Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Air travel with high speed film

I'm thinking of picking up some high speed film, like Fuji Superia 1600, during my trip to London. How should I handle this film when I come back to the US? It seems that people have good luck with taking the films as part of their carry on luggage. Some stories of film on checked bags getting fogged exist. I will be flying out of Heathrow.

I have always used low speed film (<400) and have never had any issues on recent travels with carry on luggage.

12-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how it is now with all the terrorism scare all over the place. But back in the day you could go with fast film and let them check it manually. Have had that done many times. What I did after 9/11 though, jsut put the film in pockets (cargo pants) and walk through the security gate, they won't let it go off. And if they did and found it, I would say oh yeah forgot, high speed film, already put it in my pants so you could check it. Never had problems, alwasy was checked manually.

But there also have been occasions that i just forgot a few rolls of film, and never had them fogged up.

(Actually, have had the most problems with the big lenses, they always wanted to check them)
12-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

They will still manually check film.
12-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

I fly with film in a lead bag (Domke). I've never had a problem carrying it on. Cufflinks bought me a twenty minute grilling, but film doesn't raise an eyebrow.

12-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a film x-ray bag, but they are only tested up to 800 or 1000 ISO.

Your only option is hand screening for 1600 ISO film.

Phil.
12-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

It has been years but I used to take the rolls of film out of the canisters a put the film without canisters into a clear plastic bag. This I would offer up for hand inspection. Usually it passes right through but once I had an inspector insist that it go through the x-ray machine. After 16 hours straight of sitting on airplanes and in airports I just put it through the x-ray machine. It was on ISO 100 and Modern Photography did some tests back in the 80s and one pass through domestic (US) machines had a negligible effect. Machines were much more powerful back then as the sensors now are much more sensitive. I could have insisted on hand inspection but when these agents have their authority challenged they will mark their territory and pull you out of the line for a full inspection just because they can.

You could always double or triple up the lead bags.
12-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I make it as easy as possible for them to check by putting the film into plastic bags and no boxes. Seldom have I had any problems and only once did the staff refuse to do it. That was a trip home and I figured one pass could not hurt low speed film. When I started traveling on my previous job the local airport security were more concerned about my digital camera than the film due to the fact that I used it at explosion trials and they told me of all the paperwork they would have to fill out for me to take the camera with me. I have not flown out of Heathrow and next year's trip will have so much film I plan on sending it separately but in CAnada the States and Austria I have had no problems. Like I said I make it as easy as possible and show up in plenty of time ahead of boarding.

12-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A lead lined bag! It didn't even cross my mind to see if such a thing existed. Now I know for next time.

I think this time I will try for a manual inspection by the security folks as part of my carry on luggage. If they say it must go through the x-ray machine then so be it. These aren't people I want to argue with and kick up a storm against! My hope at that point is that it doesn't get too fogged up if at all. The film was about $15 equivilent!
12-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On a recent trip I put my film in my old "FilmShield" lead bag and left it in my carry-on as it went through security. I was a bit surprised that this didn't trigger a hand search, but it didn't. I wasn't carrying anything faster than ISO 100, but I used the bag just in case.

There are, or used to be, thicker lead-lined bags for high-speed film.
12-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #10

Domke and Sima still make these bags. The make bags for higher speed films, but you should check the specs. You shouldn't put film even in film bags in checked luggage as more powerful x-ray machines are used on checked luggage.
12-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

some TSA idiots have no idea what a film look like (especially 120), film camera as well. One idiot insist that I put the film through x-ray even though I ask him to hand check. complete incompetence.

it depends on your luck, I would say.
12-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
it depends on your luck, I would say.
Especially if you're carrying sheet film, so I've heard. "What's in the box?" At least a film cartridge is still pretty widely recognized for what it is.
12-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Especially if you're carrying sheet film, so I've heard. "What's in the box?" At least a film cartridge is still pretty widely recognized for what it is.

yeah... I thought for all these years at least some society of photography would have tell TSA to have their officer learn what is film, but no.