Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I still see this erroneous spelling (LENSE) all over the internet. Why does it make me cringe?

Capital punishment is probably the only solution, UncleVanya - but it can be fixed!

09-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had forgotten how funny this thread is - and how rarely such banter appears on the Forum these days.

Lens. Meh.

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

Last edited by monochrome; 09-11-2016 at 05:52 PM.
09-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Lens or Lenses, Guess it comes down to how the manufacturer's? spell their products. I have never heard of anyone referring to their camera len, so there must be an 'S' in there somewhere. whether singular or plural. Ironic, I have just taken a book out of the local library titled " The Lens Book".

Please,,,,, no one start on correct grammer/gramma/saying stuff properly.
09-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Lens or Lenses, Guess it comes down to how the manufacturer's? spell their products. I have never heard of anyone referring to their camera len, so there must be an 'S' in there somewhere. whether singular or plural. Ironic, I have just taken a book out of the local library titled " The Lens Book".

I can't tell you how many times I have seen an eBay seller offer a 'Len' for sale; just slightly less often than I have seen a 'Lense' for sale.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-19-2016 at 04:27 AM.
09-11-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

I think it shall be "lenz" for me now... Just because.
09-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yule ring similes to my vase.
09-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Or even "grammar"

When I was working with Bangladeshi engineers in Saudi Arabia, they'd often give me (a technical officer) their documents to proofread. I'd make corrections to their grammar but I'd always explain why. They were very keen to learn to improve their written work. Their spoken English was usually quite good.

These days on fora, I look at the location of the poster if I see issues. However, often they are in countries where English is the main language and one is never sure whether English is a second language for them. The USA and Australia (and some other English speaking countries) have large immigrant populations where English is their second language.

Re spelling, as I've said on other fora, "I can spell but I can't weld". Many others can weld but can't spell and they'd laugh at my chicken-droppings that I call welds.

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2016 at 16:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can't tell you how many times I have seen an eBay seller offer a 'Len' for sale; just slightly less often that I have seen a 'Lense' for sale.
I've seen a number of adverts in the USA for "pant", not "pants". I occasionally wear pants.
09-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #83
Veteran Member

According to my library book The Lens Book by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz, 1994, they use the word 'Lens' when referring to a single lens and 'Lenses' when referring to multiple lenses.

09-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

According to my library book The Lens Book by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz, 1994, they use the word 'Lens' when referring to a single lens and 'Lenses' when referring to multiple lenses.
The plural lenses seems to be shortened to lense often... That's where this started.
09-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #85
Veteran Member

If enough people call a spade a duck for long enough, it's officially called a duck. It is through oft-repeated errors such as this that English has evolved into the wonderfully versatile mongrel that it is is today.

For example: If anyone has ever seen a snake in the long grass, you might be interested to know it was once spelled 'a nadder' and through perfectly understandable error, morphed into 'an adder'. But grammar nazis would be quick to jump on anyone who used the original rather than the 'correct' error.
09-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Or even "grammar"

Re spelling, as I've said on other fora, "I can spell but I can't weld". Many others can weld but can't spell and they'd laugh at my chicken-droppings that I call welds.

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2016 at 16:06 ----------

I've seen a number of adverts in the USA for "pant", not "pants". I occasionally wear pants.
In England that would be interpreted as saying that you sometimes dress like Batman (not the one they named stuff after in Melbourne.)
09-19-2016, 02:59 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"For now we see through a glass, darkly."
Unless the Glass in question is a Noctilux.