Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is tough to be certain that you will be able to get all you want out of a single exposure due to the high dynamic range of the image. Shooting multiple exposures allows for a couple of different options to get decently exposed shadow areas, while keeping the highlights in the sky.
+1 When taking landscapes, usually on a tripod, and fussing with filters and waiting for the exact right moment, why not bracket? It is just a setting in the camera and you spent 15 minutes or maybe several hours waiting for that shot. I cover myself all ways I can and that includes bracketing. Most times I pick the best and dump the rest, sometimes 2 or more get blended in photoshop, or maybe the image needs the full HDR route. Or sometimes I use more than one method to get a different look. Process one normally as best as possible and still go HDR on the set for a different look.

03-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #32

Well said Rondec, we bracket for safety and use the ones that work for us. Nice photo above and it is a good example of how bracketing with HDR can make a really nice photo without looking fake or over touched up.
03-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #33

How to exposure-bracket shots with flash?

Bracketing flash shots would be more needed than shots in ambient light.
Bracketing fill-in ratio, bracketing for flashed highlights (bride gown) / shadows (tie suit), bracketing for ambient highlights (sun) / shadows (indoor remote corners)

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't use bracketing for shots where I use flash.
03-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
Do many people use this regularly?
With a single RAW file off a modern sensor it's been my experience that bracketing is very rarely needed anymore if all you want is more DR.
Going beyond simple bracketing for increased DR to also do tone mapping is another issue all together..

1. Unprocessed RAW
2. After processing in Photoshop

Last edited by wildman; 03-19-2015 at 04:34 PM.
03-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #35

Very nice!
03-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I really don't like the looks of the interior shots at all!!!
I agree with that 100%!
03-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Main reason why I don't do exposure bracketing is because then you end up with 5x or 3x as many photos. HD space, time to process,.. but I would recommend bracketing for those times when you need to get a shot with good exposure. Studio work, portraiture.. EV bracketing is another tool that can help