Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

This is about camera theft. TX and CA have similar violent crime rates despite very different gun laws and practices, so don't assume a gun will immunize you from camera theft.

Does anyone really think the victim in the top link should have started shooting?

01-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never said shooting was the answer, they may have similar crime rates but it's different kinds of crime. More often than not the presence of a gun is enough sheer deterrent. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it is my motto.
01-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I never said shooting was the answer, they may have similar crime rates but it's different kinds of crime. More often than not the presence of a gun is enough sheer deterrent. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it is my motto.
It's very similar types of crime. I'm not in either State so don't care which state "wins", but it looks like your camera is equally safe in either CA or TX. www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0308.pdf shows robbery a little higher in one state while burglary and theft are lower. (Murder rates happen to be identical.)
01-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Check with your home insurance before vacationing. With mine anything stolen or damaged on vacation is covered but with a $1000 deductible. However, you can usually register your camera with house insurance for cheap $10yr for my a7 and there is no deductible if it is stolen/damaged. When I went to nyc it was very unburdening to know I could say to a mugger enjoy the camera. Also I took some risks with my Monopod and timer that before I would not.

01-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's very similar types of crime. I'm not in either State so don't care which state "wins", but it looks like your camera is equally safe in either CA or TX. www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0308.pdf shows robbery a little higher in one state while burglary and theft are lower. (Murder rates happen to be identical.)

And you're one of those that believes every statistic the government puts out?

I am not from Texas, I am not from California(I just live here) Ive spent time in Texas for business and for pleasure.
I am from Alabama. I can tell you from experience that I feel far safer in Alabama and Texas vs many places here in California.

Its honestly neither here nor there, I carry for a reason and it has served as a deterrent more than once. Gun control only keeps guns out of the hands of the honest people.
01-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More often than not the presence of a gun is enough sheer deterrent
But you have a license to conceal your firearm don't you? so whether you have a gun or not, is irrelevant.

I have a conceal carry license, try and rob me and I am almost certain I can change a mind or two.
Having weapon doesn't change the mind of another (especially if that mind has criminal intentions) - they will simply pick on someone else who can't fight back.

Gun control only keeps guns out of the hands of the honest people.
I have never met an honest person in my life, everyone wants something - how far they are prepared to get it is entirely dependent on the consequences.

"ACCOUNTABILITY, n.
The mother of caution."
-from the Devils dictionary

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-15-2015 at 11:28 PM.
01-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Texas is one of those awesome places that allow people to protect themselves rather than become victims.

There are alternative ways to view that, J2photos, but that's for you and your legislatures to decide, not me! :-)

Last edited by clackers; 01-15-2015 at 11:20 PM.
01-15-2015, 11:18 PM   #38
Pentaxian

And you're one of those that believes every statistic the government puts out?
And you're one of those conspiracy theorists who thinks the government makes things up whenever data doesn't fit your ideas?

TX has loose gun laws; it hasn't protected the state from crime. CA has restrictive gun laws; that hasn't protected the state either. Guns and gun laws are a distraction. Individual awareness and economic conditions are more important factors in camera theft.
01-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Nah, not a conspiracy theroist at all. Not much in the mood to continue a debate rooted with such liberal views so for now, I'll agree to disagree.