Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree about combining your other hobbies with photography. Works for me anyway. Cycling, skiing, art, pets, kids, whatever you are into. Figure out how to make compelling images of these things (or about them).

02-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Have you tried printing you photos? Taking photographs is only half the course.
03-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography has been a part of my life since I was a kid. It is not my only hobby but my camera is always close and I'm snapping off pictures all the time, even if it's just with my iPhone. While I'm not a musician, I have other things in my life like hiking, skiing, motorcycles, kayaking, etc. I still do all these things seasonally and I'm still shooting photos too.

A little advice from and old fart. Life is short so get the most out of it. If you want to play music, go for it! Any other hobbies or interests too. Use your camera to capture it all so your kids and grandkids can look at it all and I highly recommend wed7's advice about printing your shots.

BTW, photography is one of the "cheaper" hobbies in my life.
07-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Follow your passion. 20 years ago I had a wet process darkroom and was immersed in photography daily.
15 years ago I found ceramics and made a career out of it. A little less than a year ago the shutterbug reawoke
inside me. Thus far, no lack of passion for the clay either, so greatly looking forward to melding the two.
Greetings all,

My issue is not becoming bored with photography, in fact the opposite is true since I recently entered the world of digital photography. My problem is, I do not have any places to go and shoot. It seems as though this adage is true: Been there, done that. I live in Oregon, perhaps one of the most beautiful places to live, however I feel as though I have photographed every square inch of the Oregon coast along with the Cascade Mountain Range. I actually have the last photo of Mt. St. Helens before she blew her top back in 1980. My wife and I have been discussing the possibility of taking a cruise ship up to Alaska, but what about afterwards? Anyway, any input will be greatly appreciated. And by the way, this Pentax k100d Super is really a lean, mean, machine. Cannot get enough of it. Thanks, Tonytee.

07-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Hey!
I've had photography as my main hobby for about 6 years. A year and a half ago, though, i started playing guitar, and i've already collected a bunch of gear. My girlfriend brought to my attention something that i had already noticed : i haven't been so excited about photography anymore. I still like the idea of taking photos, but i used to spend hours and hours everyday going through my old shots, editing them and all. Now i kind of lost that. I wanna try to get it back, and i believe that maybe changing my kit would help me with that.
Anyone out there experienced the same as me? I'm thinking about getting perhaps a M4/3 camera with some top-notch lenses instead of having a bunch of average and some top-notch lenses.
Well, anything you have to say would be helpful.
Thanks!
I had the exact same issue... Twice. It has proven to me to be a feeling that just comes and goes. First time I "panicked" and added some gear to my kit. Which actually did help. But the second time, three years later, I did nothing to recover (because I didn't even care anymore) and the enthusiasm came back on itself.

What started bumming me out about photography was the fact that I saw beautiful shots everywhere that I went in everyday life. The sun going up whilst commuting to work, things at work, the girl behind the bar with the spectacular light hitting her from the left, the atmosphere in the restaurant, everywhere where I went I saw photo-oppertunities whilst my excellent -but giant- kit was at home in the cupboard. And I was stranded with my phone. I got myself an A7r and attached an old crusty pancake lens to with a small adapter and put it in my laptop bag. It would even fit in my jacket pocket. Together with two bigger lenses that live in the trunk of my car, I didn't have to let the daily beautiful oppertunities escape me anymore. I still have my DSLR kit, still use it when I actually plan photography. (Which is never.) It's like putting on a flotation vest everytime I'm near water and expect to fall in. It doesn't happen when I'm all rigged up and ready for it. I need to be able to swim when I'm caught by surprise. The gear should not limit me.

The second time, my other hobby just got more important. I can only serve one master fully. My reef aquarium needed attention and some investment. What was a thriving tank stacked with rapidly growing rare and colourfull corals for over ten years, suddenly started crashing. Turning that crash around proved to be a big challenge. And giving up is never an option for me. Currently I'm in the tail of the issue. I've only lost one coral colony. Speedy growth and colour has come back. I'm even selling frags again. (It used to fund my LBA completely! DFA100, DA35ltd, DFA50 1.4, FA43ltd all funded 100% with selling coral frags.) The system is super stable again, giving me time for other things to pick up again. Like photography.

Another thing that bugged me then was the fact that I did less and less with my final pictures. My house is full, my walls are covered. My best work is on my walls, printed in high res on plexiglass sheets. The longest sides are two meters! I love them, they are so detailed that it's like pixel peeping an entire picture at once. The FF sensor really does make a difference here. But it's full, and the prints cost me over ~300 dollars a pop. And whilst impressive, they're still analog. They're just prints. By now, in 2015, I would have expected a good digital alternative for printing. Like a digital, high resolution, true colour, E-ink photoframes of at least a meter hanging against the wall. With no border or frame, because that can be displayed and customized as well, if desired. And when the format of the picture doesn't match the frame, it should just display the exact same colour of the wall it's hanging on to fill up the empty spaces. That may seem like science fiction, but cameras nowadays are of that level. If the output side had kept up with the camera we would be right there. But the output side of photography is still firmly standing with both feet in the analog age. So, I sometimes have no idea why I take a picture and spend hours processing them just the right way. Why? To look at them on my laptop from time to time? This issue hasn't resolved itself yet. I still take pictures, process them and post them on Facebook and Flickr. Like collecting stamps. It's kind of sad.

Anyway, sorry for the rant! Whatever you do, don't just get rid of your gear unless you really have to. Your interest is bound to come back.

Last edited by Clavius; 07-16-2015 at 02:05 AM.
07-16-2015, 05:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I get inspired by these 2 books :
* Creative 52 - Weekly Projects to Invigorate Your Photography Portfolio
* Picture Perfect Practice
It's a bout creativity and vision, maybe you get bored because you are out of idea I get excited each time I had new ideas to try, or a new technique to learn ^^ and if I don't have enough idea to start with, I ask the members here, ex : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/296355-what-c...speedlite.html then experimenting each suggestion ! it's great to see/learn new things everyday
07-16-2015, 05:47 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happens to everybody. It could be because you are stuck in a rut taking pictures of the same old things. If possible do some traveling, even if you have to drive or take public transportation. Check out some new venues that you have never experienced before. New equipment might help, but is not required.

07-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Take the cruise and get off the ship as fast and as far as you can. There's so much to see in Alaska and so many ways to do it, especially if you love the outdoors.
07-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I get excited when I can't see anything..... I know then that I will soon see something in a new way that has eluded me to that point..... mainly because I haven't been open to it.
07-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #40
Pentaxian

To the OP : take some photos of your guitars...
07-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take a walk around and really "see" opportunities to shoot. I try different lenses, and get excited all over again, about photography! Right now I'm on the macro kick right in my own yard.
07-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or get a ND filter or IR filter or a Lens Baby to change up your look and workflow.
07-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey guys...i got a new camera and some new lenses just to complete my kit, and now i've realized that music is simply a hobby that i will be able to spend more time in, because photography is kind of circumstantial, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I still take some time almost everyday to edit some old photos and see if i can get a new vision on them, but i still love photography very much. When i do get chances to take photos, it's still just as much fun, but most of the time i'll be at home without anything to take pictures of, so there's where my guitars come in.
07-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get the DA*16-50 and 50-135.
Those two lenses alone will get you great results.
The 50-135 always delivers.

As for the other parts of your "funk", switch genres.
Do some video.
Take a photography vacation.

It's rare a funk lasts long with me.
07-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #45
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Or get a ND filter or IR filter or a Lens Baby to change up your look and workflow.
A Lensbaby will definitely make you see your world anew, wherever you live