Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Likes are very arbitrary, whether for photos or other posts. Sometimes a silly joke here gets a like while a thoughtful, analytical post that saves somebody $1000 in camera repairs does not.

Facebook likes are bizarre. I don't post on FB but I follow some real life friends there. A likes in my circle of friends seems to be acknowledgement rather than approval. "I lost my job" and "I got a raise" both get likes.

02-22-2015, 10:56 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forget FB likes (as noted above, they are sort of bizarre), how about Flickr views/favs? If you can manage to get "explored" you get enough attention for even the neediest ego...

8,000+ views in the first two days
316 favs

...probably would not qualify for the exclusive gallery here

Steve
02-22-2015, 10:58 PM - 6 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

We do it for motivational purpose ..... I received zero likes for these;

02-22-2015, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
There are definitely some great photographers here. I have had the same experience more or less. I don't profess to be some master photographer but I have had the same thing happen. Part of it is that PentaxForum as great as it is, is not that focused on artistic demonstration. Based on my observation the majority of posts here are technical in some way, shape, or form. It's mainly about the 'stuff' you buy.

Of course we need to know that stuff and often we re-hash the same things over and over and over again... but I wish the forum as a whole were more focused on showcasing people's work and more focused on the artistry involved in great shots.

We will forever have those who will ask about resolution, or lens testing, or whatever but I don't know how we would encourage more focus on the end results.
Oddly there are a few threads that I follow that have photos without much else. They are showcasing their best work, and some thread show people learning the craft and improving over time. There are also threads as you describe. Depends where you look I suppose.

A customer asset management software system that I was using by necessity implemented some stupid like system for the vendors. They removed it after a bunch of grizzled trades and business people screamed at them no doubt using obscenities. They were trying to elicit some competition for likes among the users of the system. Good grief. We're talking about the real world, fixing lights and changing motors, not some stupid teenage angst stuff.

I post my shots and I know if they are really really good if I get two comments. That is a much more meaningful feedback for me. I see the other work posted and it sets a high bar for excellence.

02-23-2015, 01:31 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Nope, you received my like in raynox club.

Comparing fb and pf likes is like comparing apples and tomatoes. Totally different things.
02-23-2015, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

On the other hand... is your goal in taking those photos for people to see them and enjoy them? Do they really need to deeply appreciate the technical skill that went into it, or have a fine understanding of the artistic merit, for it to matter? You posted a cool photo of an owl for a large group of people who love seeing them. That's probably a larger net positive in happiness in the world than posting it here will get you, even if the people here will enjoy it the 'right' way. And since you can do both with minimal effort, hey, why not?
02-23-2015, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Oddly there are a few threads that I follow that have photos without much else. They are showcasing their best work, and some thread show people learning the craft and improving over time. There are also threads as you describe. Depends where you look I suppose.

I post my shots and I know if they are really really good if I get two comments. That is a much more meaningful feedback for me. I see the other work posted and it sets a high bar for excellence.
Yes, exactly. I come to the forum for info on how to improve, been reading the Q theads too. When I post here someone can tell me how it could of been done better. Which is great. When I post on facebook I put up photos I know my family will enjoy. They don't care what camera/lens I used or if it was tripod or hand held. They just like viewing the photos.my mom uses my photos for art, oil painting and pastel. My aunt and my Cousin Susie have since been bit by the photography bug too now, lol. Now and then they ask me a camera related question, so I either find the answer on the forum or google it for them.

Last edited by sherrvonne; 02-23-2015 at 02:20 AM.
02-23-2015, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Forget FB likes (as noted above, they are sort of bizarre), how about Flickr views/favs? If you can manage to get "explored" you get enough attention for even the neediest ego...

8,000+ views in the first two days
316 favs

...probably would not qualify for the exclusive gallery here

Steve
Flickr likes are pretty silly and who can predict when their photo will get explored? I certainly can't. This photo was explored and got 333 likes:

And this photo (that I happen to like better) got 13 likes.

The whole explore thing is odd. You just have to get the right group of "friends" on Flickr who will like your photos in high enough percentages. But I don't particularly care of 10,000 internet folks happen to see a photo of mine or not.

As to the forum here, it is true that you are lucky to get four or five likes on a post. I think part of it is due to the fact that the photo threads don't have nearly as much traffic as the rumor mill threads or, the Pentax is dying threads. But I still get a lot more gratification sharing a photo here than I do on Flickr (which I mainly do as a place to store photos that I repost elsewhere).
02-23-2015, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I'm not on FB, so no 'Likes' for anyone will be coming from me.
02-23-2015, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #25

Photo and camera sites are not good for sending photos. There are too many good photographers around there.
To get faves and comments in flickr you need to be in right groups and do some fave whoring 😉 or you have to be ultimately good.

Lightbulb I commented your photos and liked also 😊.

I put my shot on critique section and no comments 😐
www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/289307-misc-chinon.html
02-23-2015, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
I put my shot on critique section and no comments ��
www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/289307-misc-chinon.html
It's unclear what bothers you there. I see a good banner picture.

i use flickr more like uploader, and don't care about likes there. I post pics on facebook not publicly, but for friends only, so I know what to expect, I have good friends
The only informative likes are here.

Last edited by micromacro; 02-23-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
02-23-2015, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
It's unclear what bothers you there. I see a good banner picture.

i use flickr more like uploader, and don't care about likes there. I post pics on flickr not publicly, but for friends only, so I know what to expect, I have good friends
The only informative likes are here.
I like it too, but if some one some toughs how to make it better with different light etc.

I also use flickr for place to keep my puplic photos, from there you can link them to forums like PF.
02-23-2015, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
There are definitely some great photographers here. I have had the same experience more or less. I don't profess to be some master photographer but I have had the same thing happen. Part of it is that PentaxForum as great as it is, is not that focused on artistic demonstration. Based on my observation the majority of posts here are technical in some way, shape, or form. It's mainly about the 'stuff' you buy.

Of course we need to know that stuff and often we re-hash the same things over and over and over again... but I wish the forum as a whole were more focused on showcasing people's work and more focused on the artistry involved in great shots.

We will forever have those who will ask about resolution, or lens testing, or whatever but I don't know how we would encourage more focus on the end results.
I think that depends on where you're posting and what you're reading. There are a lot of people that are gear obsessed, here and in any hobby. With cameras/photographs, when you see an image that you like, maybe you want to know how to make one like it, because the voice of that image matches some artistic voice you would like to express. At that point you want to know how the image was created. So you get to comment, compliment, and inquire about technique, which is going to include some discussion about the gear that was used. That's just wanting to learn and asking to be taught. I'm not challenging that a lot of people DO get hung up on freakin' megapixels and $5,000 lenses before they actually go out and make any damn pictures, but don't let them spoil the fun of making a photograph. Find the peeps on PentaxForums that just enjoy creating an image. I promise they're here!
02-23-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At those other sites it is easier to give likes - just click a star or a thumb placed in an easy to see location.
Here you have to search for the thumb which changes location depending on the type of thread you posted in, then you are not done you Stil have to add a comment and or confirm.

It's easier to quote and comment really.

And some threads I visit the content is so consistently amazing I tend to only say something when the pic strikes a chord.
02-23-2015, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote

Those are awesome! Do you mind me asking what gear you used?