Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #1

Pentax cameras not showing up in flickr

Don't know how many of you are on flickr but there is a serious issue with Pentax visibility in flickr camera finder

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/pentax/

No Pentax camera has been added to camera finder in the last 18 months. The K-50 was the last new camera added. Additionally many even older Pentax cameras are not in Camera Finder. No a single Q series camera is there. Not a single WG series is there. The 645 series is missing.

Just this week the K-3 was added but not to Pentax, to Ricoh where it is bizarrely listed a the Pentax K-3.

Two days ago a picture I took made Explore. According to flickr the camera I used, the Pentax Q7, doesnt exist.

I wrote flickr about an image being in Explore but not in Camera finder. here is part of their response:

I'm really sorry to hear that your Pentax camera is being mistreated and under appreciated Rob, but I am going to do everything I can to fix it.
I did find the brand of camera, but not the model listed inside https://www.flickr.com/cameras.

Nice condescending attitude.

We made enough noise through the Yahoo voice system to move the K-3 petition from #59 to #31 in two days. We need to move it even higher and get ALL the missing Pentax cameras listed. We need to get the K-3 on the Pentax page where it belongs.

Please join me in writing to flickr and by voting on the voice petition:

From the help page:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/flickr

Click on Contact Us then "start here" and "photo basics" and "my issues does not appear here"

Alternately you can post to Facebook.

If enough of us bug them, they will fix this.

Thanks for your time and good shooting.

01-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have a friend who I know for a fact uses Pentax gear. The EXIF on his images is not showing Pentax either. I am really beginning to wonder if Flickr has some vested interest in making Canon cameras show up at the top of the heap? Maybe someone there is paid to skew the results? DSLR payola?

obin
01-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know I also post photos on flickr. After 5 years of getting to know flickr, I don't take it seriously like I did 5 years ago. It really isn't a professional photo hosting site. There have been people who post fake photos on there and attempt to pass them off as real. The sad thing is people will still say good things on their photos because they want comments back. It's a place for people who live in bubble worlds.
01-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ive been on flickr for 8 years now. Not only have I been a "Pro" paid user I have gifted multiple "pro" accounts. I just signed up for 500pix.

01-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if this is time well spent you know.
01-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My K3 is reported in the EXIF data on Flickr, but it's odd that the K3 isn't shown in that list of Pentax camera rankings.
01-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Flickr which is owned by Getty Images is not a very well liked site anymore at least with top/ famous photogs. Many have left Getty and Flickr and gone elsewhere where they are treated much better and get a much bigger piece of the pie if a pic is sold. You might want to go to " Stuck in Customs.com" and find out who Tray Ratcliff uses.
Personally I have never had trouble finding pic taken with Pentax cameras and exif almost always shows proper info. I don't go the camera part though. If I want to look at pics taken with a Pentax K5 or 3 etc. I just type in the info into the search engine.

01-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Flickr which is owned by Getty Images
But it's not, Mike.

Yahoo are the owners.

There was a deal by which Getty could license Flickr images.
01-19-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
I have a friend who I know for a fact uses Pentax gear. The EXIF on his images is not showing Pentax either. I am really beginning to wonder if Flickr has some vested interest in making Canon cameras show up at the top of the heap? Maybe someone there is paid to skew the results? DSLR payola?

obin
Lot of people strip EXIF off the images (knowingly or unknowingly) before posting them on web.
01-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Maybe that's why Pentax is such a small slice on that recent graph of the most popular cameras of 2014 on flickr. If the recent models simply don't show...
01-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3 is under 'Ricoh' - https://www.flickr.com/cameras/ricoh/
01-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
The sad thing is people will still say good things on their photos because they want comments back. It's a place for people who live in bubble worlds.
How is that any different than say 500px?
01-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

500px vs flickr

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How is that any different than say 500px?
500px is somewhat different for a least a couple of reasons. The best work is sent to the top by likes and faves. You can plainly see some of the best work when you go there and look at the categories. You can get people to artificially help you get there in a pool of contacts but photos that are good enough are only going get you so far.

If you have a killer photo, it isn't going to take long before it gets to the top of a category on 500px as long as it has three tags. On flickr, that same photo isn't noticed if you are not promoting it.

From what I've seen people with photostreams that are not so good don't do very well on 500px but they can do well on flickr by adding their photos to dozens of groups and when their buddies help them out. I think 500px has been adding groups lately but I have only been invited to one.

I think the best thing "for some people" is to get their egos out of their photos. I know a couple of people who seem to refuse to learn anything from anyone in the field. Consequently, their photos are not even good enough but they think their work is excellent.
01-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
500px is somewhat different for a least a couple of reasons. The best work is sent to the top by likes and faves. You can plainly see some of the best work when you go there and look at the categories. You can get people to artificially help you get there in a pool of contacts but photos that are good enough are only going get you so far.

If you have a killer photo, it isn't going to take long before it gets to the top of a category on 500px as long as it has three tags. On flickr, that same photo isn't noticed if you are not promoting it.

From what I've seen people with photostreams that are not so good don't do very well on 500px but they can do well on flickr by adding their photos to dozens of groups and when their buddies help them out. I think 500px has been adding groups lately but I have only been invited to one.

I think the best thing "for some people" is to get their egos out of their photos. I know a couple of people who seem to refuse to learn anything from anyone in the field. Consequently, their photos are not even good enough but they think their work is excellent.
500px is even worse than Flickr. So many of my photos have made to Popular which I never expected. People come and like your photo in return they expect you to like one of theirs. Most of the comments I see are "good work, please check out my profile.". It's bigger circlejerk than Flickr.

Here's an example - https://500px.com/photo/92003303/woodcut-roses-by-dave-binyon?from=popular&only=Abstract

This photo also made it to Popular on 500px. Go figure.

At least on Flickr I now have built a following which is genuine and I follow people whose work I like. I don't participate in groups.
01-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #15

Voted!

I really wanted to like 500px, but quickly got sick of the comments. "V+F, look a my photos!" Seems so ingenue. Flickr isn't that much better, but at least the people commenting on my photos aren't begging for views. I wish these communities would utilize a downvote button. I've been on Flickr for ages, but it seems to be dying a slow death. Mediocre improvements and features that make me thinks they aren't listening to their user base at all.