Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They're not a tough crowd at all, as long as everything you post is worthy of being published in National Geographic.
You got it.

02-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea there was a photo critique area. Wow. Sorry guys. I'll try to get in there more. I participate in the Single In monthly photo challenge and there are a lot of comments exchanged and a good community of people to bounce off of.
02-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Norm. Unfortunately users groups don't seem to allow likes, but you didn't post it in the Owls thread of the birding users group, I think for that exact reason.

Ps make that 7 likes
02-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Norm. Unfortunately users groups don't seem to allow likes, but you didn't post it in the Owls thread of the birding users group, I think for that exact reason.

Ps make that 7 likes
Honestly I didn't think it was that good a picture. I was losing light quickly, it doesn't have the detail of a DA*. It looks good enough web sized, but the pictures I really like maintain detail down to pixel peeping, and this one is a long way from that. Posted it because I was so happy to get a picture of an owl after all these years, not because I though it was great picture.

The funny thing about that is in the Backyard Bird group a couple people posted owls pictures I thought were better after me and didn't get the same response. I think given the nature of that group, my feeder with a little Chickadee on it in the background was a big selling point, but who knows?

02-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I see the appeal of this one over the one you felt was better. They are both good but there is something special to this one.

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 06:55 PM ----------

Honestly I didn't think it was that good a picture. I was losing light quickly, it doesn't have the detail of a DA*. It looks good enough web sized, but the pictures I really like maintain detail down to pixel peeping, and this one is a long way from that. Posted it because I was so happy to get a picture of an owl after all these years, not because I though it was great picture.

The funny thing about that is in the Backyard Bird group a couple people posted owls pictures I thought were better after me and didn't get the same response. I think given the nature of that group, my feeder with a little Chickadee on it in the background was a big selling point, but who knows?
I think the shallow telephoto view makes it appear as though the owl is right next to the chickadee - which makes it a very special shot. I understand what you mean - sometimes you get recognized for work that isn't your best but it elicits a reaction. It's fun to ponder but useless to worry - right?
02-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I think deep down, people know when they see a shot that could never have been planned, and it gives it an extra boost just for appreciation that the photographer was in the right spot at the right time, and unless they get really lucky the shot won't be able to be duplicated again. At this point even a cell phone shot can get raves.

My first flickr Explore was from a cheap Kodak camera, and I didn't even realize it had been explored until like a year or two later.

My highest ranked Explore (all the way to 29!) was a lightning storm in which I was really, REALLY fortunate to have had an amazing vantage point with the storm tracking just right to get everything without actually being anywhere near the thing myself. I'll never duplicate that moment, and I know it, for which I'm grateful I was there at the time to catch it.

Then theres just the random randomness of flickr's Explore in general. My second highest ranked was... leaves. Seriously.

So don't always count on flickr to be that great a measuring stick. It can be really, REALLY random.