Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
"The purpose of the legislation is to stop individuals in authority from abusing their authority. "I don't think you should take pictures of that so give me your memory card" would not be discretionary. The legislation would affirm that photography, per se, is not a crime. (On Federal property, anyway.)"

Thank you Parallax. That was the point of starting this thread.

01-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
So PRIVATE photographers are the same as COMMERCIAL photographers?

I am an amateur photographer. I am also a tourist. Are you saying that I would be charged to take photos? If that is not true, than this is just self promotion by a congressman, rallying support on falsehoods.
I believe the permits for PROFESSIONAL photographers in national parks is a different issue than the Ansel Adams Act.
Regarding the national parks, the permits are for pros only. Your average visitor will still be allowed to photograph the park without the need for a permit.
01-11-2015, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I believe the permits for PROFESSIONAL photographers in national parks is a different issue than the Ansel Adams Act.
Regarding the national parks, the permits are for pros only. Your average visitor will still be allowed to photograph the park without the need for a permit.
Gomez,
Parallax was making the point the he owns the parks, therefore he should not be charged.

I was trying to get him to separate the photographic uses into commercial and private. He is conflating the two. They are separate issues. The AA bill as I understand it conflates the two also.

I read the bill as a back door mechanism to allow free, unfettered commercial use of the parks. As a private citizen, I do not wish to have MY parks further clogged by commercial uses while I try to enjoy nature. With the set aside of Yosemite in the 1860s and the NP system about 40 years later, the intent was clear by the presidents and legislators, to set aside the land for the enjoyment of the public, saving it from commercial use!
01-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Gomez,
Parallax was making the point the he owns the parks, therefore he should not be charged.

I was trying to get him to separate the photographic uses into commercial and private. He is conflating the two. They are separate issues. The AA bill as I understand it conflates the two also.

I read the bill as a back door mechanism to allow free, unfettered commercial use of the parks. As a private citizen, I do not wish to have MY parks further clogged by commercial uses while I try to enjoy nature. With the set aside of Yosemite in the 1860s and the NP system about 40 years later, the intent was clear by the presidents and legislators, to set aside the land for the enjoyment of the public, saving it from commercial use!
Thanks for the clarification.

01-12-2015, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Take the darn picture and stand up for you darn rights. It's that simple and no photographer needs a congressperson's permission to exercise their constitutional rights. It's high time for all this weak kneed nonsense to stop; for photographers to stand up for themselves and quit giving away their freedom (and their gear) to the every bully in a uniform that comes along trying to abuse their position in uniform.

Get arrested? That's what the ACLU is for and I can tell you from personal experience that they do not **** around. The ACLU is not to be trifled with.

I'm just sayin'.
01-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a site that is interpreting the proposed law with a much darker intent - actually limiting photography and circumventing the First Amendment. It's a case of being careful of what you ask for, or a wolf in sheep's clothing....
01-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a typical news article on the recent US Forest Service proposal on commercial photography:

Feds' proposal to charge, limit access to wilderness areas draws fire - The Denver Post

The official proposal I think:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/09/04/2014-21093/proposed-dire...administration

The Ansel Adams Act would conflict with this. Here's a quote from section 3:

QuoteQuote:
(c) Prohibition on Fees, Permits, or Insurance.--No Federal
Government agency shall require fees, permits or insurance as a
condition to take still or moving images on Federal lands, National
Parks and Forests, and public spaces, whether for private, media, or
commercial use.
I have to agree with lmd91343 - the Act sounds nice when it keeps a rentacop from demanding your camera for shooting a tree or rock. But when a crew of 18 shows up with a helicopter to produce a commercial, that's not nice.