Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 10:51 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using what I have...

I got home late this evening - stayed a bit late at work to get a document out for review. Upon getting home, I grabbed some left over dinner and pursed the forum while I ate. I watched the Pentax Q&A video and read a few threads on some of the new stuff. .... interesting...

Am I excited? - well for the folks who have been waiting for ever on the Full Frame body, I am - for them. For me - well, I have tomorrow off and I am excited about possibly getting up early and going to shoot the sunrise out in the Mountain Preserve (aka "the desert"). Perhaps some cactus halos - or whatever I happen to come across. I have some different ideas and approaches I want to try. The more I shoot, the better I get - and now is the time to do it, before it gets really hot here - its already 80 out during the day.

Essentially, I am excited about shooting with what I have. I really don't need any more glass, actually I need to reduce some of my lenses and combine some others. I need to really use what I have - and push it and find some limits (which is more me that anything else). So, my backpack is sitting here on the chair - essentially ready to go. Rather than having to delete some images on my PC to add new ones, I now have nearly 3TBs of additional space on the custom pc I just cobbled together. I just want to go out and enjoy shooting some images.

Right now, I don't need no full frame, or new glass, or whatever - I just want to try to find one of those truly magnificent images that I have not shot yet. I might never find it - but I think I can have an enjoyable time trying....

02-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^ This +1
02-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Right now, I don't need no full frame, or new glass, or whatever - I just want to try to find one of those truly magnificent images that I have not shot yet. I might never find it - but I think I can have an enjoyable time trying....
And there we have it - the photographer with an old compact camera is still going to get a better photo by being out taking photos than the 'photographer' who is sitting in front of a screen working out what new gear is needed for the 'perfect' image

Enjoying your photography - now there is a real key idea.
02-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well spoken, worth the read. Thank you.

02-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I will be sticking with my K-5 for a long time. As much as I'd like to see my legacy FF lenses perform in their intended focal lengths, the price tag of the new camera will not let me do that. While I am happy Ricoh has finally done this, I will not buy it new. Maybe in a couple of years. Besides, looking at what others have achieved with APS-C, I have a long way to go to justify such a purchase.
02-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yup. Well said!
02-13-2015, 03:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I could simply copy paste and post under my name (changing the location) - as these are almost my thoughts as well
Good luck in searching of "one of those truly magnificent images that I have not shot yet".

02-13-2015, 03:44 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no doubt that the easiest way to become richer is to become content with what you have.

I have been satisfied to this point with my gear, I haven't needed a new lens for the last couple of years -- haven't really even wanted one. I still think I will likely get a full frame camera. I know it is just a want, but I rationalize it by the fact that my wife shoots weddings and she thinks it will help her out in dark churches (it probably will), although she has gotten really good with flash and I imagine even with full frame she would still probably use flash quite a bit.

Photography is fun -- not just because of the photos, but because of the beauty I get to see when I go out to take them.

I don't know for sure where this road is leading, but it's going to be great!

02-13-2015, 03:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I share this sentiments too. And I am really happy and excited that pentax is moving forward.
I have all the gear I want. I just purchased my last gear a couple of months ago, a tamron 70-200 2.8.

What I want to do is to learn and improve my technic and learn how to process my shots.
Most importantly learn about light and continue to keep the passion alive.
02-13-2015, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
... The more I shoot, the better I get - and now is the time to do it, before it gets really hot here - its already 80 out during the day.

Well... it's an unseasonable -15F, this morning, so "sharpening the axe" is in order around here over the next few days. Need to be ready for the emergence of the Mourning Cloak and Eastern Comma butterflies in mid-March. They signal the start of our Spring... Still, the K-S2's features are flirting with me, but HEY... (back to reality) it's all about post processing, anyway.... right?

Cheers... M
02-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well said!
02-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well said, interested_observer. Your words are one of the best possible antidotes to my LBA....

I hope you'll understand if I'm not too sympathetic about your 80 degree weather....8 here this morning, with gusts to about 30.

But I hope you were well-rewarded on your day off with some very special shots.

Thanks for your helpful post and also to Rondec for reminding me that the easiest way to become richer is to become content with what you have....some truths that apply to much more than just my photo gear.
02-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K5 keeps soldiering on. Built like a tank. I like the improvements I see in the K3, maybe I'll get one and have the K5 converted to full-spectrum to do some other interesting things with. Who knows? It's all money, and right now I don't really need to spend any more. Well, maybe a DA300 and teleconverter to get more reach for our avian visitors.

I'm very glad to see the progress and advancement under Ricoh. I think we're getting close to what I'd consider a perfect enthusiast camera.
02-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With you 100%
02-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Very well said. I know I am not doing justice to the equipment that I already have (though I do have LBA for a wider, faster lens to use in low light... *sigh*)