Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Question about memory cards

I notice that the Micro SD memory cards are pretty low priced compared to the full-sized ones. Example: TFD Class 10 64Gb for $10.33 and free shipping. Has anyone tried using these? How is the performance? Are there any other issues to be concerned about? The prices appear quite attractive.

12-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

Hi ivanvernon,

I just tried a Sandisk Class 10 16GB microSD card (with adapter) in my K3 and found it would not read or format the card. I already had it formatted as FAT-32, just like my full side SD cards. Not sure what the issue is. Hope someone else can chime in!
12-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
powasky's experience is not unique. I have several that I have in my Nooks and old cell phones. Tried them with adapters in my cameras and they were uniformly either unresponsive or had trouble when it came time to reading the files. The takeaway is to avoid micro cards for use in Pentax cameras. There have been some terrific deals on genuine SD cards of late. I posted several in the Pentax Price Watch - PentaxForums.com forum.
12-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I notice that the Micro SD memory cards are pretty low priced compared to the full-sized ones. Example: TFD Class 10 64Gb for $10.33 and free shipping. Has anyone tried using these? How is the performance? Are there any other issues to be concerned about? The prices appear quite attractive.
Class 10 is not the whole story in regard to speed. It should be considered a minimum standard. There have been several threads on here about the best cards to take full advantage of the K-3's high speed mode. Here is a link to a test (yes, on a Nikon, but results could be expected to be in the same relative order): Nikon D7100 SD Card Speed Tests - Fastest memory cards for D7100 - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

12-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Class 10 is not the whole story in regard to speed. It should be considered a minimum standard. There have been several threads on here about the best cards to take full advantage of the K-3's high speed mode. Here is a link to a test (yes, on a Nikon, but results could be expected to be in the same relative order): Nikon D7100 SD Card Speed Tests - Fastest memory cards for D7100 - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

Interesting, hadn't seen the Samsung version before. Here is the review that I used in making my selections this season (these guys used a Canon, but they still seem to have done a competent job in the assessment of the SD cards):
The Best SD Card | The Wirecutter
12-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The reason why those TFD cards are cheaper and often performs poorly is because there are many fake TFD cards out there than regular SD cards. TFD cards are mainly used for smaller devices such as car-cameras, cellphones etc. Extra measures should be taken when purchasing those cards. If there is a problem with the card, chances are it is a fake one. If both SD and micro SD cards are in the same specs, performance should be the same. Nowadays, pretty much everything is class 10, as it is the minimum standard, anything less than class 10 is likely old stock. In addition to class 10, look for ones with UHS-1 standard and speed rating, for example, 400x or 600x etc.
12-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
MSL
Veteran Member

Has anyone pulled together a table of the maximum useful speed for each Pentax model? I know the data has been posted here in various threads, but it may not be the easiest thing to search for.
12-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Has anyone pulled together a table of the maximum useful speed for each Pentax model? I know the data has been posted here in various threads, but it may not be the easiest thing to search for.
Don't think so, would be useful.

12-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
MSL
Veteran Member

Poking about found at least one thread with a partial discussion for the K5.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/190248-whats-fastest-sdhc-...advantage.html

and I should probably flag this video too from the tutorials section.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/tutorial-videos/the-benefits-of-fast-sd-cards.html
12-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poking about found at least one thread with a partial discussion for the K5.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/190248-whats-fastest-sdhc-...advantage.html

and I should probably flag this video too from the tutorials section.

The Benefits of Fast SD Cards - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
Just remember that that thread is 2.5 years old which is an age in tech. The articles linked to earlier are current:
The Best SD Card | The Wirecutter
Nikon D7100 SD Card Speed Tests - Fastest memory cards for D7100 - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards
12-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
MSL
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just remember that that thread is 2.5 years old which is an age in tech. The articles linked to earlier are current:
Fair point, but whatever the limit was for the K5 2.5 years ago, that is still the limit for what the camera can handle:
12-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fair point, but whatever the limit was for the K5 2.5 years ago, that is still the limit for what the camera can handle:
True, but we now have the K-3, K-50, Disco, and others. My perspective is that unless its incompatible, go for the fastest vs. cost you can find. So far that has stood me in good stead when I have upgraded cameras.