Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photography college class, is it worth trying?

Local community college offers 2 month photography class next year. Fee includes course material and certificate (don't need that actually)
Basic fundamentals, fashion, portrait, etc. Lightning techniques, photo finishing, creating start-up portfolio. Must complete all assignments and projects.

I checked course instructor's site. He seems pretty good photographer, and more important I see what I would like to learn from him. The question, of course, if the course itself means advancing learning.

If someone has had experience with courses like this one, was it worth time and money?

12-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It's fun. Like any course, how much you learn depends upon how much you put into it. But where else but a class setting are you going to get to have people look at your work, look at others' work, think about it all in a structured way, be forced to do some things you might not otherwise, socialize via photography, etc etc...
12-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But where else but a class setting are you going to get to have people look at your work, look at others' work, think about it all in a structured way, be forced to do some things you might not otherwise, socialize via photography, etc etc...
That's the main reason makes me thinking about "going out" and pay for it. All I have now is me and comp, and I feel like I need to put all things I leaned on my own together, and see where to go from the starting point I'm stuck into.
12-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah I agree here, I would do it just to see what others are actually being taught, and what other users are showing, a different perspective. But if you show them a Pentax, be expected to hear them say "I didn't know Pentax cameras are still being made now" or they will say they need to have a Canikon for the course.

12-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know about that college course, But before you pay for a course, make sure you have the right equipment. Some courses require you to buy a certain brand of camera. I have heard of people paying for a photography course, only to find out there camera is not acceptable. they had to go by Nikon or Canon. this is one case where you need to do your homework before you take the class.
12-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Depends - The variable is cost !
A lot of this is stuff you can watch on YouTube ! , then go out and do it yourself !
The big question is can you motivate yourself ? Or do you need a class environment ?
Fantastic thing about digital is , you can go out and shoot a few hundred frames and see what you got .. If you don't like the results , go out try something different .. And the results are almost instantaneous ...

2 Years ago I knew little to nothing about macro photography ..
But all I needed to do was walk out the door , burn through some shutter actuations , and I got instant feedback ( VIA pictures taken )
And as I learned how not to do things the wrong way , I was left with doing it the right way ...
That's what learning is about , eliminating all the wrong ways of doing things ! ( as many as you can ) and leaving yourself with the right ways !

I cant answer your question , only you can !
Do you need to go to school ? There are only two answers .. Yes or No
12-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

another thought, Sometimes being self-taught, You learn a lot of bad habits. Bad habits are hard to break, and you don't need to break good habits. learning in a controlled environment, with an instructor can eliminate learning some bad habits. also there are a lot of videos on the web claiming to teach you how to use a camera. Most of these videos will probably have good advice, but there's some that show their ignorance by opening their mouth. I started to watch one of these videos not long ago, just curious mostly, and the first words out of his mouth was The six megapixel image could not be blown up more than 4x6. Having a K100D, I have blown up several pictures to 8 x 10 and larger. With the Internet, you have no idea whether the person is qualified to be teaching the subject or not. I'm sure the college has investigated the instructor's qualifications. Whether you get a good teacher or not remains to be seen.

12-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

I agree, you could take the time and learn all you need to know on the internet. But when you follow a structured lesson with feedback and peer interaction, your learning experience is better, which will make your photography better.
12-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Some courses require you to buy a certain brand of camera. I have heard of people paying for a photography course, only to find out there camera is not acceptable. they had to go by Nikon or Canon. this is one case where you need to do your homework before you take the class.
Sure, I'm not going to sing up without talking with instructor, but I needed to know if it's good idea of planning to enroll. Although I do have Canon, I prefer the camera of my choice in class. Basics can be shown on any DSLR camera, and the features for fundamentals are pretty much the same. I can read the manual about different setups for different brands on my own. The fundamentals are the same.
Actually I love to show my Pentax. Canon is nothing special at all, it's everywhere. But Pentax is rare!

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 10:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
The big question is can you motivate yourself ? Or do you need a class environment ?
And here is the answer
another thought, Sometimes being self-taught, You learn a lot of bad habits. Bad habits are hard to break, and you don't need to break good habits. learning in a controlled environment, with an instructor can eliminate learning some bad habits.
12-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I would suggest just emailing to teacher and ask alot of questions about the class, especially about what exactly you may (or may not need) for the class.

Ask especially if their photography program is particular to a specific brand (or brands (for my Community Coll. it's Canon & Nikon)) so if anything you can be prepared in advance if you should need to either rent or borrow a camera, lens, or both.

Is it a "all film class" or "all digital" class? Hybrid class (can use either film or digital)?

Which leads too asking if they have cameras & lenses that can be loaned out (either film or digital, depending on the which way the class is geared to, and what brands they are) and if they do, how long can it be loaned out?
12-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the Internet, you have no idea whether the person is qualified to be teaching the subject or not. I'm sure the college has investigated the instructor's qualifications. Whether you get a good teacher or not remains to be seen.
Oh, yes. I was so frustrated in the beginning with all those youtube "gurus" not knowing really whom to listen. Thankfully, I discovered Pentax before I dropped photography on start.
I take pictures now mainly as a stress relief, but it happened that I'm getting involved deeper. I can not plan anything far right now, basically living one day at time, ready for life turning upside down at any moment. If things get better, I can enroll in January, if not... well, at least now I know where to go one day and what to expect.
12-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I think it'd be at least a good starting point, and any other questions you may have can be asked here or looked up on youtube.
12-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless it's ridiculously expensive, I'd give it a shot. I took a series of (non-credit) photo classes at our local community college with my wife. Structured a bit differently, though--4 classes (1 each quarter); the first class was just an intro course that I didn't really need to take, but it was good info for my wife and a good refresher for me. Second and third classes were where the work actually began, with real assignments and actual coursework. The fourth class is different; you choose your own project with the goal of doing a final presentation of your work at the end of the class, with weekly critiques from the instructor and your classmates. I've actually taken the fourth class three times now, as it's a pretty rewarding experience, and a good way for me to meet people who share an interest in photography and get their feedback on my images. The instructor's definitely not a gear snob (there's usually at least one person in the class that's shooting film), which is kind of refreshing; the only time brand-specific stuff comes up is if one of the students has a question about their camera, and we usually all dive in to figure it out, regardless of brand.

--Steve
12-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
Forum Member

In spite of my experience, I'd suggest you jump into a course with full enthusiasm.

Frequent discussion of your, & other student's, photos is invaluable. While there are not really any 'right' or 'wrong' images, it comes down to being able to justify what (& more importantly) why you've done what you did.

The diploma course I started part-time (one day a week), was great fun. There was much discussion of our photos, & exposure to a variety of techniques. Some new to me, some a 'refresher'. Mine was the only Pentax camera in the college, with ~2/3 Canon, ~1/3 Nikon. It would be a good idea to know your own camera's settings, since the instructors are probably briefed on just the two larger systems.

Now, you're likely wondering about my reservation, above. In the second year, I ended up with an almost entirely different group, which was not nearly as much fun. We then had one senior instructor repeatedly 'putting down' Nikon, while boosting Canon. I thought this was bad form: essentially any current camera is 'good enough' nowadays. Anyway, all this seriously put me off, & that was that. [Was I being too sensitive? Maybe. But that's just me.]
12-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #15
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the instructor says no to a Pentax you already know he/she is not an educator!
Whether he/she is a good educator is something you don't know--and not from their bio/photo's
But the class setting and critique process is something you don't get really in any other setting.
However, you can investigate to be sure it is not too basic/is at an appropriate technical level--or it will be frustrating