Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Voted!

I really wanted to like 500px, but quickly got sick of the comments. "V+F, look a my photos!" Seems so ingenue. Flickr isn't that much better, but at least the people commenting on my photos aren't begging for views. I wish these communities would utilize a downvote button. I've been on Flickr for ages, but it seems to be dying a slow death. Mediocre improvements and features that make me thinks they aren't listening to their user base at all.
Instagram blew right past Flickr in less than 2 years. They had passed Flickr in monthly users by 2012. There are now more than 300 million monthly users of Instagram to around 16 million monthly users of Flickr.

01-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There are now more than 300 million monthly users of Instagram to around 16 million monthly users of Flickr.
Yep, they may not care that all composition gets reduced to a square, but members of this forum will.
01-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instagram blew right past Flickr in less than 2 years. They had passed Flickr in monthly users by 2012. There are now more than 300 million monthly users of Instagram to around 16 million monthly users of Flickr.
I had the impression that Instagram was largely for iPhone users, so that's where the popularity stems from. Even on Flickr I notice that the vast majority of posts are from iPhones.
01-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I had the impression that Instagram was largely for iPhone users, so that's where the popularity stems from. Even on Flickr I notice that the vast majority of posts are from iPhones.
And Flickr has never really had a good iPhone app. But I can post directly to Flickr from Aperture. You can't do that for Instagram, but you can post to Facebook. Instagram will probably lose a lot of popularity once Facebook tries to monetize it.

01-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And Flickr has never really had a good iPhone app. But I can post directly to Flickr from Aperture. You can't do that for Instagram, but you can post to Facebook. Instagram will probably lose a lot of popularity once Facebook tries to monetize it.
I tried installing the Flickr android app on my tablet but the notifications drove me crazy and can't be turned off. When mobile data rates get cheaper and more portable, maybe...
01-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #21

You actually can turn off the notifications, it just isn't very obvious. If I remember correctly, it's in the system setting > app manager > Flickr.

Instagram is hard to ignore. Many of my friends/family are on it, so I cross post many of my photos there. It's pretty basic though and leaves a lot to be desired. I like the Tumblr interface and blog style for sharing photos but I don't like the reblog feature. Someone needs to take all the best features of Flickr/Instagram/500px/Tumblr and roll them into the ultimate photo sharing site.
01-21-2015, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
Victory!!!

As of this minute the K-3 is a PENTAX camera on flickr!!!

01-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ksuwildkat Quote
Now we just need the 645D/Z and Q/Q10/Q7/Q-S1.
01-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hurrah!

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/pentax/k-3/
01-22-2015, 06:27 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Woohoo! But its numbers are fubared right now (only 1 daily user, 0 total photo uploads). Maybe they will adjust themselves eventually...?

What probably happened is that Ricoh itself put "Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd." in the EXIF field for manufacturer (Exif.Image.Make) and "Pentax K-3" for model (Exif.Image.Model), which explains how the EXIF data on K-3 photos is displayed by Flickr, and why it first went up as a Ricoh camera, which, technically, is correct.