Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Photo project help...

Hi all,

I have a photo project on my plate that I am stumped a bit with, for my local camera club. There's a themed photo night on metal (the thing, not the music), my intended Saturday trip for this is looking to be rained out on me.

Am now thinking of going to London, been trying to google around for places and landmarks that might fit the bill, but I just get my Google results often being swamped with heavy metal music stuff. As much as I love my metal, it's not what i need right now. Can anyone suggest any interesting places/things for me that would make for a good photo?

Last edited by GrimWolf; 01-28-2015 at 11:32 AM.
01-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

Metal...all around you...cars (wheels, bumpers, mirrors)...bridges/train tracks/manhole covers...houses (kitchen, utensils, appliances, door handles...farms (tractors, tools)...try close ups/macro shoots. Wish you the best in your project.
01-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Rust, if not too cliche.
Street photography of people wearing metal jewelry.
Transportation: bridges, cars, trains, bicycles, etc.
Close-ups of reflections off chrome objects.
Architectural shots of metal in buildings under constructions.
01-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I currently have 1 photo for the subject, an old photo i too ka while back that I have revisited with photoshop (attached). I have other shots from the same barn, of an old rusty engine block, but there is so much overgrowth there, it feels a bit too busy.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9100  Photo 
01-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 on stuff around yourself, especially the silverware drawer. Tons of options, stick a bunch of forks in your hair and a spoon in your mouth for a self portrait, extreme fork closeups, forks jabbing things, photos of bundles of utensils, etc. Lots of options to play with compositions and creative reflections in shiny metal.

If you have one, this is a great excuse to break out an old spotmatic or other shiny film camera with a metal build to use a subject.
01-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always fun and interesting to look for odd or mysterious reflections in metal objects. Your bathroom faucets, silverware, metal flatware, gold jewelry, etc. Let your imagination run wild.
01-29-2015, 04:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't get caught photographing the wife's jewelry. She might think you're cashing in to get another lens.

01-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
No worries, no wife to catch me lol.
01-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I have another idea, however I am not sure of the legalities here. I have a replica katana, i thought it might make an interesting photo to stick it in the grass with some trees in the background etc. Not sure how legal it is for me to carry my katana out into the countryside though (UK).
01-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would think that if you can find any museums that might have medieval stuff (armor, shields, helmets) or more classical sterling silver type stuff. Clocks, Clockworks, Factories, Foundries... That one's a bit out there, but a foundry would seem cool or perhaps an art place where people cast bronze sculptures.

Molten metal would be quite an interesting photo subject and a little more unique than the typical metal people see. It's probably not that easy to come by, but it still sounds fun.

Similarly, a photo around a soldering iron (macro-like) could be cool. A circuit board. Things like that can be easy to come-by with the large quantity of electronic waste.

Have fun.