Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What would you want in a beginning photography class?

A local pro and I will be discussing the possibility of creating a photography class (one or more "sessions") for various levels of beginners. Enough folks in town have approached him or me to ask how they can make better photos.

So, here's your chance to chime in. As a beginner in photography, what subjects would you want covered in such a class? What would you expect to, or be willing to, learn more on your own? What would you want taught to you with your hand held? What topics would not be particularly important? How much, for example, would you want attention to equipment and technique, versus composition and artistry?

Any, and all, input welcome.

01-30-2015, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10 things I want to do in photography class.

1. Exposure (make me use fixed ISO like film and adjust aperture and shutter speed - make me meter - make me prove I know how to do it and why it works, IOW the science of exposure values)
That is to say, teach me light
2. Biological science of human binocular vision, leading to theory and practice of composition like in art class
Advanced: Use of color in composition
3. You can skip chemistry. Its 2015.
But it would be nice to know how to work wet.
4. Teach me how a camera produces a jpeg and how to anticipate what will come off the card
You can offer to teach me digital darkroom in place of chemistry
5. Proper physical technique (hand holding, body control, foot placement, stable base, comfort considerations, carry less, etc.)
You can offer to teach me some advanced concepts such as tripod/monopod/refconverter (hinged LCD), etc.
6. Gear is gear. Maybe teach me how to figure out gear, but don't bother teaching me my gear.
You can skip gear. Everybody else wants to know gear. I want a different class. Forget gear.
7, 8, 9 and 10. Make me go shoot. Evaluate. Shoot more. Evaluate.
01-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Post processing. Maybe it's a bit too advanced? But I find that the more I processed images, the more I understood the quirks of digital photography. What situations lead to poor contrast? How can we improve it beforehand? What are highlights? What is clipping? Why can I correct some images nicely but not others? (e.g., why is underexposing by a stop better than overexposing by one, in general.\?)

You can dramatically improve your images once you understand the very simple concept of levels and how digital imaging works. It replaces the chemistry lessons of days of old. How film worked was essential to photography years back. Why is "how digital imaging works" not considered just as essential? It's much simpler and it's something everyone can do, unlike the darkroom techniques of yesteryear.
01-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Get into manual and stay there. Spend the time to explain the exposure triangle and how it works. You can literally spend a whole day on this (and I've been to workshops that have) and keep it entertaining, educational, and get it to stick. Go over proper hand holding techniques for stability as well.

PM me your email if you want a slide show of the best one I've encountered over the years. Probably the most informative and photo-life changing class I've ever been to.

edit: I lied, I dont have the attachment anymore.

01-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I love monochrome's list.

A strong practical focus at the start is crucial to keeping students. (Theory and more complex technique can follow later, although the exposure triangle has to come in early.)

Start with the things that will lift their shots above the level of snapshots straight away.

Getting sharper shots is number one. That means learning how to focus, learning how to hold a camera steadily and setting the right shutter speeds.

At stage one you can get students bracket shooting so they will be churning out some well exposed shots in jpegs. Then you teach them metering and when to shoot shutter priority/ aperture priority/ manual (ban auto ; ) ).

Those basics should reward students early on with steadily improving images. They will then be more motivated to follow you through the more complex stuff.
01-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great comments, folks. Keep 'em coming.

Wired, can you direct me to any information that might allow me to search the web/library and find what encountered?
01-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Great comments, folks. Keep 'em coming.

Wired, can you direct me to any information that might allow me to search the web/library and find what encountered?
https://www.facebook.com/chriskeatingphotographicresourse

01-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Rule of thirds, leading lines, fill the frame: they'll notice an instant improvement in their photos without having to move off Auto. This will encourage them to think about the technical details next.
01-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

One of my friends complained that her camera took terrible flash photos most of time. Upon observing her using her flash I told her she was standing too far away and that her flash only went out to a certain distance. I suggested the proper distance and Wallah! Her camera worked. So I say students need to know what to expect from their personal equipment. I had to learn the hard way begging people for explanations. Lol, looking back I think they didn't know the answers to my questions. I wanted to know everything but there wasn't any classes available.
01-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Rule of thirds, leading lines, fill the frame: they'll notice an instant improvement in their photos without having to move off Auto. This will encourage them to think about the technical details next.
yeah, you can take beautiful pictures with full auto mode. But bad composition stays bad composition no matter what. It is also much easier (IMHO of course) to understand, than starting with 'exposure' or 'f stops'.
01-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe Monochromes list is a good start for 1/2 of the course. The technical.

But I would say as a general starting point it should also be 1/2 visual aesthetics. Taking students to museums to view/discuss paintings, looking a iconic pictures (more photo's) and asking why they work, and critiques of the (classes) students work.

I think the aesthetics is the toughest part (as it may seem there is no right or wrong, especially because "rules" like the one of thirds are formulas that are made to be broken). But to not do it leaves many of the students saying so what, and because the art of photography is something that is hard to self develop/self critique.

Students will be looking often for the technical OR the aesthetics--and if they don't get it they will be frustrated, and on the other hand if they don't get the other half--they will not mature/learn fully.

Clearly this is more than 1 session. I don't know how many as I have not taught this--but maybe 4-6 3 hour sessions.

Last edited by dms; 01-30-2015 at 07:34 PM.
01-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nudes…..

Ok it's not about me….so I like to think in 4 or so blocks…….

Firstly…..put the cameras aside and teach people how to see……Visual…..look at some art/good photo's…..lead to some of the elements composition/light/planning etc
Secondly…..the camera…..Technical …...yeah exposure etc
Thirdly….. Play…..some practise
Fourthly ….. Revue/processing
Fifth….untold Riches

Most people are inspired/driven by the Aesthetics to then master the technical…..
01-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You know, if we did nude photography, we could save money by having some of the participants function as the models, too.....

Ooops! We probably shouldn't go there.
01-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
You know, if we did nude photography, we could save money by having some of the participants function as the models, too.....

Ooops! We probably shouldn't go there.
Get your wide angle lens ready, Sholtzma!
01-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

One I feel that is important to go along with composition, leading lines etc is; Perspective
Another would be, use foreground objects to produce 3D appearance.