Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm the same as most of you. Just thinking about it (shooting a wedding) gives me nightmares about forgetting to load film (I'm not into digital photography) due to the stress and nervousness. And don't ask if I've ever forgotten to load film in real life!

The closest I've ever come to professional photography was working for a small town newspaper when I was in high school. There was never a time at the newspaper that I thought it was super critical to get a specific shot OR ELSE! They also didn't care how much film we used.

01-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have shot many weddings. It got easier, and I got better with practice. I understand the emotion though. Think positive. You'll do a great job and they will treasure the pictures.

Here are some thoughts. Plan the shoot, depending on the wedding venue, the ceremony and the couple and guests. Have the right gear for the event. You'll be shooting the wedding itself, and the reception candids. You probably will stage some re-enactments afterward to get the ring exchange, the vows, the kiss, the entrance and exit, the ring hands, and family groups, signing the license and so on. For the group shots, you have to manage the crowd, tell jokes, be a little bossy but get the poses you think the couple and family would want. Once you have things planned, you know what gear you need. Probably a fast wide zoom and a fast long zoom on two bodies, multiple flashes on radio remotes on umbrella stands, and multiples of every critical item, from cameras to batteries to memory cards. Have a helper, for security and to be where you aren't.

Help the couple to crowd source the photos of all attendees, but to the couple, not to you, stay out of that. At the reception, get candids of all guests especially dear relatives and children. Get the usual standard shots, the entrance, the dance, the toasting, cutting the cake, face planting the cake, the garter and bouquet toss. Cliches, but people love them.

I deliver all the usable pictures on a DVD and I'm done. Let the couple pick and choose and make enlargements. I try to avoid photoshopping the lot, because it's so much time and effort. This is not a money maker for me, in fact it's hard work for intangible rewards. But if you have the skill and equipment needed to bring the couple some happiness, it can feel very right.

01-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
I have shot many weddings. It got easier, and I got better with practice. I understand the emotion though. Think positive. You'll do a great job and they will treasure the pictures.

Here are some thoughts. Plan the shoot, depending on the wedding venue, the ceremony and the couple and guests. Have the right gear for the event. You'll be shooting the wedding itself, and the reception candids. You probably will stage some re-enactments afterward to get the ring exchange, the vows, the kiss, the entrance and exit, the ring hands, and family groups, signing the license and so on. For the group shots, you have to manage the crowd, tell jokes, be a little bossy but get the poses you think the couple and family would want. Once you have things planned, you know what gear you need. Probably a fast wide zoom and a fast long zoom on two bodies, multiple flashes on radio remotes on umbrella stands, and multiples of every critical item, from cameras to batteries to memory cards. Have a helper, for security and to be where you aren't.

Help the couple to crowd source the photos of all attendees, but to the couple, not to you, stay out of that. At the reception, get candids of all guests especially dear relatives and children. Get the usual standard shots, the entrance, the dance, the toasting, cutting the cake, face planting the cake, the garter and bouquet toss. Cliches, but people love them.

I deliver all the usable pictures on a DVD and I'm done. Let the couple pick and choose and make enlargements. I try to avoid photoshopping the lot, because it's so much time and effort. This is not a money maker for me, in fact it's hard work for intangible rewards. But if you have the skill and equipment needed to bring the couple some happiness, it can feel very right.

Pros are pros, what I said before. I would hire you immediately, you've got what it takes.
01-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I have to tell you guys, my cousin wouldn't look at a wedding for under 3 grand, 1990's money. A lot of his ran over 7 grand by the time the prints were done. He also was a HS photography teacher (seems to run in the family). He always made more money with his wedding photography business. But he never had the confidence to quit and make it his real job. I never asked him how long it took to get his prices up to that level, but, the top end of wedding is as high as the top end of any other type pf photography. I will take you on a 6 day canoe trip, help you with your gear, cook all your meals, provide all the equipment you need for $1500... and post a photo album of your trip on line before you get home. But wouldn't even consider for a half second, doing a wedding for that.

01-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I appreciate the kind of persona the best suits a wedding photographer, it would not work for me because I am an introvert. The last thing on earth I would want to do is order people around and take charge. That is why I enjoy nature photography so much. A shout-out to great wedding photographers, though. Your work is wonderful and very much needed.
01-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It seems there are advantages to walking around with a 500 mm in fatigues. No one has yet asked me to do a wedding.
At my cousins wedding in Arkansas, all the people in the wedding wore camo, you would of fit right in.
01-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Is it because they expect you to be cheap?
The word "cheap" usually translates as "free".

01-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The word "cheap" usually translates as "free".
Actually I'm less terrified of shooting some no obligation "cheap" wedding just because I have better camera than p&s. Ok, I can shoot how I can. The most terrifying to be confused with the pro.
01-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #39

Ха!!!!! Девушке своей купил. Смотрю даже не гуляла в них
01-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adhokratt Quote
Ха!!!!! Девушке своей купил. Смотрю даже не гуляла в них
Yo no entiendo lo que escribiste!!
01-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
adhokratt, are you sure about posting in the right forum?
01-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #42

To get people together at a wedding to take group shots is like herding cats!!
01-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Ask them to hire a pro that specializes in wedding photography in a more photojournalistic style... More candid. Don't just go for any wedding photog, different ones have different styles.

I wouldn't want to shoot a wedding... For fun, yes, but the pressure... You can't make mistakes, you can't re-shoot. Buildings are much more patient.
01-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again, once you screw one, you lose the fear. GO for it, WTH!
01-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I survived it.... see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/286958-people-mates-w...-survived.html