Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
My weather sealed K-5

Although I know that my K-5 is weather sealed, I actually never took it out in challenging weather conditions. Until some days ago! It rained, snowed and I took the camera out in the streets. At first it felt a bit uncomfortable. It just isn't right to see the camera covered in water drops. I was happy to conclude that the weather sealing really works. A big thumb up for Pentax!!

Curious to the pictures? Then check here.

Last edited by vinni; 01-01-2015 at 02:40 PM.
01-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate to burst your bubble, but unless you pair your camera with a weather sealed lens, it's not fully weather sealed. You could not only damage your beautiful 20mm lens, but also the camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Glad things worked out, but Adam is perfectly right! A WR lens has a weather sealed body, and also mount, so water cannot drip into the camera from that direction!
Great photo, though
01-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I hate to burst your bubble, but unless you pair your camera with a weather sealed lens, it's not fully weather sealed. You could not only damage your beautiful 20mm lens, but also the camera
I guess you're right there. Using this lens didn't feel super comfortable. I should invest in a weather sealed lens. Nevertheless, the 20mm held out great.

01-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Thank you for sharing your experience.

While I agree with most earlier posts, the notion of WR is a recent marketing tool, not always applicable to older lenses. A number of older lenses were built like tanks, extremely resistant, and with an outstanding track record among Pentaxians and Pentax community. For these older lenses, their track record can be found in numbers of users' reviews.

My VL58mm f1.5 is one like that, and I have had quite an outstanding track record of foul-weather photography with the VL58mm.. Another is the DA18-250mm for which I read some incredible stories in this Forum. (I own also a DA18-250mm and I had some superb experience with that lens.)

In any case, let me remind everyone that WR is not waterproof or rainproof. It only means weather resistant. Your system (camera + lens) does require some TLC (tender, love and care) in usage. Even if you have a modern WR advertised system.