Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #1

Collaboration!

Hi

I'm currently studying for a degree in photography at UCS in Suffolk, England, it seems even at the ripe old age of 60 there's still plenty to learn about photography!

The reason for the post is the current module, description from the module below:

This module offers you the opportunity to formulate and undertake a major project with individuals or agencies either outside or from within the university context. For example this project may take the form of a collaboration, commission, exchange or residency. The project aims to encourage you to explore further the wider professional aspects of creative practice.

So I'm looking for anyone who is interested in collaborating on a project, I know its a vague request, but it seems to me that if I'm going to collaborate with someone, they should have as much input about the 'collaboration' as I do.

I'm open to suggestions about what form this takes, what the subject matter is, and numbers, it could be a one person or a hundred, I think this will become clearer and evolve as the project takes shape.

As for subject matter, that's open to suggestions as well, could places, people, landscape, urban, street or any other type of photography, serious or humorous, anything is possible!

The deadline is the end of Feb for photography, which will give me time to collate and decide how to display the photo's, as this could span the world (potentially) it will probably end up as a website.

Anyway, enough rambling, if anyone is interested, then please reply to this thread.

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by artifact; 01-20-2015 at 06:00 AM. Reason: rotten copy and pasting from open office!
01-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best of luck with the project.
01-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a lot of time on my hands, however I haven't been into photography for too long yet (about a year) but if this will end up being a big group project after all I'd be glad to help out if I can in any way.
01-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I have a lot of time on my hands, however I haven't been into photography for too long yet (about a year) but if this will end up being a big group project after all I'd be glad to help out if I can in any way.
I don't think ability or how long matters, its more about what a group can do together and the interaction

01-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

One possibility would be derivative photography. You submit a photo to a group, other participants interpret that photo and submit one of their own inspired by it, you respond with another photo, repeat. You could play the role of curator (because merely collecting a bunch of photos via PF probably isn't enough work to count for course credit).
01-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's great that you are back in school learning new tricks.
Collaboration is a highly valuable process that seems to be gaining even more importance in the working world. I've had to collaborate with media production teams, community organizations, teams of photographers whom I've supervised, and peer photographers covering the same large event under a shared manager.
While I cannot suggest a particular project for you to undertake with other people, for the sake of testing yourself I would recommend collaborating with a person who is challenging to work with. Working with difficult people (and somewhat sadly I find that photographers and artists can be more challenging in a team context than other skill concentrations) is a far tougher undertaking than creating the actual content that drives your assignment. School is a far safer environment to figure this out than the working world.
So go have some fun!

M
01-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, there is no lack of historical examples of artistic collaboration for you to employ, if you wish. One that I have always appreciated was the Surrealist game of the exquisite corpse.
(See Exquisite corpse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
You could play this with photography in any of several ways with other people.

Or use the older psychology of associationism to create a sequence of images from different people. (See Association of ideas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Or ask various people to photograph the same thing (say, a red apple) or the exact same object (the moon) and use the different interpretations as a basis for understanding how different people aesthetically interpret in similar and dissimilar ways.

Be creative. I bet you can come up with many ways that people (either local to you or around the world) could collaborate in a way that would help you.

01-21-2015, 05:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

What about finding a local poet and trying to create photos that illustrate their poems? The idea being to create an illustrated book of the poet's work.
02-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't got back sooner, doing a full time degree, working as a graphic designer (my day job!) and having a wife means things get a bit hectic from time to time!

Thanks for all the idea's and suggestions, what I've come up with, after tutorials/lectures and lecturer input is to collect photos of bizarre, inappropriate, improbable & the weird, I'm not quite sure where that's going to end up, but who knows it's a journey that may or may not work out!

So if anyone has anything that fits that description, I'd love to see them!

Thanks again for the input.

Phil