Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What to do with old mini-dv camera?

I have old mini-dv DCR PC100. Since my mobile takes better video, not sure what can I do with it?

Any creative suggestions?

12-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I donated mine to Media Services at my University, people still bring old mini DV tapes and ask to digitise them.
12-26-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This is one of those situations where a decent little performer has simply been superseded by technology (though I suspect a lot of modern videographers would love the Sony's lack of Jello effect shutter).
Not so much this model but some others have analog in, so if you have a lot of VHS tapes that you want digitised then it may be sensible to keep a camcorder and use it as an analog to digital converter.
This assumes you have a computer that will accept a firewire (i-link) terminal

Last edited by Johndav; 12-26-2014 at 02:42 AM.
12-26-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
This is one of those situations where a decent little performer has simply been superseded by technology (though I suspect a lot of modern videographers would love the Sony's lack of Jello effect shutter).
Not so much this model but some others have analog in, so if you have a lot of VHS tapes that you want digitised then it may be sensible to keep this camcorder and use it as an analog to digital converter.
This assumes you have a computer that will accept a firewire (i-link) terminal
VHS and mini DV are very different formats, tapes are different size and shape.
Do not necessary will need computer, there is a range of HDD recorders / DVD burners with a firewire input.

12-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
VHS and mini DV are very different formats, tapes are different size and shape.
Do not necessary will need computer, there is a range of HDD recorders / DVD burners with a firewire input.
I'm not suggesting trying to fit a VHS tape into a Mini DV camcorder but merely using it as a converter fitted between a VHS deck and a computer; I have done this with my Sony dc-hc1000.
I now have a couple of Panasonic DVD recorders so I just connect VCRs directly to these. DVD recorders are starting to get a bit thinner on the ground as people adopt HDD and solid state recorders more.
12-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I donated mine to a friend's children. They loved having a "proper" camera with proper zoom etc. and editing the results. I guess their phones will catch up in time but they're happy at the moment.
12-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
I'm not suggesting trying to fit a VHS tape into a Mini DV camcorder but merely using it as a converter fitted between a VHS deck and a computer; I have done this with my Sony dc-hc1000.
I now have a couple of Panasonic DVD recorders so I just connect VCRs directly to these. DVD recorders are starting to get a bit thinner on the ground as people adopt HDD and solid state recorders more.
If you have old VHS video and want to digitize them, then the DV camcorders offer a way to digitize your videos although the process is slow. The problem is, these old formats are disappearing. While one might argue that they are now worthless, the video we shot on them isn't. Our pictures and video are important family memories and it makes me somewhat angry that the major manufacturers are so quick to make gear obsolete every time technology changes. For this reason, I hesitate to give away or trash my old Canon Mini DV camcorder as long as it still works. This is also why I print a lot of my pictures.

12-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you have no uses as above suck it up and Chuck it out. :-)