Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax vs Nikon, Canon, Sony etc.

For those of you who were wondering about how Pentax DSLR's stand against the Industry, I dug up this article and found the results surprising. This article is dated 2012 so things might have changed.

2012 Digital Single-Lens Reflex Camera Online Buyer Report | J.D. Power Autos

Last edited by hjoseph7; 01-04-2015 at 05:25 PM.
01-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Pentax ranks highest in online buyer satisfaction with a score of 899 (on a 1,000-point scale), followed closely by Nikon (891) and Canon (888). Pentax performs particularly well in durability and reliability; variety of features; ease of operation; and shutter speed/lag time, while Canon performs well in the picture quality factor.
Why on earth are they not marketing the heck out of this???? I realize it is a little dated but still.............
01-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sony 10 points below the industry average?
01-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It would be nice to see rankings from 2013 or 14, still this is good news.

01-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It's pretty meaningless without knowing more about the reviewers. Perhaps they are first-time buyers who are just impressed overall with their first-time camera. Perhaps they shoot jpg in which case the better Canon colors/image is also somewhat suspect. The durability issue - that takes time for trends to show up.

Etc.
01-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's pretty meaningless without knowing more about the reviewers. Perhaps they are first-time buyers who are just impressed overall with their first-time camera. Perhaps they shoot jpg in which case the better Canon colors/image is also somewhat suspect. The durability issue - that takes time for trends to show up.

Etc.
I hear you but the issue is different than empirical rigor - we're talking about Marketing. This is one of those pieces of information that is Manna from Heaven if you are awake and took Marketing 101. Apparently no one at Pentax USA took Marketing 101 (or they're all asleep).
01-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's pretty meaningless without knowing more about the reviewers. Perhaps they are first-time buyers who are just impressed overall with their first-time camera.
I'd actually go with the opposite for Canon: first-time buyers expecting that this fancy camera will automatically result in totally awesome photos, only to learn it doesn't work that way. I'm picking on Canon especially here because they definitely market to this sort of user. Nikon does as well, to an extent, but it's clear they project a more professionally-oriented image than Canon. In particular, Nikon's point-and-shoot business doesn't seem to be designed to be a stepping stone to their more expensive products; it feels like an afterthought. Canon definitely does better marketing of the P&S market.

01-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised. My three DSLR's...K10D, Km, K-5...have all met my expectations.
01-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I hear you but the issue is different than empirical rigor - we're talking about Marketing. This is one of those pieces of information that is Manna from Heaven if you are awake and took Marketing 101. Apparently no one at Pentax USA took Marketing 101 (or they're all asleep).
Remember K-S1 email advertisement with the 3-min. photoshop of Amazon woman holding a miniature K-S1? 'Nuff said.
01-05-2015, 03:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Remember K-S1 email advertisement with the 3-min. photoshop of Amazon woman holding a miniature K-S1? 'Nuff said.
No, sorry.
01-05-2015, 04:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one of those pieces of information that is Manna from Heaven if you are awake and took Marketing 101.
Pentax hires un-medicated narcoleptics in the marketing department apparently..
01-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No, sorry.
It was an old advertising photo of a model holding a small Pentax point-and-shoot camera, with the point-and-shoot Photoshopped out and the K-S1, shrunk to match the point-and-shoot, pasted in place. I'll not link it here because just looks ludicrous, and RAIC apologized for it. But it demonstrates that RIAC's marketing director hasn't got a clue about what is important to photographers.
01-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
For those of you who were wondering about how Pentax DSLR's stand against the Industry, I dug up this article and found the results surprising. This article is dated 2012 so things might have changed.

2012 Digital Single-Lens Reflex Camera Online Buyer Report | J.D. Power Autos
wow, that is a good piece of data.
...and something loyal Pentax users probably already know.
01-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
But it demonstrates that RIAC's marketing director hasn't got a clue about what is important to photographers.
More likely it demonstrates that RIAC's Marketing Director spends all his time in the field supporting the (very) few direct Rep's and contract Manufacturer's Rep's - and therefore has little to no opportunity to review and/or approve indirect marketing arrangements such as images Photoshopped for emails, Webstore Specials, the overall web presence, Customer Service contractors and the like.

There just isn't time for one person to do everything (and I'm not being facetious - I really mean that).
01-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Marketing Director spends all his time in the field supporting the (very) few direct Rep's and contract Manufacturer's Rep's
Marketing Director should not be supervising the reps. That should be Sales Director. Two different jobs, and yes +100, not enough time for a single person to do both.