Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Buying a TLR Rolleiflex - is it nuts?

Lately, I've been thinking I need a TLR. I looked at some old photos taken with a Yashica TLR and remembered how nice it was shooting tri-x on that big ol negative.

So, I thought I would just mosey on over to eBay and pick up a Yashica TLR cheap! Unfortunately, they aren't exactly free. A Yashica Mat 124 goes for at least $100+ shipping. I did naively think an old Yashica TLR would go for dirt cheap, but sadly it looks like the hipsters have discovered them.

Then, the rationalizing kicks in - why not get a Rolleiflex of some sort? The devil says, you know you really want one. So shiny! and retro! the chicks dig retro! not to mention German!

I never thought I would be interested in shooting film again, much less a medium format TLR. I might even buy some reels and a tank and develop it myself. Weird.

I've sort of narrowed it down to a Rolleicord V/Va/Vb, a Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS, or if I stretch, a Rolleiflex 3.5F. For the right price I might still do a Yashica or even a Minolta autocord.

On eBay it seems like quite the crap shoot to find one in functioning condition. Short of making sure it can be returned, with many sellers saying they aren't experts, and many items being "untested", seems risky to buy without being able to send it back.

Am I nuts? Anyone else afflicted with this disease? Is it as risky as it appears to buy an ancient TLR on eBay?

12-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

I am old, have been shooting for 45 years, and have used at one time or another a huge multitude of cameras. I want to be buried with my rollei. Nothing compares. Near perfect design and build. Go for it.
12-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It could be worse. I went through a phase of old camera fancy about 5 years ago, and ended up with a Graflex (among other things). A Rollei was on my list.
12-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy. Nothing like the solid feel of an old camera in your hands.

12-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Rolleis are nice, but there are other options. The Mamiya 220 and 330 TLR's are excellent professional cameras at what I would guess ...at reasonable prices. The Mamiya is also the only TLR out there that has interchangeable lenses.

I have a 220 Pro F, with a 55mm wide angle, 80 mm normal and 180mm telephoto...all Mamiya-Sekor.

These are great cameras, generally used by pros in the studio and wedding business during the film days.

BTW, I also have a Yashica-mat 124G....nice TLR...but not in the same league as the Mamiya TLR.
12-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

No, you're not nuts for considering a TLR. You're only crazy if you insist on a Rollei rather than a Yashica or Mamiya. And even then, you're not really crazy, just picky. Rolleis are great cameras. You're the only one who can decide whether the difference in price is worth it. Kinda like buying a Japanese cruiser vs a Harley, ya know?
12-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for it. I hate all TLRs though. Ok, so I have a 6x7, 645, and a 645n. Just don't like TLRs.

12-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
I considered the Mamiya C TLRs, but they look rather heavy. I used a Yashica a bit in High School and have a fondness for them, but I remember the photo teacher having the Rolleiflexes locked up and only the well-behaved students had access to those. I wasn't tame enough to be trusted with one I guess.

The Yashica did a nice job, no doubt. Being an old geezer now, I figured I might as well do a Rollei. No less tame, but it will be my money this time.

After neglecting film for decades, it seems odd to be considering using it again. Even as short as a few years ago, I sold my spotmatic and now, I've bought another one right back.

What are my odds in getting a functional TLR from ebay? I see so many listing that say "untested" and that gives me the willies.
12-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I can't recall what to look for, but when buying a Rollei...some lenses are better than others...and of course the lenses are fixed to the body.

I didn't find my Mamiya 220 Pro F heavy.

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-30-2014 at 07:49 PM.
12-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to take thid thread in a diffetent tangent. But my 1955 Model F Xenotar Rolleiflex has developed s light leak and needs serviced. Anybody have sny ides who might do servicing of these old machines on North America. Apparently the well-known individual in NYC has passed on. Love my Rollei.

Jack
12-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have had a Rolleichord Vb for 3 decades, shortly after I got it I had the opportunity to buy a C220, passed it along to a friend with no regrets as there was a big weight difference. I have used a Rolleichord T and did not like it as much as the Rolleichord. My bill has a Yashikiflex and that is also a nice TLG
12-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Embrace your insanity and go for it.

I now own the Tessar 75/3.5 MX-EVS and the Xenotar 80/3.5 E2. I also own a Yashica Mat 124G. Nice camera but it does not compare to either Rollei.

My advice is to buy whichever is in the best condition. They are all very good cameras so condition will mean more. Whatever you buy send it on to Harry Fleenor to look it over for you. He also sells a small pdf e-book that provides great information to help you with your choice. Finding Your Rolleiflex

My personal favorite is my Rolleiflex K4B 75/3.5 MX-EVS. It is compact, light and very easy to handle. It doesn't have a lot of extra bells and whistles but it is a very smooth camera to operate.
12-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another happy Y-Mat 124G user here and it's plenty enough for me for the limited use it sees. I did a lot of research and really wanted a Minolta Autocord as my entry TLR but couldn't land the right deal and ended up with a score on a Y-Mat that cost me about $150 including the CLA. I think it's wisdom to not shell out big bucks until you know it's something that is going to see the corresponding use. Then again, if you have the big bucks and take care of the camera, you'll get your money back if you want easily from what I've seen. I just am not good at taking (great) care of my gear (to retain it's maximum resale ability) and don't shoot film enough to justify the next level.
12-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No - it's not nuts. I owned a Rolleiflex 2.8GX for a few years, finally selling it and using the money for something else. I could kick myself. The camera was a jewel - incredibly well-built and a pleasure to shoot with. They've only gone up in value since I sold mine.
12-31-2014, 01:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would really love the opportunity to do some waist-level shooting! So much better for anonymous urban photography. A TLR sounds like lots of fun.

Not sure if the flip-out screen on the 645Z makes waist-level composing practical. I'd love do see a DSLR that could do it. I sometimes shoot my K3 that way just guessing at the shot, and using the level indicator on the top LCD panel. I've got some great shots that way.