Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2015, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't have any advice. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this.

01-17-2015, 05:31 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The vibes we give off and the body language we employ can be read by others at the subconscious level.
If I feel self conscious then that flows through to the whole process. If I know at all levels that I have the right to be where I am doing what I'm doing that flow improves and there is less static from the environment.
Zen of photography, lol.
01-17-2015, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
The vibes we give off and the body language we employ can be read by others at the subconscious level.
If I feel self conscious then that flows through to the whole process. If I know at all levels that I have the right to be where I am doing what I'm doing that flow improves and there is less static from the environment.
Zen of photography, lol.
I agree with this. It's lousy you're being harassed, because that is just going to encourage you to be more self-conscious and overly wary when you have your camera out.

Could be an attitude/perception thing, too. Most of the time, people who approach me about my camera are dudes. I don't want to say I'm the most babe-licious babe on Planet Babe, because I'm NOT, but I pretty much always assume that strange men are just looking for a flirt. Which is fine, I can do that.

Come to think of it, I get honked at at hollered at and waved to whether or not I'm carrying my big WHITE K-30. Goes with the territory. If you're a woman outside, you get hollered at. Gotta be gracious and confident. And safe.

I have had people ask me if I'm taking a class, or if I'm taking pictures for the paper or something. I just tell them, "It's a hobby". No one has ever really engaged me further about photography as a hobby, which is kind of disappointing. I'd love to have an extensive conversation about picture-takin' with someone who enjoys it, too. :-)
01-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I don't want to say I'm the most babe-licious babe on Planet Babe, because I'm NOT
Oh, I'd say you comfortably make it into the top 10% Sara

QuoteQuote:
I'd love to have an extensive conversation about picture-takin' with someone who enjoys it, too. :-)
That's what you come here for, isn't it?

01-17-2015, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That's what you come here for, isn't it?
Precisely! Group hug! ^_^
01-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've had it happen on rare occasions. Obviously by idiots. I had a woman start threatening to destroy my camera once if I dared to take a picture of her (I was shooting pigeons in a park). I was tempted to switch it over to burst mode and blast away just to call her bluff but decided the risk wasn't worth it.

The usual thing I tend to get is people asking if I work for the local newspaper.
01-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm in Tennessee. There can be strange folks. This one guy in the passenger side today yelled 'BOW' or something like it reallly loudly as he passed by me... then he got caught in traffic and I ended up passing him on the sidewalk.. so he started yelling 'hey take a picture, mane. take a picture. take a picture etc etc etc' so I took his picture. Then thought.. if he was crazy enough to do all of that he is probably crazy enough to stop and attack. So I think, in the future, I will just smile friendly and wave or something.
I was guessing the south. The culture there seems to be more conducive of talking to strangers than anywhere else.

This kind of stuff happened on a couple of occasions, in SoCal and in Boston. Here's the rundown of the past 10 years:

Once there was I guy who was passing by while I was checking out the DA40 I just got, nearby my work. It was a bit past 5 pm and I figured I would take some random shots before returning to work.
He said something along the lines 'Oh you sure got that picture' with a condescending tone. I just said, 'that's right', looked in his eyes and he quickly walked away. I do think an eastern european accent might have been the reason.

The other time I was adjusting the standard neck strap because it was pushing into my neck (too short strap!). I was walking in griffith park and a women said 'oh your camera is beautiful, can i have it?'. It confused me, but I think she might have thought I am grasping the camera tightly as she is passing - i.e. to prevent theft, rather than adjusting it. I am not sure though, I couldn't come up with a better explanation.

On a couple more occasions I got a question if I am a pro (both in Boston) and some questions about how to set a camera to take a shot x, I think night scape for boston skyline.

Once I was stopped by the police, who was confused why I am taking pictures at night, since it is dark out there . Apparently someone got worried and called them in. I showed them my pictures and college ID and they got less worried.

01-17-2015, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Hah perhaps so. But I was walking tall, looking straight ahead at two of the times and framing a shot the other. Not like I was looking feeble at the time.

And, if I had, would that excuse bad behavior?

In any case, I got my shots.
Great!! :-D

I guess I should add, when I was participating in my first Single In challenge through the forums here (Single in March 2014). I drove up and down all of the numbered streets in my town, since there are around 30 and it seemed like a good structure. I actually got one citizen to call the police on me for suspicious behavior. Fortunately, the clerk at the City Police somehow knew that I was the secretary for a local attorney and she just made a call to my boss. We laughed about it the next day at work. And no, it didn't teach me anything. I will still stop my car and jump out, crawl around on the ground awkwardly, for the photo I want. No fear.
01-17-2015, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #24
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Zen of photography, lol.
Hah perhaps so. But I was walking tall, looking straight ahead at two of the times and framing a shot the other. Not like I was looking feeble at the time.

And, if I had, would that excuse bad behavior?

In any case, I got my shots.

---------- Post added 01-17-15 at 07:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Great!! :-D

I guess I should add, when I was participating in my first Single In challenge through the forums here (Single in March 2014). I drove up and down all of the numbered streets in my town, since there are around 30 and it seemed like a good structure. I actually got one citizen to call the police on me for suspicious behavior. Fortunately, the clerk at the City Police somehow knew that I was the secretary for a local attorney and she just made a call to my boss. We laughed about it the next day at work. And no, it didn't teach me anything. I will still stop my car and jump out, crawl around on the ground awkwardly, for the photo I want. No fear.
ah you caught me updating posts. hehe

Yes, I've been known to stop the car and jump out to take a photo or two too... but never in traffic.

From reading all of the responses, it seems it isn't common but it does seem to happen. I would say, out of all the people with which I've come in contact (shouting something or honking), it appears the majority are in the lower income bracket. I never see anyone in a newer luxury or sports car/SUV yelling at me. Always the beatup pickup truck or sedan missing half the bumper. Just an odd observation there.
Attached Images

01-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Never had that type of experience. Not many people take photos in upstate New York, at least from my observations, but Syracuse isn't a huge city either. Most photographers I see are students on campus at Syracuse University.

Only comments I ever get is when I strap a 70-200 2.8 on and photograph my kids at various events, at that's from the wife before we leave. Only other mom's and dad'd with dslrs that I ever see at these events are using the kit kit zoom that came with the camera. I do get comments suggesting that I'm a professional, which is hardly the case. Maybe in a few decades, LOL.
01-17-2015, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The context of the situation that causes people to yell things or honk? walking down the sidewalk not pointing the camera at anyone with my back turned to traffic was all of the events today... except the airhorns.. I had stopped with my back turned to traffic at the edge of an empty parking lot, photographing an abandoned building.

In all cases today my back was turned to them and they approached me.

The flowers in the park thing I was taking macroesque (really close up) photos of the flower blooms on some of the plants in the park on the edge of the parking lot. No person was in the images or at risk of being photographed.

Various beeps and honks at other places usually walking with or away from traffic a on sidewalk or 5-15 feet off of the sidewalk (further away from the road).

So, in all situations, there was no threat to the people acting like turkeys.

Actually, I had my tripod out once on the sidewalk near dusk, taking long exposures of traffic on a lightly used stretch of road in town and had a couple occurrences there. Only time I was really static and aimed at traffic.

Thankfully, Police have never ever bothered me. Even when I was camped out on the sidewalk with the tripod that time. They just drove by.
This must be regional.

I think people are used to cameras where I live so they don't say anything to photogs.
01-17-2015, 08:37 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

- Jim (The Waco Kid), Blazing Saddles

Last edited by THoog; 01-18-2015 at 05:04 PM.
01-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

- Jim (The Cisco Kid), Blazing Saddles
- thanks for bringing up that old gem...
01-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@THoog - Ahhh, that was awesome!

The worst "heckling" I get is from my officemate after the photo is taken. We're good friends and he knows I'm passionate about photography. I've shared some of my "artsy" and family shots on Flickr with him. He'll see a street photo in my collection and almost get upset I take pictures in public.
01-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I've photographed in many U.S. states and don't recall any honking or yelling from cars directed at me. NYC, DC, Boston, Philly, New Orleans, Omaha, plus smaller cities and towns.