Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital photography is much less expensive now. No development requirements, though of course you need a device on which to view and share your photos. The camera can be purchased for about what film bodies sold for "back in the day" if you buy an older model. Same with computers.

Smartphone pictures are also much better than the old 110 film or cheap-ass 35mm cameras we had as kids.

As others have said, an eye for composition knows no bounds. I have friends with much better artistic eyes than I do, but lack the gear I have. If anyone has gear they want to give away, let me know!

02-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The thing about bird photography is that you don't really have to be money rich to get good photos. You just have to be time rich. But if you aren't either it can kind of suck.
02-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If one cannot control
- focus
- aperture
- shutter speed
- and ISO

it is not photography. Smarthphone imaging is at best an instant camera snapping.
My smartphone can do all that.
02-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I wouldn't say it costs next to nothing.
It sure can. Digicams of past years turn up in the trash or for next to nothing used, no need for a smart phone (certainly not a current generation one). I recently found a fully functional powershot s45 in an 'exchange shack', 4mp of awesomeness and manual controls. Add in small usb key with portable version of faststone coupled with free computer use at my local library and all I'm lacking to become the next internet sensation are out-of-this-world creative skills. How much do those cost?

02-18-2015, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If one cannot control
- focus
- aperture
- shutter speed
- and ISO

it is not photography. Smarthphone imaging is at best an instant camera snapping. Which in old times was referred to as a camera for idiots. (Not my invention, people really called it so. But then world was healthier place, not burdened with dumbing political correctness). To buy a camera that can handle any of these parameters above, say a several years old DSLR with a nice kit lens, costs less than 1/3 of the price of a good smartphone (or a camera for idiots of old).

So we see how things have turned for the worse: instant and most silly (there is nothing smart about them) cameras are more expensive and less sophisticated than a proper camera which enables constant learning and reaching of new frontiers.
You're talking about cameras. Photography is the result, not the tools.
02-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is photography meant only for the rich?

If that is true, than by now I should be a millionaire already!

As a side note... not sure if it means anything, but I passed the quiz from that page with flying colors...
02-18-2015, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #37
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Define "rich". Everybody here is rich compared to the average earthling. Nobody here is rich compared to Bill Gates (a fairly safe assumption, I think).
02-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
If that is true, than by now I should be a millionaire already!

As a side note... not sure if it means anything, but I passed the quiz from that page with flying colors...
It means you know too much and we have to kill you..... or at least ban you from the forum. I got them all right too, but, in most cases, I preferred the P&S image to the FF image.

Last edited by normhead; 02-18-2015 at 09:14 AM.
02-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It sure can. Digicams of past years turn up in the trash or for next to nothing used, no need for a smart phone (certainly not a current generation one). I recently found a fully functional powershot s45 in an 'exchange shack', 4mp of awesomeness and manual controls. Add in small usb key with portable version of faststone coupled with free computer use at my local library and all I'm lacking to become the next internet sensation are out-of-this-world creative skills. How much do those cost?
If you live in a place where there are libraries with free computers.

Whether film or digital the problem will always the developing and printing of image information. Consumables is where the money is (and digital post-processing requires that someone supply electricity, software, equipment and time - the consumables - well beyond the means of 7.5 billion of the 8 billion people on earth).
02-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You're talking about cameras. Photography is the result, not the tools.
Photography is a process. A photograph is a product (a result).
02-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

Back in my dark years, when I always had Canon cameras, I had the S45, prior to that I had the S30 and moved up to a bridge S3-IS. They were actually really great cameras just not so much in terns of bokeh for a small sensor camera. Back then I thought, wow, I had a 3MP and with the S3-IS. I moved up to a 6MP. I thought why would anyone want more than 6MP on a compact camera. Today they would still take pretty good pics by what it was like 10 years ago
02-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
According to Branko Milanovic, a World Bank economist, the median global income in 2012 was around $1,225. I don't think someone with that kind of income cares much for owning any camera other than the one on their smart phone.
Was this intentionally funny?
02-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Was this intentionally funny?
I sure hope so
02-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Trick to cheap is buy the the previous model. I bought all my cameras and equipment used and behind one generation at a fraction of the retail price for new. Now if you make your living at this that's a different deal. But since it's only fun for me, I can be very happy on a budget! Which also helps out relations with the wife!
cameras don't talk back. fixes the wife problem.
02-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you live in a place where there are libraries with free computers.
Yes, of course. I wouldn't pretend a completely cash free option is available to everyone. My claim of free or even very cheap used cameras is also reliant on the electronics upgrade culture most of us here on PF live in.

Still a big advantage for digital over film in the consumables category- once you breach the camera barrier, digital photos can be processed and shared on a general usage device (computer with internet access) and without specialized chemicals. Possibly interesting and relevant here if you want to think globally, Number of Internet Users (2014) - Internet Live Stats claims 40% of the world are 'internet users', defined as someone who has access to the internet in some way from their home (not necessarily a computer).