Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which equipment to take to Greece

I appreciate any help with what camera equipment to take to Greece in March....

First, the context. I and another professor will take a group of 13 honors students to Greece for just over a week in early March. Along with us will be four other adults, each of which can help with oversight responsibilities of the students. The trip is structured by a tour company: we'll be in Athens at the beginning and end, and in between we'll be in Dephi, Patras, Loutraki (i.e., Corinth), Argos, Mycenae, Epidaurus, and the island of Aegina (off the coast of Athens). I will not have my family with me.

I tend to take too much equipment. But I also kick myself if I don't have something with me that I could have used.

I intend to take a Pentax 12-24 f4, an FA* 28-70 f2.8, a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO, and my only camera body, a K5iis + grip. After that, everything is up for grabs....

By then I expect to have a DA* 300mm f4 and maybe the Pentax HD 1.4x TC. I also have a Sigma 180 f3.5 macro. And for now I have a Tokina 400mm f5.6 SD (though that might get sold if the DA* 300 works out).

I was not going to take any flash equipment.

I can't decide about filters. A circular polarizer, of course. But I have a P-series Cokin system with various kinds of polarizers and graduated neutral density filters.

I also can't decide about my carbon fiber tripod.

Lastly, which containers?. I have two long holster cases that could fit a good four lenses and my camera. I also have two largish knapsack packs. And I have a hard Tundra case (think something like a large Pelican hardcase), that might provide safety on the flights to and fro. And, no lack of other small soft bags and cases if needed.

I don't mind carrying around a good bit of equipment. It's not like we're going to be hiking for hours up mountains. And we'll have a coach for travel.

My photographic goals are mixed for this trip. I need to take images for my school. And I want to make good images for my own portfolio and website. I don't mind taking time to make photos, but I know that fairly often I'll be constrained by the limits of the tour.

Suggestions?

12-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would travel light. 17-70 Sigma, 70-210 F Pentax and 50 f2 Ricoh for lenses. Camera would be my K5 and my old K100D for a backup. If I need anything wider, I can always stitch a panorama.
12-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Of all the gear I own I decided to only take my Q with the 01, 02, and 03 lens plus a PZ-20 with a FA 43mm Limited. My theme, and advice, would be to travel light. You are going on vacation with your camera - not the other way around. So take your 28-70 and 70-200 if you can manage it. If 28mm is not wide enough then take two shots and stitch them together.

Just a thought.
12-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

From your gorgeous portfolio it looks like you cover a range of photo genres with an exacting approach for each. So what to someone else might look like too much stuff might be the bare minimum for you. With coach transport and no family take everything you feel you'll need. But don't leave the tripod at home. Ancient marble ruins in early spring light...you'll be kicking yourself if you can't get a steady shot.

12-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I appreciate any help with what camera equipment to take to Greece in March....

First, the context. I and another professor will take a group of 13 honors students to Greece for just over a week in early March. Along with us will be four other adults, each of which can help with oversight responsibilities of the students. The trip is structured by a tour company: we'll be in Athens at the beginning and end, and in between we'll be in Dephi, Patras, Loutraki (i.e., Corinth), Argos, Mycenae, Epidaurus, and the island of Aegina (off the coast of Athens). I will not have my family with me.

I tend to take too much equipment. But I also kick myself if I don't have something with me that I could have used.

I intend to take a Pentax 12-24 f4, an FA* 28-70 f2.8, a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO, and my only camera body, a K5iis + grip. After that, everything is up for grabs....

By then I expect to have a DA* 300mm f4 and maybe the Pentax HD 1.4x TC. I also have a Sigma 180 f3.5 macro. And for now I have a Tokina 400mm f5.6 SD (though that might get sold if the DA* 300 works out).

I was not going to take any flash equipment.

I can't decide about filters. A circular polarizer, of course. But I have a P-series Cokin system with various kinds of polarizers and graduated neutral density filters.

I also can't decide about my carbon fiber tripod.

Lastly, which containers?. I have two long holster cases that could fit a good four lenses and my camera. I also have two largish knapsack packs. And I have a hard Tundra case (think something like a large Pelican hardcase), that might provide safety on the flights to and fro. And, no lack of other small soft bags and cases if needed.

I don't mind carrying around a good bit of equipment. It's not like we're going to be hiking for hours up mountains. And we'll have a coach for travel.

My photographic goals are mixed for this trip. I need to take images for my school. And I want to make good images for my own portfolio and website. I don't mind taking time to make photos, but I know that fairly often I'll be constrained by the limits of the tour.

Suggestions?
A wide angle zoom lens (you have) a medium focal length zoom (I use a 17-50 f2.8 but your 28-70 is good) and a telephoto zoom (I used the DA 55-300 for least weight). I wouldn't take anything else lens wise. I found that I did not use the 55-300 much if at all. But your needs may vary from mine. Bring your tripod. That is something you won't regret. Circular Polarizer for the filter. Grad Neutral Density would be cool too but I rarely used mine. Forget the flash - few places will let you use it inside.
Pickpockets are rampant and they are good - particularly in Athens itself. Whatever you try arrange it so its not over your back unprotected. If its on your back ensure the zips or fasteners are either lockable or secured with a tie wrap or something to slow them down. If you can manage it I'd advise to get the kit down to one knapsack. One of the larger size Lowepros for example. I expect you will do the Oracle at Delphi and that is a side of a hill. Also if you do Meteora the paths up to the top of the rocks to the Churches are fairly narrow and can be a bit if a walk. So light counts.
Hope that helps.
12-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On historic trips I've found that you can't go too wide in the lenses you take with you. Longer lenses tend not to get used by me on such outings and the 70-200 is large & realtively heavy. I'd rather have the tripopd than the fast long lens personally. Also, I'd try to get a strap with a metal wire core for the camera and/or bag in Athens. Rocket blower, lens brush, remote, SSD portable hard drive for backup are the additional items I'd pack.
12-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Officiousbystander: thanks for the compliment. Naturally, amount of luggage on the plane (and weight) are issues, so as much as I want to bring everything, I have to find ways to restrain myself.

I am interested to see two recommendations for a tripod. Many online travel recommendations advise against a tripod, but then again, perhaps they're not aimed at more serious photographers (which I at least take myself to be).

Unfortunately, no Meteora this time. I so wanted to get (back) there, but it doesn't work for this trip. Yes, to the Oracle at Delphi. I'd ask the Oracle what to bring, but it will be too late by then. ;-)

Any ideas on what to bring the equipment in on the plane? The Tundra hard case?

12-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Pentax 12-24, 28-70 a nice carbon fiber tripod and some filters. A flash might come in handy but going on vacation I would find an inexpensive manual flash that you won't mind getting broken or stolen. With the K5iis you can crop a bit. Travel light and have some fun. If you need the reach find a used DA or DA L 55-300.
12-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Forum Member

I think you would find that you would use the 12-24 and the 28-70 for most of your shots. I have carried a 50-200 on a few trips but usually only taken a couple of shots with it.
I recently travelled to India with a K5 IIs and 3 pentax lenses. A 10-17, a 20-40 and a 50-135.
80% of my images were with the 20-40 but I was glad I had the others. I also took a flash but rarely used it and for security reasons I wasn't allowed to use my tripod in many places, so that was a disappointment. I had a polarising and ND filters and used both at various times and found the reverse grad ND filter especially important at sunsets.
12-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by albatross Quote
I think you would find that you would use the 12-24 and the 28-70 for most of your shots. I have carried a 50-200 on a few trips but usually only taken a couple of shots with it.
I recently travelled to India with a K5 IIs and 3 pentax lenses. A 10-17, a 20-40 and a 50-135.
80% of my images were with the 20-40 but I was glad I had the others. I also took a flash but rarely used it and for security reasons I wasn't allowed to use my tripod in many places, so that was a disappointment. I had a polarising and ND filters and used both at various times and found the reverse grad ND filter especially important at sunsets.
Love to read about your experiences in the field with the 20-40.
12-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Love to read about your experiences in the field with the 20-40.

Will do Docrwm, once I have finished pp work on my 2000 odd images.
12-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #12

Tripod, small monopod polarizer, gradient filters and lenses on the wide side...
12-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Absolutely take the tripod. I have so many sunset pictures in Greece that would have been so much better if I'd had a tripod at the time.

Also, the Argolid (well, most of the southern Peloponnese) is my archaeological stomping grounds. PM me if you want a few off-the-beaten path places to take good pictures.
12-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I was in Greece and Turkey a couple of months ago.......lens choice is dilemma.... especially when you have some great lenses as you do.

So... 21mm view....

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

or from the same spot with a 300mm......... see the fly on the cheek....no tripod

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

I love taking the 300mm with me..... a real point of difference for some shots....about 10-20% for me.....

some 300 shots

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

I take a siru carbon travel tripod (as per review on this forum) with me but don't use it much....normally there is something to rest the camera on...

Last edited by noelpolar; 12-11-2014 at 10:46 PM.
12-12-2014, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

As I live in Greece, I can only ensure you that in March you will have plenty sunlight to shoot handheld until at least 18:00! :-D Since the sunset is very beautiful in places like Delphi, Epidaurus etc. I would take a tripod with me for those sweet minutes...

You have everything you need. The most useful lenses for me? A real wide angle lens for the archaelogical sites and another quite tele one for those areas that are not open to the people but still you can take photographs!

My final suggestion since you have a macro lens you will find some unique flora at that period that you can capture, if that kind of photograph falls in your photographic interests!

Have a great time anyway!