Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Brand new Pentaxian here!

Just ordered a K-50 with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses, and it came with a free flash unit (B&H). I also got a super deal with the January rebates on a 55mm 1.8 prime lens. I'm super excited.

I couldn't find the introduction thread so I guess I'll try to make my introduction as on topic as possible. This is my first ever pentax camera. I fell in love with photography after taking a class in college and at that time I had a Canon Rebel XT which I got used and it was already about seven years old. Anyway I was learning all these cool things about photography but my point and shoot took better pictures than my DSLR!

My Canon ended up breaking so I have been without a DSLR for over a year now, and in that time my Wife and I had a baby so I was really wanting a camera to take nice pictures with. Seriously I've been having withdrawals... there's only so much you can do artistically with a point and shoot.

Anyway, I hope I like Pentax but I'm pretty sure I will. I've been researching cameras for the last year and there's a reason I chose this one (besides my budget).

Any tips for transitioning between an old Canon DSLR to the K-50?

Thanks!

01-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

If you want to use the point and shoot argument look at this:

But all aside- Welcome! I think what you will notice first is that 1. We have a fantastic community here as Pentaxians 2. The ergonomics are going to be way above your rebel and 3. There are alot of really cool legacy lenses that you can pick up if you get really into looking back!
01-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I had a Rebel XT.

It's going to feel like going from a worn out beater car that you've been driving for 10 years, to a brand new mid level luxury sedan. Essentially they work the same way, but all of the buttons are in different locations and the instrumentation is highly updated. After a month of driving it, you'll forget all about how that Rebel XT handled and really enjoy the performance of the new model.
01-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take LOTS of photos.
One of the beauties of digital is it costs nothing to make images and there is no loss in deleting lots of them.
When I say take LOTS, I don't mean carelessly hitting the shutter without thought (like a poker machine addict just pressing, pressing, pressing...)
Do think about what you are doing; remember as much as you can from your photog class and try to apply the lessons AND experiment a bit AND post pics here for feedback.
Enjoy Pentax World - it's a great place to be.

01-31-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all!

I should have known to not say anything about the limits of point and shoots, as I have seen what they can do in the hands of someone who knows how to make great images with anything. Hmm... so is my new K-50 just going to be a crutch then? Should I learn how to take cool pics with my point and shoot and only upgrade when I've proven myself? Interesting thing to think about.

Oh well, I have no expectation of becoming a pro. I think what made me want a DSLR so bad is that in my photography class I found the mechanisms behind photography so intriguing (mostly how science and art come together) and I wanted to experiment with that. Even if a point and shoot can produce great pics, it doesn't allow you to experiment the way a DSLR does. I would have no control over DOF and limited control over most other things besides maybe composition and lighting. And lets face it, my K-50 is really just a toy for my own enjoyment.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I really liked the analogy of an old beater and the sedan. Can't wait to get my hands on a current-technology camera.
01-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lets face it, my K-50 is really just a toy for my own enjoyment
... as it is for many photographers (and for some of us!).
The enjoyment comes in several ways - looking back on images on great holidays/places visited, gathering images of family (particularly as kids grow older), keeping record/memories of great moments, etc etc.
and possibly right up there is enjoyment in seeing how one is developing as an image maker.
01-31-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
The K-50 is a great camera. Maybe too great.
I have a K-3 and nearly two dozen film cameras, but the K-50 is the camera I always grab when I'm heading out the door.

02-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Should I learn how to take cool pics with my point and shoot and only upgrade when I've proven myself?
Nope. You'll miss out on LBA (Lens Buying Addiction).
02-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Read the manual and I would suggest doing so going through the camera menu at the same time. Ask questions here there is a wealth of knowledge available.
You may want to check out a few of these they don't apply to Pentax per se but are practical to all dslrs;
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeu1p5jL9GOPjGt7Ker8FMNCTyEynb3ds
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeu1p5jL9GOMp6eXmAcXIASb8UE98_kO4
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeu1p5jL9GOP03BfkI80Pl2rt3TQ050lj
02-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

Just ordered a K-50 with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses, and it came with a free flash unit (B&H). I also got a super deal with the January rebates on a 55mm 1.8 prime lens. I'm super excited.

I couldn't find the introduction thread so I guess I'll try to make my introduction as on topic as possible. This is my first ever pentax camera. I fell in love with photography after taking a class in college and at that time I had a Canon Rebel XT which I got used and it was already about seven years old. Anyway I was learning all these cool things about photography but my point and shoot took better pictures than my DSLR!

My Canon ended up breaking so I have been without a DSLR for over a year now, and in that time my Wife and I had a baby so I was really wanting a camera to take nice pictures with. Seriously I've been having withdrawals... there's only so much you can do artistically with a point and shoot.

Anyway, I hope I like Pentax but I'm pretty sure I will. I've been researching cameras for the last year and there's a reason I chose this one (besides my budget).

Thanks!
Welcome Zephos. As the previous owner of a Canon T3i I think you are going to be quite impressed with the K-50 and that 1.8 50mm. Also, I have found the Pentax community to be a very knowledgable and helpful group of folks, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you need help with anything.

Again, Welcome!
02-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #11

I should have known to not say anything about the limits of point and shoots, as I have seen what they can do in the hands of someone who knows how to make great images with anything. Hmm... so is my new K-50 just going to be a crutch then?
Haha I was joking. I think we all fall under this. Enjoy the new camera!
02-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goodasgold Quote
Haha I was joking. I think we all fall under this. Enjoy the new camera!
Yeah don't worry I took it lightly. Thanks!