Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Doing a Von Wong!

Well I have done a couple of photoshoots experimenting with off camera flash (new to it) and inspired by Ben Von Wong and his make ordinary people look sporty (google von wong athletic). It has been great watching people with self esteem and body issues go WOW! I have made this an ongoing project because of the positive aspects. I am a serious amateur and what a great experience in empowering people! Well, Von Wong has invited me to assist in a shoot next week and hell yeah!

Last edited by Parallax; 02-10-2015 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Personal link removed
02-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats! hope you enjoy it!!! :-)
02-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
Von Wong has invited me to assist in a shoot next week
Good for you... enjoy the experience and then come back here and tell us all about it.
02-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats!

02-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great job! I love Von Wong's original set, and I think you did a great job with the spinoff.

A question about getting to meet him: Did he see your set and go "this guy should assist me some time" or did you approach him?

Either way, that's awesome! You should follow up next week after the assist.
02-25-2015, 01:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A ton of people replied to his request for assistants so I didn't bother. The following day I saw a whole bunch more people had applied and basically reading their comments not one said what they were prepared to do, so a friend and I posted we would be prepared to do anything, even empty poo buckets . Next day, My assistants are... I will get some pics up soon. Admin has removed my link to the album, will sort something else out.

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Great job! I love Von Wong's original set, and I think you did a great job with the spinoff.

A question about getting to meet him: Did he see your set and go "this guy should assist me some time" or did you approach him?

Either way, that's awesome! You should follow up next week after the assist.

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 04:51 PM ----------

Here is a gopro timelapse

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 05:05 PM ----------

02-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So,what did I take away from this amazing adventure? Bucketloads of enthusiasm and a whole lot of new knowledge about lighting, a very new area for me. Ben is one of those rare individuals that genuinely cares for people and willing to share knowledge with indepth and concise, considered answers. Watching him work under such adverse conditions. Wind, sand and 38 degrees celcius, it took 3 of us to hold the broncolor. Model was late, costume didn't turn up the day before, video guys hit a kangaroo and the sun was past the killer shot moments at sunrise. Any other photographer would have packed up and gone home! He was just poetry in motion to behold. Perfect communication with the model, every few minutes he would check on the light holders to see if we needed to swap out for a break and despite everything he got killer shots. It was a nine hour drive for this opportunity, I would have crawled on my hands and knees!

---------- Post added 02-26-15 at 11:53 AM ----------

If you want to see just how this guy works the cheap camera challenge is worth a look.