Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to buy those Vivian Maier books you've been holding off on purchasing.

It looks like her work is being pulled from galleries and if the copyrights for the various books are challenged they may get pulled as well.

01-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's sad.

Nobody cared for the lady when she was around.
Now that she has fame, everyone suddenly has a claim.

Without John Malloff, the negs may well have just rotted away or burned at the incinerator since I doubt the parties making a claim would have even bothered picking up the stuff.
01-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
That's sad.

Without John Malloff, the negs may well have just rotted away or burned at the incinerator since I doubt the parties making a claim would have even bothered picking up the stuff.
I couldn't have said it better. I wonder if all the online links will also be involved?
01-20-2015, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

HMMM... I found a Cro-magnon distant relative.... Wonder if I can get a piece of the pie like that bottom feeding lawyer's trying to do..

01-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The sad story of almost every good artists ever...
01-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

There seem to be five or six to choose from. I saw the film last year and was amazed by the story. Does anyone know which of the books might be the most comprehensive collection of her work? 'A photographer found' looks like it might be it, but welcome your suggestions.
01-22-2015, 01:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
There seem to be five or six to choose from. I saw the film last year and was amazed by the story. Does anyone know which of the books might be the most comprehensive collection of her work? 'A photographer found' looks like it might be it, but welcome your suggestions.
Buy them all? "Street Photographer" and "Eye To Eye" are the ones I've got so far they are equally good. The rest should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to spending some time with them over the weekend.

01-22-2015, 03:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
She had such a weird life a weird postscript was always on the cards.
01-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
She had such a weird life a weird postscript was always on the cards.
Synchronicity in action. The irony might be that, due to timing as well as talent and most certainly circumstance and controversy, she may well become more renowned than HCB in the 21st century mainstream. Probably already is.

Then again, there is so little known about her that it may only be lack of knowledgeable details that makes her life seem "weird". In reality, how many people do each and every one of use pass by on the street who are living an equally, "weird" life sans the prolific photographic proclivity (I know, it just happened; I'm not gonna edit it)?
01-23-2015, 03:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote

Then again, there is so little known about her that it may only be lack of knowledgeable details that makes her life seem "weird".
Well, the film suggested to me she may have even been mentally ill, especially by the end.
01-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a news article on her books...... and the background on the legal battle over her estate...
12-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Any news since then ...?
12-10-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Any news since then ...?
Here is a montage of a few articles from April to November of this year. Cook county in Chicago took over her estate until an heir can be found. Another person sold 17,500 images (and is being sued to disgorge his profits) to a gallery in Canada to get them out of the US and they in turn sold them to investors in Switzerland. The person who discovered Maier can't profit from his discovery. In short - it's a mess and getting messier in some ways.... but the initial lawsuit has been settled -but sealed.
12-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Oh man ...
But it looks like Maloof is on a good way.
I hope that we will see new images one day ...

Thanks for the links!
12-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank for the info, I might acquire “A Photographer Found” before the stocks runs out.