And yes, Ricoh gets greedy when they release a new camera and they over price them, just to get a little bit extra squeezed out of early adopters. From their perspective, it is easier to discount a camera that isn't selling than to increase the price on a camera that is selling like hot cakes. Price will come down. I would be surprised if it doesn't end up selling in the just below 500 dollar range. Will that make it a better camera? Probably not.

It is an entry level camera, targeted at people who aren't used to SLR shape and functionality with some really high end features. I am not the market for such a camera. But I am not the market for the K50 or K500 either. That doesn't make those bad cameras and when the price comes down, I think it will sell decently.

I am glad Pentax tried something different. I'm sure they'll release a K60 which will have incremental improvements on the K50. But what's the point of that? It certainly won't attract new users to the brand and people who are satisfied with their K30s and K50s aren't likely to upgrade.
12-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #44

When I got back into photography in 2010, the reason I went with Pentax was that I had prior good experience with the brand and the K-x was a well reviewed camera at a good price.

Looking at adorama just now, it appears that pentax has the WR K-50 priced low enough to attract new users (like I was) with an awesome camera. So I think Pentax will do fine with or without the K-S1
12-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A hit as in selling well? Or, a hit as in the folks at this magazine loved it....and that's about it....

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
These guys crack me up. @TCSJordan really passed out!?

Maybe the K-S1 doesn't go over well in Canada, but it is a hit in Australia!
Camera Magazine Imaging Awards 2015 announced | Camera | News | AVHub