Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Where to go in Maui

Hello! I will be going to Maui at the end of January and the first week of February. I'll be there for 11 days total. Can you recommend scenic places to photograph? Thank you for your suggestions.

01-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The big stuff is Haleakala at sunrise, Iao Valley, the road to Hana and whales. I think there is kite surfing activity near Paia at this time. I think the big wave surfing (Jaws) is too far offshore from Mau'i to photograph, but not 100% sure on that. Really anywhere should provide great shots - the main problem is that although the island isn't that large, you can't quickly get from one place to another.

Weather is highly localized so you might see rain in the east, fog in the west hills and sun in Makena.

I would grab a local newspaper and see if there's a high school sporting event, local ethnic festival, parade, or similar event. Even a farmer's market.
01-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

You can also try driving around upper Kula Hwy & Kula Hwy, located on the west slope of Haleakala. There are some nice scenic views there.
If you go to Hana, you can continue around thru Kipahulu and Kaupo.
Charles Lindberg's grave is located at a church in Kipahulu and there's some beautiful scenery & historic churches in Kaupo.
There are also some historic locations in Lahaina town.
Paia town & Makawao town have some interesting buildings, shops, & restaurants.
You can also walk or drive around Wailuku town on your way to Iao Valley.
You can pick up some free tourist magazines at the airport or at places like Jack in the Box, or shopping malls. They contain maps & suggestions.
There's also a tourist TV channel, Channel 7, that you can watch when you have time.
11 days is a lot of time to take in the sights.
Enjoy your stay.
01-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave has most of it. In 11 days you can easily do the entire island. We found the North west coast very enjoyable and scenic