Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
Unregistered User

Camera shake - Long exposure

Hi all! Happy new year!

I was doing some long exposures the other night and as always I use MUP or the 2s delay to take my images. One thing I started to wonder about is why does the initial shake, ever so small, have a so huge impact on the image if I take a 30s exposure? ShouldŽnt it just fade the longer the shutter speed I use? A mirror slap in the beginning ruins the shot...

What am I missing?

01-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
why does the initial shake, ever so small, have a so huge impact on the image if I take a 30s exposure? ShouldŽnt it just fade the longer the shutter speed I use? A mirror slap in the beginning ruins the shot...
For an exposure over 1" or so, mirror slap isn't much of a factor, if the camera is on a stable platform. I did some testing with high-magnification macro, where camera shake is a big problem, and confirmed this. For a 30" exposure it shouldn't matter at all. If you're finding camera shake at such long exposures you must have ongoing vibration from wind, or your own movements shifting the tripod if you are on something unstable, or just a plain unstable tripod and/or camera attachment.
01-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Unregistered User

As you are saying, it should not have a huge impact. But it does... Or?

I am doing night sky images and if I do not use the 2s or MUP I will have stars that has a nice curve to them, like a comma sign. Or may it be that the SR, that turns of when using MUP or 2s, does a number... Have not thought about turning it of. Will check this out next time...

My tripod is sturdy and no wind or other vibrations. I am countious about the problem making sure it is stable...
01-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best way to determine your lag time for zero vibration is to put the camera into "2-press" mode in MUP + remote release mode and point it at a bright star. Then first shutter press of remote release locks mirror up and second press opens shutter. Vary the time between presses until you find one that has no visible vibration signature. You can use whatever actual shutter time you want for the exposure but using manual and a repeatable exposure will remove a varying exposure time as a variable. Every tripod/camera load will vary in its inherent stability and vibration dampening properties and this will also depend on environmental variables such as wind, earthquake activity, etc.

Jack

01-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I am doing night sky images and if I do not use the 2s or MUP I will have stars that has a nice curve to them, like a comma sign. Or may it be that the SR, that turns of when using MUP or 2s, does a number... Have not thought about turning it of. Will check this out next time...
I would think SR to be the culprit here. Would definitely recommend turning it off when using a tripod.
01-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I would think SR to be the culprit here. Would definitely recommend turning it off when using a tripod.
Ah, right, I was thinking MLU therefore no SR, but of course OP is asking about the results without MLU. I've ruined some video (on the Q) by forgetting to disable SR -- it makes random jumps.
01-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My tripod is sturdy and no wind or other vibrations. I am countious about the problem making sure it is stable...
Are you using a cable or infrared remote? The remote turns off the SR as well, if I recall correctly.
Anyhow, some stars are pretty bright so I guess they will make a "mark" on the sensor even if the shake is short. Perhaps you could try to give the camera a bump with your hand during a long exposure with MUP and I guess you will see similar marks as well.

01-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Unregistered User

I use both. With IR the SR turns off automatically. I am waiting for the skies to clear and the moon to turn off and I will go out there again doing some test shots with these ideas in mind.
01-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It does and doesn't depending on the subject. If you are shooting something that is bright enough to have light trails, such as stars, headlights or street lamps, the mirror slap will be noticable. If you are shooting something that is static like landscape or a bullding, it will make no difference at all. It all comes down to the strength of the brightest point of light hitting the sensor. I've taken a lot of both and don't use the 2S delay unless I have to. The basic formula for either circumstance is to use a sturdy tripod, turn SR off, use a cable release or remote shutter device, cover the viewfinder and block bright sources of light outside the shot frame but visible to the lens to prevent ghost flares.

Last edited by jawsy; 01-03-2015 at 04:04 AM.
01-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
If you are shooting something that is bright enough to have light trails, such as stars, headlights or street lamps, the mirror slap will be noticable.
Ah, of course that must be it. I forget that stars are point sources and behave very differently than most other light sources in photographs.