Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tired of getting burnt

So far I have purchased 6 lenses used and two brand new. I have only bought one from this marketplace and it has not yet shown up so I can't speak for its condition yet.

4 of the others have had issues not disclosed by the seller. Some minor but others quite noticeable and functionally altering the lens. The last one I bought the lens hood mount on both the hood and the lens are broken and neither were mentioned prior!! The seller even had the lenses inspected by a quite reputable retailer of pentax gear. I was told by them the lens looked brand new! What??

The two lenses I bought new were babies to no end by me and sold as new condition and the buyers raved about their condition when they received them. Is it just me or am I the only one who tried to disclose every minute detail of an item I sell. I would be mortified if a buyer received an item of mine in the condition I have received some of these.

Last edited by jayman_1975; 02-04-2015 at 08:54 AM.
02-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think your experience is not normal. A broken hood should appear in the photo and description, however.

You did not mention what recourse you took with the sellers, so this is somewhat meaningless at the moment.
02-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I guess I'm an idiot cause I take people's word too often. The first time it happened was a functional issue that never showed up in pics. The deal with the lens hood was a two lens deal bought from a working professional photographer who offered to take them to the local pentax retailer for close inspection for my peace of mind. Therefor I didn't request pics.

He did say that the filter cover thingy was missing from the hood so I expected that but I didn't expect a quarter of the mount on the hood to be broken off as well as a 1/2" piece broken off the hood mount right on the lens. He had already dropped the price by $20 to account for he missing filter cover and has now offered to give me back an additional $25 to cover the cost of a new hood but what about the cost of sending the lens to Ricoh to have the hood mount replaced as I don't think I can do this on my own (correct me if I'm wrong).

I guess my question is how much of a stink would most of you put up? Would anyone call that retailer and tear them a new one? I know It wouldn't do any good unless I threatened to slander them but I don't really want to open up that can of worms.

Last edited by jayman_1975; 02-04-2015 at 09:12 AM.
02-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ebay? Far worse quality than claimed is not uncommon. Marketplace buys I have made have been exactly as described.

02-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No not ebay. I don't really want to say because i have bought other non photography related items before with no problems
02-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Marketplace buys I have made have been exactly as described."

This has been my experience as well! All of my equipment has come from members here; and every piece was exactly as described; or in even better condition. All of mine look brand new! I did buy a used monopod (demo) from B&H, again; couldn't tell it from new.

If buying from EBay, etc., I would not take a chance on the word of a stranger. For instance, did the "professional photographer" include a written statement for the photo store, as to the condition, or did he simply say he did this?

Also, if you paid by credit card or PayPal, you do have recourse, if items are broken, not as described.

Last edited by csa; 02-04-2015 at 09:25 AM.
02-04-2015, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Keep it simple... return and get your money back if you are unhappy with the product. By how you describe the broken hood, it sounds like most probably those lenses were dropped or they took a serious knock. I would not trust them much...

From ebay, these things happen but I never forgive the seller - I return and get my money back or open a dispute if needed.
From here, PentaxForums market, I've never purchased anything, but I do know there is a feedback option. Black flag that specific seller if the items are not as described and seller refuses to settle for a compensation.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-04-2015 at 09:43 AM.
02-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Keep it simple... return and get your money back if you are unhappy with the product. By how you describe the broken hood, it sounds like most probably those lenses were dropped or they took a serious knock. I would not trust them much...

From ebay, this things happen but I never forgive the seller - I return and get my money back or open a dispute if needed.
From here, PentaxForums market, I've never purchased anything, but I do know there is a feedback option. Black flag that specific seller if the items are not as described and seller refuses to settle for a compensation.
There isn't a mark anywhere else that would indicate a fall or hard knock. And the lens itself works perfectly and is otherwise fabulous
02-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
the lens hood mount on both the hood and the lens are broken
There isn't a mark anywhere else that would indicate a fall or hard knock. And the lens itself works perfectly and is otherwise fabulous
If you drop the lens on the ground with the hood on, and the hood hits the ground first, the hood will absorb most of the shock and not a lot of evidence will be on the lens - except the broken mount - that doesn't mean that internally something didn't got misaligned. If mount is broken on the lens, that to me sounds like a serious hit. But if you are happy with the lens... is your decision in the end.
02-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you didn't get what you paid for, send it back. Negotiate with the seller, not with your peace-of-mind.
Also, if you want a lens that looks and performs like new, its probably better to buy it new.
Buying used gear is like rescuing cats - some are feral and need shots.
02-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
If you drop the lens on the ground with the hood on, and the hood hits the ground first, the hood will absorb most of the shock and not a lot of evidence will be on the lens - except the broken mount - that doesn't mean that internally something didn't got misaligned. If mount is broken on the lens, that to me sounds like a serious hit. But if you are happy with the lens... is your decision in the end.
Good point. I'm going to see if the seller will work with me kn getting the hood mounts fixed and while its at Ricoh I'll ask them what it takes to do a complete mechanical inspection. I did notice that I can't get it to properly calibrate AF on my K5II but it's dead on with my K3
02-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did say that the filter cover thingy was missing from the hood so I expected that but I didn't expect a quarter of the mount on the hood to be broken off
I did notice that I can't get it to properly calibrate AF on my K5II but it's dead on with my K3
Sounds like you should return it for a full refund.

FWIW I had a camera shop sell a lense, on behalf for me, that it was 3 years old, in very good condition with mint box and all paperwork.
The camera shop sold it as a "new lense that was old stock" which I thought was stretching the truth somewhat.
02-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
4 of the others have had issues not disclosed by the seller. Some minor but others quite noticeable and functionally altering the lens. The last one I bought the lens hood mount on both the hood and the lens are broken and neither were mentioned prior!! The seller even had the lenses inspected by a quite reputable retailer of pentax gear. I was told by them the lens looked brand new! What??
Firstly I have to say that I had my share of the same experiences. Lenses bought with fungus, not focusing to infinity, oily aperture or sticky/gritty focusing - just to name few. Main component of all those purchases was 'bargain' - that's it , I tried fish up something really good for much less than normally available from dealers or reputable sellers for a buy it now price. So I went for auctions of those old 'my late fathers camera' , or from 'I don't know much about photography' sellers - and the results were nearly 9 out of 10 an utter disappointement. Finally after few years of such mistakes I simple started deciding and researching what is good and they I simple bought those, not trying to fish a bargain but to buy what I want to use. 9 out of 10 - success. Items are as described, no issues , etc. sometime an odd case of something being not as decribed but usually very minor or easilly solvable with seller. My advice is - decide what you need and then just buy it - but go for reputable sellers with 100% feedback, and no exception there - in case an odd negative or neutral - research WHY - see the comment, perhaps it was a mistake resolved. Also - VERY IMPORTANT - check how many REVISED feedback seller has - I prefer those with ZERO - that means there was no negatives or neutral comments revised , which translates basically to 'seller never tried to hide a fault and everybody was happy'. One or two revised feedbacks are acceptable, but some sellers have like 10 , 20 or more - those I simple avoid .

Good luck hunting for those lucky buys where everything goes smoothly !
02-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Firstly I have to say that I had my share of the same experiences. Lenses bought with fungus, not focusing to infinity, oily aperture or sticky/gritty focusing - just to name few. Main component of all those purchases was 'bargain' - that's it , I tried fish up something really good for much less than normally available from dealers or reputable sellers for a buy it now price. So I went for auctions of those old 'my late fathers camera' , or from 'I don't know much about photography' sellers - and the results were nearly 9 out of 10 an utter disappointement. Finally after few years of such mistakes I simple started deciding and researching what is good and they I simple bought those, not trying to fish a bargain but to buy what I want to use. 9 out of 10 - success. Items are as described, no issues , etc. sometime an odd case of something being not as decribed but usually very minor or easilly solvable with seller. My advice is - decide what you need and then just buy it - but go for reputable sellers with 100% feedback, and no exception there - in case an odd negative or neutral - research WHY - see the comment, perhaps it was a mistake resolved. Also - VERY IMPORTANT - check how many REVISED feedback seller has - I prefer those with ZERO - that means there was no negatives or neutral comments revised , which translates basically to 'seller never tried to hide a fault and everybody was happy'. One or two revised feedbacks are acceptable, but some sellers have like 10 , 20 or more - those I simple avoid .

Good luck hunting for those lucky buys where everything goes smoothly !
It was from a website in Canada called Kijiji. Like craigslist I guess. No feedback system. Sadly there was no discussion of return policy and now the seller seems to be ignoring me. He mentioned he used to own the whole line up of pentax lenses at one time but has moved to Canon now. Sadly he was probably a member here at one time. I just talked to Ricoh and they want $160 labor just to change the God mount on the lens plus the cost of the part so I guess I learned a lesson this time. Always get good pics.
02-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It was from a website in Canada called Kijiji. Like craigslist I guess. No feedback system. Sadly there was no discussion of return policy and now the seller seems to be ignoring me. He mentioned he used to own the whole line up of pentax lenses at one time but has moved to Canon now. Sadly he was probably a member here at one time. I just talked to Ricoh and they want $160 labor just to change the God mount on the lens plus the cost of the part so I guess I learned a lesson this time. Always get good pics.
If your payment was made with PayPal - you are still covered and can open a dispute there. It is worth a try I guess - they will looks into it and usually side with the buyer if the evidence is sound.