Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Am i the only one that sells pics out of my car :-)

I got a call on Monday from a woman that used to work in a restaurant where i showed pictures at one time. She asked if i still sold pictures because she had my business card from 2 or 3 years ago and needed a present for her husband. So i had some prints at home. Tossed what i could in my station wagon and met her at a place midway between her house and mine. She gave me an order for 4 framed prints, one of which i could only describe to her - it was part of a 3 frame set that she wanted, plus one other unrelated picture. I delivered them to her today and she seemed happy with all of them.

I've carried pictures in my car lots of time, for delivery to a customer, for setting up shows, or for discussion at a club meeting, etc. When buying a car, i always consider how flexible it might be when carrying pictures of various sizes. Am i the only one??? Anyway, it was a nice "present" for me. Foot traffic past the gallery where i'm a member has been really poor and i don't think i will sell anything there this month.

12-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #2

I don't. Sometimes I do sell them from location to the press. Like two weeks ago. Sold one world wide and three to Dutch press. Always nice if you can sell anything. No matter what.
12-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
I don't. Sometimes I do sell them from location to the press. Like two weeks ago. Sold one world wide and three to Dutch press. Always nice if you can sell anything. No matter what.
Yep - it is a good feeling - like winning a prize :-) I was lucky since she was trying to decorate a wall.
12-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Well done, selling images is always good news, no matter how you do it.

12-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nope. Can't say I have. I have sold a lot of other stuff that way though. People do buy my jewelry and that right off me sometimes. They see it on me and they want it. I'm walking ad that way for my craft work. I really should try taking some photos to craft and art shows I suppose. I'm already there with my jewelry and my bags. Why not bring a few prints too?
12-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Nope. Can't say I have. I have sold a lot of other stuff that way though. People do buy my jewelry and that right off me sometimes. They see it on me and they want it. I'm walking ad that way for my craft work. I really should try taking some photos to craft and art shows I suppose. I'm already there with my jewelry and my bags. Why not bring a few prints too?
So are you saying that if i "wear" my pictures, I could sell them better

Seriously - I think you should show a few pictures with your jewelry - i find that small pictures sell easier because they don't take up much room for travel or in the home. I've thought of printing a picture on a tee shirt, and i suppose if someone wanted to buy that i could just take it off and sell it to them Also custom pics look good on coffee cups, etc.

I've got to do a craft fair or two this year - just accumulating too many prints without homes :-)

Have a great New Year!
12-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
So are you saying that if i "wear" my pictures, I could sell them better

Seriously - I think you should show a few pictures with your jewelry - i find that small pictures sell easier because they don't take up much room for travel or in the home. I've thought of printing a picture on a tee shirt, and i suppose if someone wanted to buy that i could just take it off and sell it to them Also custom pics look good on coffee cups, etc.

I've got to do a craft fair or two this year - just accumulating too many prints without homes :-)

Have a great New Year!
Actually I really do wear my photography sometimes in a way. I have used some of my photos as centerpieces for necklaces and earrings and such, and yeah, people buy them, sometimes right off me. I like to use my own work for stuff like that. I actually can use a lot of stuff that's not mine for the type of work I do. Up and to a point it's even legal but there are various laws that cover derivative art and you do have to be careful about sticking to that or you might face a lawsuit. I can actually use things from magazines and such if it's used in such a way as to alter it. I can use part of a picture for instance, but not the whole thing. Not unless they license the use. I can use things that are out of copyright like Victorian images, vintage family photos, holy cards, post cards, valentines, and stuff like that, and I do, but again I'm very careful about the what and how.

I like using my own images because I don't have to worry about any of that. If I stage it, take the photo, it's mine to use as I want. No legal headaches. I really like making pseudo Victorian steampunk stuff, dark gothic stuff, with lockets and such. I've used a lot of my nature images and images of goth an mechanical things in those. I'm always pressing flowers to put in them, along with old images. A lot of the stuff I make it's almost like the old Victorian mourning jewelry. I like working with bones, skeletons, angels, grim reapers symbols or images there of. I'm taking a silver working class soon. I want to learn proper metal working, at least in bronze, silver, and copper. I got to thinking about this and I'm thinking I could make some steampunk and goth frames for my photos. I think they'd sell quite well that way. Not just as prints, but as artworks, more or less...

12-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got it in my head to make a composite picture of an odd looking tree i had combined with some owl pics. The owl pics i didn't have, and realizing that getting owl pictures is a big investment in time and money, i bought the right to use a few owl pics via Canphotostock.com. The composite image came out great - but i have yet to find anyone who wants to buy it But i learned a lot and its all fun!!!