Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
This makes me believe that every lens has a purpose and something unique to offer, you just have to find it.
Bingo! In the days before the internet, people bought lenses and used them...then formed their own opinions. "Does this work for me or not?" Now, we have so much information available to us that we often make our mind up before we even try something! No matter what lens it is...or who made it...a massive team of people thought that lens was a good idea and decided it was worth the risk to market it. You just need to find what it was that they saw that convinced them this was a good idea.

02-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Bingo! In the days before the internet, people bought lenses and used them...then formed their own opinions. "Does this work for me or not?"
Pop Photo had a big influence before the Internet. Some of their opinions lasted into the Internet age. Look at reviews of the A 135/2.8 before DSLRs came along...
02-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevilcornevil Quote
... I need help.
No, you don't need help. You need to buy them all. Then move on to collect the FA Limited before the "bigger sensor" arrives.
02-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevilcornevil Quote
I need help.
Help, you say... we can help!

Well, you might be limiting yourself too much by acquiring only the DA primes. The world is much, much larger than that! You should look for the exquisite Takumar lenses (in their Auto, Super, S-M-C, and SMC variants). Then, after filling your shelf with, say, half a dozen 50's and a couple of wider lenses, work your way into the smc Pentax K line. Lots of great lenses to choose from there. I'd recommend picking up several K 50/1.2's and an 85 or two - you'll want to compare the copies. Then, move on to the Pentax M's, A's, and F's. See - it's easy!

(maybe this isn't what you meant by "help?" )

- Craig

02-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Help, you say... we can help!

Well, you might be limiting yourself too much by acquiring only the DA primes. The world is much, much larger than that! You should look for the exquisite Takumar lenses (in their Auto, Super, S-M-C, and SMC variants). Then, after filling your shelf with, say, half a dozen 50's and a couple of wider lenses, work your way into the smc Pentax K line. Lots of great lenses to choose from there. I'd recommend picking up several K 50/1.2's and an 85 or two - you'll want to compare the copies. Then, move on to the Pentax M's, A's, and F's. See - it's easy!

(maybe this isn't what you meant by "help?" )

- Craig
I did follow this advice when I was starting (except for the Takumar as I don't want to be bothered by adaptors.) I got the Ms, the As but later on sold them to avoid marital discord , and settled for the Ks. There's something about the Ks. I love them.
02-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
sold them to avoid marital discord
Ahhh... apparently you were not briefed on the standard tactics and techniques.

On the other hand, hmmm, now you've got me thinking maybe I've reached my limit. Maybe I should consider dumping a CZJ or Pentacon or two.
02-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pop Photo had a big influence before the Internet. Some of their opinions lasted into the Internet age. Look at reviews of the A 135/2.8 before DSLRs came along...
Well... that lens is a very unusual lens for Pentax. The flare resistance is worse than any lens I own, including non-Pentax lenses. And wide open it's useless in high contrast situations. Very un-Pentax. In those situations, it's an f4 lens (though the flares happen at any aperture). I keep mine as an indoors lens only, these days... out in the sun, it gets outperformed by my A 70-210 f4 in every way (the zoom has a bit more contrast, and just as sharp at 135 from f4 on).

I bet this tendency to flare made a lot of people mad in the film days, because it happens even when you don't see it at all in the viewfinder.

Just did that, and I liked a lot of the images! I'm actually getting excited to use the lens. I'm starting to see it as a challenge to make good images despite its limitations, and even find ways to use those limitations to my advantage. A video I watched had a lady talking about a photographer who made lots of money selling out of focus images... I mean nothing was in focus. This makes me believe that every lens has a purpose and something unique to offer, you just have to find it.
Here's something that will make you feel better. If you have 50 or so bucks laying around, look for one of these:
- SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1.7
- SMC Pentax 55mm f1.8 or f2 (I actually prefer the f2 - sharp and contrasty wide open, and otherwise the exact same lens)
These lenses are sharp wide open and and in the case of the 50mm 1.7, put just one click down (which will put it at about f2.3 by my shutter speed calculations - it's unmarked so not sure). Just one click down and it's as contrasty as it will get, the images are sharp, the DOF is shallow and the bokeh is beautiful. You will love this lens. I promise you! Same with the 55mm, it's a wonderful objects and portraits lens. The f2 has an advantage - to me - that it's stopped down just a tad compared to the f1.8, which gives it perfect contrast and sharpness. I love mine, paid 24 bucks for it last year from a reputed store that gives a 6-month warranty!

If you have about 60 or so, look for the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f2.8. It's a lens that some people don't care much for because there's a better (and much more expensive) 28mm f2 out there, and because some people like the colors and sharpness of the 28mm f3.5 better (it's a bit more expensive though). Either one will be joyful to use, but I find 2.8 is more useful, especially indoors. Also, put it on your camera and go out for a walk - it's the perfect walk around camera and at f8 it will give you results that will bring a smile to your face every time.

Another 50 or 60 bucks can buy you a SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f4 Macro. Not really a macro, but it focuses close (1:4) which makes it perfect for flowers. The pictures that come out of my copy always amaze me, especially because it has probably the best OOF (bokeh) of any lens I own - and I own a few primes. I can take a picture of grass or my mailbox or the bird house and the lens makes it look artsy. Imagine if I actually had talent for photography, the pictures I could be taking with it - and as a bonus, it works well for portraits in the 70-150mm range.

There's many other lenses you can buy for little money that will give you joy. I don't own the SMC-M 75-150mm f4 but I'd love to have it some day - it can take some breathtaking landscapes and nature pictures.

Also, look for Sears lenses from the 70s and 80s. Sears knew what they were doing and I don't think I've seen a bad Sears lens. They were either Chinon or Rikenon (Ricoh) made, and are usually cheaper than those brands. My Sears 50mm 1.7 is a perfect street lens if you don't want to get too close to your subjects, and the 50mm f2 that I bought for 10 dollars is probably the sharpest lens I own.

And I won't even get into the M42 world, I'm avoiding that downward spiral

There's lots to explore in Pentax land.

02-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well... that lens is a very unusual lens for Pentax. The flare resistance is worse than any lens I own, including non-Pentax lenses. And wide open it's useless in high contrast situations. Very un-Pentax. In those situations, it's an f4 lens (though the flares happen at any aperture). I keep mine as an indoors lens only, these days... out in the sun, it gets outperformed by my A 70-210 f4 in every way (the zoom has a bit more contrast, and just as sharp at 135 from f4 on).

I bet this tendency to flare made a lot of people mad in the film days, because it happens even when you don't see it at all in the viewfinder.
One of the early photo sites on the Internet doesn't mention flare at all...they say it isn't sharp. And it has 4 elements so obviously inferior.

Brief Comments
02-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Is it really LBA if all of the lenses are K-mount?
I'm not on a buying spree. I'm just trying to assemble a complete kit.
One complete kit for each camera body. With a bag, strap, filters...

My brother says that watching me re-arrange cameras and lenses in camera bags reminds him of his daughter playing dress-up with her Barbie dolls.

When you have bought and sold the same model of lens so often that you get your original copy back from ebay, THEN you have a problem.
02-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
... When you have bought and sold the same model of lens so often that you get your original copy back from ebay, THEN you have a problem.
Did that really happen?
02-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Is it really LBA if all of the lenses are K-mount?
I'm not on a buying spree. I'm just trying to assemble a complete kit.
One complete kit for each camera body. With a bag, strap, filters...

My brother says that watching me re-arrange cameras and lenses in camera bags reminds him of his daughter playing dress-up with her Barbie dolls.

When you have bought and sold the same model of lens so often that you get your original copy back from ebay, THEN you have a problem.
No, it is LBA when you have a roadmap of your lenses

I posted this a long time ago, believe me when I say it is much bigger list today

Today I have MF zooms, and AF zooms separated, as well as a whole new section for lenses in my Q kit, plus I have separated M42 from K mount, but both theses mounts have lists bigger than the primes selection in this roadmap. I think today I have about 65 lenses

02-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did follow this advice when I was starting (except for the Takumar as I don't want to be bothered by adaptors.) I got the Ms, the As but later on sold them to avoid marital discord , and settled for the Ks. There's something about the Ks. I love them.
^^^ This - although I've acquired the Three Princesses and say I've sold all my other cameras and lenses, all my K lenses are sitting on my For Sale shelf, in neat rows, all polished up and ready to shoot.

Funny the way I never seem to find the time to set up that Lightbox.
02-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
^^^ This - although I've acquired the Three Princesses and say I've sold all my other cameras and lenses, all my K lenses are sitting on my For Sale shelf, in neat rows, all polished up and ready to shoot.

Funny the way I never seem to find the time to set up that Lightbox.
With the FF now official, I doubt whether those Ks will still be "For Sale"
02-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the FF now official, I doubt whether those Ks will still be "For Sale"
With the expected prices of the FF and the new lenses (maybe 6 - 8 of them through 2016) I also doubt the K lenses will stay on my FS shelf very long.

Lot of money for what are essentially toys though.
02-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I'm new to this. I thought it was funny the first time I saw someone mention LBA and I realized what it meant...

Now It's not so funny.

Why did I buy this?

Takumar-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I only paid around $40 for it, and I think I wanted to use it with a extension tube (gutted TC) to enhance the mag for macro photography, but now the reviews have really given me buyers remorse.

Why can't every lens be amazing? Should I even care about reviews?
I always find that things have "more depth" to them when you discover them by yourself .
Congratulations... you are a photographer now !