Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 12:42 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One mans opinion - Canon vs Nikon vs Pentax

https://fstoplounge.com/2015/01/the-24-megapixels-the-world-forgot/

01-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What an intelligent and balanced article!
01-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Good article!
01-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think he was wrong about K-3 vs. D750 viewfinder specs, an apples to oranges thing. The D750 minimum shutter speed looks bad on paper but I just looked - that's 0.4% of my shots and mostly a solar eclipse. What bothers me is that it's maybe saving a nickel, which makes me wonder where else they saved money.

My sister asked me about the Canon 7D Mk. II. I have read some remarkable forum comments about it - DXO hates Canon, dynamic range doesn't matter, no one ever needs to pull up shadows, you can always bracket for better shadows, etc. I think they would love my K-7. Once you skip the fanboy stuff, the camera does have some interesting features and should be awesome for certain tasks. It can even analyze fluorescent light flicker and shoot when the light is brightest. I am not sure I am smart enough to configure the autofocus.

I could see reasons to buy the Canon or Nikon.

01-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love my K3, but the D750 is a really nice camera. Biggest advantage for the Pentax is the image stabilization in body.

My wife shot a wedding recently with a second shooter who was using a Canon full frame (5D MK II) and using primes -- 50 f1.4, 85mm f1.8 (my wife was shooting with K5 II and K3 bodies). The light wasn't great and my wife could clearly see the lack of stabilization in her second's shots. At the same time, both cameras were very capable and produced nice images when everything clicked. There wasn't a huge difference in high iso capability for the two cameras, but neither one was shooting over iso 6400.

Too much focus is on camera bodies and more needs to be on glass. There is just no substitute for nice glass and if you blow your whole budget on a full frame body or, even a upper end APS-C camera and end up shooting with a kit lens, then it is wasted, in my opinion.
01-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It can even analyze fluorescent light flicker and shoot when the light is brightest.
This could be great for shooting in gyms, if it works well! Does it allow for getting a (roughly) proper white balance as well?
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I love my K3, but the D750 is a really nice camera. Biggest advantage for the Pentax is the image stabilization in body.

My wife shot a wedding recently with a second shooter who was using a Canon full frame (5D MK II) and using primes -- 50 f1.4, 85mm f1.8 (my wife was shooting with K5 II and K3 bodies). The light wasn't great and my wife could clearly see the lack of stabilization in her second's shots. At the same time, both cameras were very capable and produced nice images when everything clicked.
Very interesting. I agree that the lack of in-body SR in the other cameras is a big drawback. Don't ask me why Canon and Nikon think you suddenly don't need IS/VR when the lens is a prime! You think you're going to get advantages from using the faster primes - but then you lose much/most of the advantage when you don't have IS/VR! It can actually 'force' you back into using zooms.

This is the main problem that I had with the Nikon 1 S1 I just returned a couple of days ago. I'd been taking the SR for granted. Suddenly only one of the four lenses I was interested in for this camera had VR! I tried two of the lenses - the one with VR was pretty good, but the other was mostly useless for my shooting - rather frustrating! I've come to take SR for granted - but I didn't realize this until I got the Nikon 1.

I had to experience this for myself to understand what a huge deficiency this is in Canon and Nikon systems. But it's very real.

Last edited by DSims; 01-08-2015 at 03:18 PM.
01-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I take away from this is that there is no bad DSLR.

Features and function may vary and some perform better at specific tasks but any one of these can take a great photo.....

........in the right hands

01-08-2015, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Good article, but off to a bad start:
QuoteQuote:
seriously good camera and one you should definitely pick up if your into landscape, sports or action photography.
You are or you're not your!
01-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

You are "Na Horuk" and I am "mee", nice to meet you.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 07:11 PM ----------

btw I feel the article doesn't have much value.. it is just the author's opinion based on dxo marks and some assumptions. I find it would have had much more value had the author actually had each camera in hand with which to photograph. DxO charts only do so much.. handling the camera and taking it out for a photoshoot is a different situation than looking at specifications on 'paper' and then picking the 'winners.'

In other news, there is an article on dpreview today that essentially states they feel (or at least one person writing for them) that Full Frame is not always the needed part of the path when upgrading camera bodies. That APS-C actually has some advantages.. essentially opposite of what is heard here at the PF in large part. I found it funny and hope he never visits the PF as he will probably run away screaming by all the malarkey on the site over digital FF.
01-08-2015, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

*Tangent Alert*
One of my pet peeves, that and "then" when "than" should be used.
01-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do the 3 cameras stack up when it comes to weather resistance?
01-08-2015, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You are "Na Horuk" and I am "mee", nice to meet you.

---------- Post added 01-08-15 at 07:11 PM ----------

btw I feel the article doesn't have much value.. it is just the author's opinion based on dxo marks and some assumptions. I find it would have had much more value had the author actually had each camera in hand with which to photograph. DxO charts only do so much.. handling the camera and taking it out for a photoshoot is a different situation than looking at specifications on 'paper' and then picking the 'winners.'

In other news, there is an article on dpreview today that essentially states they feel (or at least one person writing for them) that Full Frame is not always the needed part of the path when upgrading camera bodies. That APS-C actually has some advantages.. essentially opposite of what is heard here at the PF in large part. I found it funny and hope he never visits the PF as he will probably run away screaming by all the malarkey on the site over digital FF.
People want what they can't have. When FF is here there will be something else; there is always something else.
01-08-2015, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #13
mee
Veteran Member

Yep! Digital FF is the Pentax version of the Yiddish Shiksa

Want it until you have it then you no longer want it like you did before you got it.
01-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
This could be great for shooting in gyms, if it works well! Does it allow for getting a (roughly) proper white balance as well?
I don't know. It seems like it could/should.

To answer another question, the Canon and Nikon both have some kind of weather sealing, but I don't know what the lens situation is. And they need to send their own guy to Afghanistan to prove it's better than Pentax.
01-08-2015, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I feel the article doesn't have much value.. it is just the author's opinion based on dxo marks and some assumptions.
Thanks for some coherence and sanity here. With no negativity intended to the OP, this is one of the most fake camera gear evaluations or review or dumbass opinions I've read since Ken Rockwell dissed the *DS. Anyone who makes sports shooting pronouncements based on DxO Marks sports scores hasn't a clue about what matters in shooting sports, much less showing real shots for cred. Another Internet expert. Yahoo.

M