Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens/Camera combination at pop concert?

So I'm going to a music concert this weekend. Last time I was at one, I didn't bring my camera because there were statements about people not being allowed to take photos. Yet, the whole night people were taking out their camera phones etc.

So often my friends post on facebook etc of the concerts they've been to. I've looked around on the venue site and on the artist's page but I don't see a photography policy?

I'm starting to think that perhaps I have misunderstood what it means these days by not being allowed to take photos. Is it simply that you're not allowed to make money on the photos you take? Is it a dslr aka 'professional' camera vs a p&s/smartphone?

If it's the latter, I'm wondering if I could get away with sneaking a Q in my handbag (although I have never been happy with shots taken with it in dark spaces). Or should I just give up and enjoy the show?

02-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe No Flash is the strongest prohibition. No humongous lens is the second. Something like a 135mm might get you in, but be prepared to either leave or give up your camera to the security morons. Depends also on where your seat is. If close and you paid the big bucks, you might make it in. They really really hate video pirates. Just saying. If it was me, I would leave my cam at home and enjoy the concert.
02-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wolfiegirl, at times they've looked at my gear and refused to admit me unless I left it at cloaking. I've had one baffled bouncer actually ask me if it was professional or not. I've seen a supervisor tell his staff it was all about the length of lens.

So have a backup plan - bring a shorter lens as an alternative if you run into a 'stickler'.

And the Q as a backup backup plan. :-)
02-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Whatever you do, don't enjoy the show!

If you're close enough (like I was last time - 5th row on the center isle) take a video of just one song - maybe two. Take a dozen or so photos. The rest of the time just "be where you are!"

Oh, yes - I only took my Olympus XZ-1 and my iPhone. Not cumbersome, and no problem getting them in.

---------- Post added 02-03-15 at 02:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
If it's the latter, I'm wondering if I could get away with sneaking a Q in my handbag (although I have never been happy with shots taken with it in dark spaces).
Do you have the 06 lens? This is where it should come in handy.

02-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, no 06 lens just the 02.

We are waaaay up the back. Very last tickets!!

My options are the q, k-01, k-50 or my samsung s5 mobile. But i think the k-50 will be too loud for my purposes.

I don't really have anything that is long and fast (to compensate for dark interiors and no flash). in fact my 135 is f4. :/

My sigma 17-70 is pretty fast but it's so big.. can't exactly hide that in a handbag... well you can but it's heavy and cumbersome
02-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Call the venue to confirm the policy. It is sometimes between the venue and artist policies.

I was second row at the LA Greek Theater a while back. They asked me at the gate if the lens was detachable (31mm limited and k5iis). I feel that if I'd said it wasn't, they would have let me take it in. So if I wasn't stupid there I would have got lucky. Just make sure they can either check it for you (and you are ok with that) or you can hand it off to someone or put back in your car.

It kind of pissed me off. Dozens of people had compacts, bridge cameras, and phone cameras with flashes firing constantly.

Nothing wrong with bringing a good camera if allowed. You can certainly still enjoy the show. Also, they may check all bags if you try to sneak it.
02-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
We are waaaay up the back. Very last tickets!!
I understand. That's closer to what I usually get. Those fifth-row, center-isle seats happened to be the best seats I've had for a major concert.

In this case I think what you need on the Q is the SMC Pentax-FA* 600mm F4 ED [IF] FTC (Felix The Cat edition - collapses to fit in a small bag)!

02-04-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by langkata Quote
It kind of pissed me off. Dozens of people had compacts, bridge cameras, and phone cameras with flashes firing constantly.

Nothing wrong with bringing a good camera if allowed. You can certainly still enjoy the show. Also, they may check all bags if you try to sneak it.
Yeah that's what annoyed me at other concerts. They say no cameras then everyone sneaks in their camera and takes shotS while goody two shoes me left my camera behind in the car. Like wtf.... lol

You just never know, do you? And even if you do sneak it in, are they going to catch you? You end up being more nervous about it than actually enjoying the show. You can't win sometimes.

Haha @dsims. Felix the cat indeed