Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I hope you didn't drink all those shots. Loved the video, especially the teary eyed shutter. Now I must get to your store next time I'm in Calgary.
You are better off not going to their store as everytime we go we come out with less money than we went in with The worst time was going in there to buy my wife a wide angle adapter for her Holga and leaving with a used SWC Hasselblad for her instead.

For those who have never been there, the Pentax section is easy to find.

12-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
going in there to buy my wife a wide angle adapter for her Holga and leaving with a used SWC Hasselblad for her instead.
Wow, that's quite the up-sell!
12-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Wow, that's quite the up-sell!
The camera sold itself. Still need to get the Holga wide angle adapter some day or prehaps one for a Diana.
12-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Back to K-S1 and TCS awards : just an other apalling web-bashing tweet, for a camera that few objectiv testers take the oportunity to even read the technical specs or really use in its target users conditions.

=> K-S1 : Just the best JPEG IQ for an APS-C DSLR with such compactness and comfortable pentaprism, but uncomfortable grip.
/period

Last edited by Zygonyx; 12-13-2014 at 12:54 AM.
12-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So long as the Hasselblad Stellar II exists, I don't see how any Pentax can be considered a poor value or the worst camera of the year. At least the K-S1 was intended to take pictures, not just sit on a shelf and be collectible.
12-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I think the Sony Hasselblads were on their 2013 worst cameras list.
12-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So long as Hasselblad keeps announcing new ones (i.e., Stellar II), they should stay at the top of the list.

12-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I guess they choose it based on how it looks and not on how good the pictures look. Kinda shallow for them if you ask me.
Bollocks! In the Canikon world, everyone knows that the mark of quality is whether your camera has "street cred": the more people using it, the better! Also, the more expensive it is, the better! Cameras are STATUS SYMBOLS, remember?

As we all know, the best and greatest camera on the planet is the Rebel T3i because everyone has one! So many people can't be wrong, right? Never mind that it will disintegrate if you breath on it too heavily, but hey, then you get the pleasure of buying another one!
12-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Are there people listening to these guys? I'm not a fan of the K-S1 but, I know a lot of people here have the K-S1 and they love it. I don't need to criticize KS-1 owners if the camera fits their needs. But to say that nobody owns one, that is absurd.
12-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Whatever the media, there is always one day or the other the need for them to create (more) buzz. Sometimes, it just helps them to survive...
TCS, despite its review's general good level, is no exception.
Too bad they thought heavy trolling was a good idea, they didn't need it... and Pentax neither.

---------- Post added 13-12-14 at 01:13 ----------

In a time where compacity is a must, someone must indeed be blind... :

Compare camera dimensions side by side
12-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #56

I found myself laughing and enjoying the segment, TCS mixed humour and seriousness and I think they strike the right balance between the two. So what if they think the KS1 suck.. It is their opinion and they also give quite som praise for other Pentax cameras (645Z and K3 to be specific).

They are actually promoting Pentax cameras, which is more then I han say for a lot of outlets.
12-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Bollocks! In the Canikon world, everyone knows that the mark of quality is whether your camera has "street cred": the more people using it, the better! Also, the more expensive it is, the better! Cameras are STATUS SYMBOLS, remember?

As we all know, the best and greatest camera on the planet is the Rebel T3i because everyone has one! So many people can't be wrong, right? Never mind that it will disintegrate if you breath on it too heavily, but hey, then you get the pleasure of buying another one!

I hear that. I never understand why the T3i is in such high regard. It has to be that it is a Canon and from what they heard, everyone should have a Canon (or Nikon). Canon makes great video options in their cameras but their IQ and >1600 ISO noise sucks.
12-13-2014, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
So long as Hasselblad keeps announcing new ones (i.e., Stellar II), they should stay at the top of the list.
No. They need to create a whole new award for the most absurd product product and just call it the Stellar award.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Whatever the media, there is always one day or the other the need for them to create (more) buzz. Sometimes, it just helps them to survive...
TCS, despite its review's general good level, is no exception.
Too bad they thought heavy trolling was a good idea, they didn't need it... and Pentax neither.
So if they say something good about Pentax like they did with the K-3 or the 645z, they are being honest and fair, but if they say something negative about Pentax they are trolling? I think you are the one with the strong bias, not them.

The KS-1 might do well in Japan. It might sell well at Star Trek conventions. There is nothing wrong with its capabilities, but for the price I would buy the K-50 or even a K-30 first. The KS-1 and the K-01 are both fashion over function cameras for people who care more about the looks than anything else. Yes. The LED lights are gimmicky IMO. The body looks cheap with gaps that made some people think it was a modular design when it first came out. The corporate loyalist who only care about the brand name on the camera will buy it and defend it to the end. For the rest of us its an irrelevant camera from a company that really can't afford to be making irrelevant products.
12-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #59
Veteran Member

If I could give Winder +1 via tapatalk I would. He nailed it from A to Z.

Pentax didn't need the K-S1. There are at least a half dozen products or upgrades that could been realized instead. Things like leaf-shutter lenses for the 645, ring motors to replace SDM, DC-powered lit zooms. The list goes on.
12-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The KS-1 and the K-01 are both fashion over function cameras for people who care more about the looks than anything else.
Well, that comment certainly isn't true for the K-01:
  • It will quickly and correctly focus tricky zooms like the Tamron 17-50 which don't respond uniformly to AF adjustment.
  • It provides the perfect platform for M42 lenses, letting you compose at working aperture
    (and accepts lenses like the Westromat which foul DSLR mirrors).
  • It lets you focus and use lenses like the K or A50/1.2 handheld in low light conditions.
And both the K-01 and KS-1 have small, light bodies that are easy to carry around.