Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Going to Disney. Use the K-3 or quality P&S?

I'm taking the family to Disney in mid/late June and I have a dilemma with how to document the "once-in-a-lifetime" trip. I'd like to use my K-3 but I have concerns. Pros are that it is a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip that should be "documented" in the best possible way, i.e with the K-3 and quality lens. I do have the flexibility of using a couple smaller prime lenses as opposed to a larger zoom. Cons would be a larger, heavy camera to lug around in the hot humid climate of Florida in mid/late June at Disney. Pros for a P&S (I have a WG-3 and Olympus TG-3) would be compactness and waterproof/shockproof (K-3 is only weatherproof with a WR lens). I'm going to take both on the vacation, but I'm looking for others' experiences/suggestions when it comes to going to Disney (or any theme park) and the best option to take. I'm kind of leaning towards a P&S since it would allow me to be more comfortable and enjoy the real reason we are there, to spend time as a family and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime event. I don't want to strictly be a photographer while at Disney, I want to be a husband & father foremost, then a photographer. Maybe I just answered my own question as I'm typing this but need a little confirmation to put the K-3 on the back-burner for a couple days.

Your thoughts, experiences and input are greatly appreciated.

02-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live about ten miles from DisneyWorld and I wear my K-3 all over the place. Summer is hot and muggy, but the mosquitos are worse than the humidity.

I have done Disney with a Sony P&S - it is nice that it can be put in a cargo-pocket. I have also done it with my K-50 around my neck. I brought the DA18-135 for versatility and the DA15 Limited for its starburst lens flare at night. Once I put the DA15 on the camera, I never took it off again. It is officially my Disney lens now.

When not shooting pictures, I flip the camera upside-down and sling it across my shoulder so it hangs lens-down. Even the DA*50-135 travels easily this way.
02-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I have done Disney with a Sony P&S - it is nice that it can be put in a cargo-pocket. I have also done it with my K-50 around my neck. I brought the DA18-135 for versatility
I have the 18-135 which I thought about using, and recently acquired the 50-135. Between the two, obviously the 50-135 has much better IQ, but would 50mm be wide enough? I could through in my 21 Limited for any potential wide shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
When not shooting pictures, I flip the camera upside-down and sling it across my shoulder so it hangs lens-down. Even the DA*50-135 travels easily this way.
I was planning on getting a Black Rapid strap and use it in this way. I have a generic version, that works well, but I've come to the conclusion that I higher-quality strap would be best.
02-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would bring the K-3 and 18-135. It'll probably do 98% of what you want to shoot and the high ISO capability of the K-3 will overcome any shortcomings of the slower lens. Bring the P&Ss for the wife.

02-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also popped my Sigma 30/1.4 in my bag. Invaluable for indoors in darker places.
02-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Bring the P&Ss for the wife.
Yes, bring the Toy Camera for your wife...and she will get more and better shots than you do because Toy Cameras excel at fast opportunities.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/257...fess-here.html

Regards!
02-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I have the 18-135 which I thought about using, and recently acquired the 50-135. Between the two, obviously the 50-135 has much better IQ, but would 50mm be wide enough? I could through in my 21 Limited for any potential wide shots.
If by "documenting" you essentially mean taking family pictures, then the 18-135 is definitely what I'd bring. The 21 can be in a pocket for those unique moments, for night shots (fireworks etc). I love how it renders but in all honesty, when moving around with the kids a zoom is just too convenient. I can't bring myself to trust only one focal length in those situations.

I was planning on getting a Black Rapid strap and use it in this way. I have a generic version, that works well, but I've come to the conclusion that I higher-quality strap would be best.
I was going to suggest something like that. Have a look at the Op/tech stuff. I got many elements in their modular system for Christmas, and couldn't be happier. Specifically, I got the sling (with reversing clips since I have the camera hanging on my left side), plus the backpack anchors which let me loose the strap itself when carrying a backpack (fantastic!) and the regular extensions to turn the "pro" strap (I preferred its red colour option) into a standard neck strap.

02-06-2015, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

On my recent trip to Disney World, the breakdown with each lens was:
52.2% with Sigma 18-35
8.6% with FA50
17.4% with the Legendary FA77
13.1% with Sigma 70-200 or Pentax F70-210

The shots at 70+ mm were pretty much concentrated in single spots:
100% of the shots with the 70-200 were at the Animal Kingdom
~90% of the shots with the 70-210 were taken during the Beauty and the Beast show at Hollywood Studios
~75% of the shots with the FA77 were taken during a Harry Potter puppet shot at Universal Studios

Hope that helps you figure out what you will need!
02-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This is an excellent question that plagues many...including myself. I have a K-5, K10D, Km and a whole host of lenses.

Photography is an addiction for me and among my too many cameras of different makes/types, I also have a small, but also relatively sophisticated advanced compact, a Canon G 12. The G12 takes great pictures, but I have to admit when I pixel peep the G12's photographs, although pretty good... they don't compare to my DSLR pix. I know...much smaller sensor, unfair to compare, but there it is.

So, when I get down to it, I have come to the realization that high resolution, excellent photographs are important to me. Anyone making the decision about what camera/lenses to take....has to come to this decision and make their mind up.

What's important to you ?

But on the other hand, when traveling, I'm conscious of extra weight, size...will it be easy to be a ' carry on' on an airplane.

So my decision...take my smallest, lightest DSLR...the Pentax Km with the 18-135, 360 flash, maybe my 55-300.

If I'm really pressed for space, weight, size.... I've got 3 Limiteds...21, 40, 70...so if need be, I could dispense with the 18-135/55-300 and just take the small Km and the three tiny Limiteds....sans 360 flash and just use the in Km camera flash.

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-06-2015 at 10:40 AM.
02-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm kind of leaning towards a P&S since it would allow me to be more comfortable and enjoy the real reason we are there, to spend time as a family and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime event. I don't want to strictly be a photographer while at Disney, I want to be a husband & father foremost, then a photographer.
How old are your kids and how many? Do you have a lot of bags to carry around-- like diaper bags or other backpacks? You may not want to schlep a K-3 all around when you could be enjoying the moment. I'd go for the Olympus TG-3 for the convenience, portability and waterproof capability.

That said, I went to LegoLand Florida last year and used my K-50 plus DA 15 and DA 40. (It was a little inconvenient to carry around the camera bag along with a diaper bag for my 2 year old) My DA 15 was used for most of the shots. Wide-angle is definitely nice to have at an amusement park, so the compact P&S might not be much help there.
02-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
How old are your kids and how many? Do you have a lot of bags to carry around-- like diaper bags or other backpacks? You may not want to schlep a K-3 all around when you could be enjoying the moment. I'd go for the Olympus TG-3 for the convenience, portability and waterproof capability.
They will be 5 (son) & 7 (daughter), so no diaper bags. Probably just bring some water, snacks and maybe a light lunch. At least one day, my in-laws will be coming with us so maybe then would be a good day for the K-3.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
That said, I went to LegoLand Florida last year and used my K-50 plus DA 15 and DA 40.
If time permits we'd like to take the kids to LegoLand as well. They have both been obsessed with Legos for the past year. Of course by June, they may be on to something else.
02-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll echo a vote for a "vacation zoom" like the DA 18-135mm. IQ is great and it's WR sealed which helps. Take an additional lens for low light. The DA 40mm XS could be a good choice because it is fast enough at f/2.8 and small. Also consider the DA 35mm f/2.4. These lenses are "cheap" compared to a Limited and you probably wouldn't feel as bad if they accidentally get damaged. This is what I did for the family trip to Lego Land last year.

The looks I got from the crowd when I followed my kids around in the water park with my K-30 + DA 18-135mm was priceless.

IMGP7428
by Never Off, on Flickr

"Sir, your camera! It's wet!" / "Oh, that's OK. It's a Pentax." / *stunned silence*

I would avoid changing lenses if you can. It's one thing to do it on a walk-about but it's a whole different story when done in super crowded places with kids running all over.
02-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If time permits we'd like to take the kids to LegoLand as well. They have both been obsessed with Legos for the past year. Of course by June, they may be on to something else.
Legoland is a lot of fun and less crowded than DisneyWorld, so the wait in line for rides is not as bad. There are also a lot of beautiful green spaces -- an entire section that is a botanical garden. I'd recommend a trip (for a day) if you have time. Also, I got my tickets at Costco and saved a bundle. AAA also has some discounts but not as good as Costco.

Have a fun trip!
02-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm probably one of the outliers - I'd recommend taking either of your P&S cameras (or both) and leaving the DSLR at home, for the reasons you outlined in your OP. They are compact, rugged, and decent P&S, and will produce plenty of good pictures that your family will enjoy on the screen or in print. Furthermore, you could take movies/videos. Other members of your family could also use it (even the kids) for the occasional shot. No worries.

I think you're on the right track in thinking this will be a special family vacation, not a photo expedition for which image quality is paramount.

- Craig
02-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have carried SLR's around amusement parks. I won't again. They're big and heavy and at the end of the day, feel like they weigh 1000 pounds. I bought a Samsung 35mm P&S (film) with a 38-145 zoom back in the early 90's for just those kind of places. The photos were awesome and were every bit as good as anything I was getting from my SLR's. There was a 12 year difference between our 2nd and 3rd kid and I had learned my lesson the hard way after carrying around a Spotmatic and a bag of lenses at various theme parks every summer vacation with the 2 older girls. By the time the third came along, I was a P&S guy! I now carry a Lumix LF1 and the dreaded iPhone for vacation snapshots. Yes, my DSLR isn't far away and I can always walk back to the car if I want it.