Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is photography only for the rich.?

Check it our here. Many have proved endlessly in photos etc. that more expensive cameras are better. It's a crock. How appropriate a camera is for a given job is not determined by it's price.

Is photography meant only for the rich? - Quora

02-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is photography meant only for the rich?
No, its not
02-17-2015, 02:29 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The question isn't one that web resolution photos can answer. However anyone with a camera (including phones) is rich compared to the masses of truly poor people in the world.
02-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would agree that it is not. I've seen what a pro can do with a cheap camera and I've also seen what a beginner can do with really great gear. Cost of the equipment aside, it matters more where you point it, a lot more.

02-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Heh, I do it and am far from rich.
02-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it is. At least a rich person can take up photography before becoming poor afterwards.

Of course there are the techies who have to have the latest and greatest so they can complain about spending so much money for their stuff and can't get a good shot to save their, uh, selves.

No, of course not. Photography is in the eye of the shooter not in what he shoots with.
02-17-2015, 02:45 PM - 6 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

no matter what you start with, photography can quickly make you poor.

02-17-2015, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

It's a hobby/pastime for the affluent - an iphone may take 'good' pictures but they cost more than many people's yearly income.
02-17-2015, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Trick to cheap is buy the the previous model. I bought all my cameras and equipment used and behind one generation at a fraction of the retail price for new. Now if you make your living at this that's a different deal. But since it's only fun for me, I can be very happy on a budget! Which also helps out relations with the wife!
02-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the gear itself is less important than:

1. The eye to see/find the image worth capturing ("talent")
2. The knowledge and ingenuity to use the gear correctly for the situation ("skill")
3. A subject worth shooting (location and/or opportunity)

None of this requires money so much as patience, determination, and access to the necessary information. Coincidentally, those three things are just as important in shopping for cheap gear!
02-17-2015, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

The gear trap isn't unique to photography, but of all the 'arts' it's probably the most prone.

Reminds me of what a record label owner once told me.
He said:

"You wouldn't believe the crappy stereo I own. I just can't ever save enough for something better,
I spend all my money on the music." Paraphrased from memory of a conversation we had over a
decade ago.
02-17-2015, 03:31 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I'm disabled, and financially very poor within the context of my relatively affluent country. But I'm still able to enjoy photography using carefully chosen older equipment, and I have a computer and broadband to type this post with, so to many people in the world today I would seem impossibly wealthy. Before I became disabled, I was lucky enough to enjoy an elite education and a successful career in the travel industry, so I remain culturally rich even though I'm financially poor. As a poor person in a technological 21st Century society, I enjoy luxuries that even the richest few could never have imagined only a century ago.
02-17-2015, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wealth is relative.

Generalizations being what they are (there will always be someone to contradict them, and take offense) if you have the money and leisure to read this you are wealthy. That being said, I would sell my K10D and A35~105/3.5 for the equivalent of a month or two of cigarettes, so good .jpg files need not require expensive equipment.

The problem is, how does a poor person turn good .jpg files into viewable images? Whatever he uses to uppload it so it can be viewed costs MONEY - and a monthly subscription. Don't even begin to ask about .dng files. What about cheap film cameras? How does a poor person turn good film exposures into good prints?

Over time, whether anaolg or digital, processing and consumables are where the expense lies.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-18-2015 at 06:33 AM.
02-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
no matter what you start with, photography can quickly make you poor.
If I ever win a lottery, I'll just keep shooting until the money is all gone.
02-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The more money you spend on something doesn't guarantee better outcomes, or greater happiness. For photography or anything else.