Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thoughts on Camera Recommendation

hey all,

I've got a friend who is looking into purchasing a DSLR, and is now at the point of Nikon D5300 vs. Pentax K-50.

What are some pluses and minuses for BOTH sides? I guess i'm looking more for the Nikon pluses and minuses, because i know the whole pentax durability/features/built for the photographer schmebang.

Thanks!

01-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lens access is one that you did not mention. K mount lenses, as you know, are a great resource for the K-50. I bought an APS-C Nikon for my sister (long story but her camera club bullied her into a Nikon) and a lens. Not knowing I purchased a lens that would not work on her Nikon (even though it is a Nikon lens) because I'm so used to Pentax APS-C working with every K mount lens in existence.
01-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've recently been asked this type of question a few times and my answers have sold some K-50 kits.
Besides the features you list I think stabilization in the body instead of the lens is a good selling point. That adds SR to vintage lenses which is a pretty nice feature!

Nikon is said to have superior flash capabilities like a higher flash sync speed, possibly better AF but I'm not sure about AF between these two particular models.
01-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
hey all,

I've got a friend who is looking into purchasing a DSLR, and is now at the point of Nikon D5300 vs. Pentax K-50.

What are some pluses and minuses for BOTH sides? I guess i'm looking more for the Nikon pluses and minuses, because i know the whole pentax durability/features/built for the photographer schmebang.

Thanks!
Why k50? Pentax K3 or K5iis are supposed to be very good and all better than nikon 5300 with similar or much lower price currently...

01-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Why k50? Pentax K3 or K5iis are supposed to be very good and all better than nikon 5300 with similar or much lower price currently..
Because if he saves money on the body, that is more money on the lenses. Of course, it's up to him. =) But thanks for the suggestion, I was planning on mentioning those models.

I love how quickly i'm getting responses! lol. But by "the whole schmebang", I meant that I think I've got the Pentax argument covered. Of course, I don't mind some more awesome suggestions, but try to avoid the simple solutions. Thanks again!
01-12-2015, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I generally tell people who ask, that image quality will be the same and it really comes down to which camera feels better. The camera you like will go with you more. There are lots of points that can be argued both ways, but really for someone getting their first camera they are not going to care about the minutia.

The old saying "hold a Pentax, buy a Pentax" still applies. If you can, get them to hold both and tell them to get the one that fits their hand better.
01-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Why k50? Pentax K3 or K5iis are supposed to be very good and all better than nikon 5300 with similar or much lower price currently...
For a novice the other issue is complexity. The K-5iis & K-3 are a wee bit more complex IMHO than the K-50.

01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The constant refrain - "how about the megapickles?"

I guess by now 16 seems to be lagging - although lagging would be only in marketing terms, in photography terms it's just dandy.
01-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

There is no need for a large amount of mega-pixels, unless you do wall-size prints or crop massively your shots.

I continue to use my 14 Mp K-7 and I am very happy with it. I compare often the K-7 shots with my K-3 shots (24 Mp) and I cannot see any difference because of the different mega-pixels. (The K-3 has a much better sensor than the K-7, but that is a different story.)
01-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess on the plus for Nikon is better access to third-party lenses. Pentax just isn't getting the love right now.
But having SR on every lens you use is a big positive for Pentax (and in-body helps keep lenses smaller and lighter).
Nikon has more tele options, but when the new Pentax lenses are released the gap should close some.
Nikon's AF is supposed to be better but with the K-3 the gap seems to be closing.
I've never owned a Nikon, but everything I hear is Pentax has better ergonomics and more-intuitive menus.
With Nikon you can go FF at some point if you want to, provided you bought FF glass
With Pentax you can go MF if you want to, but you'll definitely have to buy new glass
Pentax glass is generally cheaper, but I'm worrying that the gap might be closing
Pentax owners all seem to love their cameras. Not sure the same is true of Nikon.
01-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was asked by a friend recently if I knew how to make the flash less bright on a canon. "Easy" I said.

Not sure what model it was, but after twenty minutes I had to admit defeat.

Pentax are very good at making you feel stupid when you pick up someone else's camera. Damn you and your sensible buttons and intuitive menus! Damn you to hell!!!!
01-13-2015, 02:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
hey all,

Thanks!
If anything, consider the Nikon D7000 or K-50. Better yet, buy a K-5 II, or K-5IIs which is $500. 16 megapixels is better than 24 for most people, due to easier postprocessing.

You don't mention most important thing though - how much are you planning to spend on lenses? What kind of stuff are you planning to do?

If you are beginning and don't know - get an old used dSLR that's cheap with a couple basic lenses. Pentax k-30 is $200 and has a great sensor. Nikon D3200 would be ok too, but you have to buy new lenses.
You will sell them at the same price and make an informed decision yourself.
01-13-2015, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right now? K-S1.

Similar megapickles. Cute. Tiny. Great ergonomics (seriously, you have to try it!). Compatible with every K-mount lens ever built, and works better with most of them any other digital camera ever built.

Then of course there's the new, yet-to-be-officially-announced body, which also has a fully articulated LCD, built-in WiFi, blah blah blah.

Nikon? Pfffft!
01-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon has a worse reputation for lens quality with their affordable lenses for the apsc sensors. At least that is my impression. However some of their lenses are cheaper and they have more variety. They also carry a higher amount of brand recognition and people will never ask why you shoot it rather than Nikon/Canon.
01-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I generally tell people who ask, that image quality will be the same and it really comes down to which camera feels better. The camera you like will go with you more. There are lots of points that can be argued both ways, but really for someone getting their first camera they are not going to care about the minutia.

The old saying "hold a Pentax, buy a Pentax" still applies. If you can, get them to hold both and tell them to get the one that fits their hand better.
+1

Handle the camera. I've only handled a D60 for a short while when I was deciding on a dSLR and it was not to bad. People around me are using different Canon models (Rebels, 60D) and although I can take a photo with them, I can not get used to their handling.